Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 3, 2024, 11:43 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some religions are secular- Atheists should oppose these too
RE: Some religions are secular- Atheists should oppose these too
(September 17, 2012 at 12:14 pm)genkaus Wrote: - "All sex is rape" - yeah, that's a good one. I find such concepts to be more demeaning to women than what feminists would realize. Basically, what they are saying is that even if a women consents to sex, she is not really consenting but being overpowered by the male will. That would automatically put women in an inferior position, which, I should think, goes against the feminist agenda. Another example would be having special quotas for women in jobs or college admission. Even though it's done in name of social equality, I would think that most women would find it insulting to be told effectively that "you can't get in on your own merit, but since we care about social equality, we are letting you in anyway".

I'm with you here. I don't like this victim based feminism that seems to be taking over. The kinds of feminist role models I like are people like Billy Jean King who, when someone said he can beat her because he's a man, she took him to school and beat him. I strongly appreciate tough girls who go out there and get done what they think is important, not the whiners who just sit there and moan about these first world problems they see as a sign of oppression. And, yes, as a woman, I resent being told I'm a victim whether I like it or not.

Quote:- Regarding the relevance of biological differences - they may not be as irrelevant as you may think. For example, not just upper body strength but the capacity for physical endurance is greater in men as well. While the obvious implications are preferential male selection in fields such as military and police, but the same concept is also applicable in many other blue collar jobs, such as construction work. Similarly, there are other jobs where women are more suitable. While this is often held up as an example of gender inequality, I don't see why gender equality should be necessarily attained in these situations.

You have a point. I think a better goal than gender equality would be a society with gender blindness: whether or not you get a certain job is based entirely on how good you are at performing the duties of the job and not on sex/race/sexual orientation. I mean, if I'm in a house fire and a firefighter is getting me out, I just want to make sure the firefighter is strong enough to do it without having to drag me over burning shrapnel; as long as they're able to do that, I don't care what their gender is. Dismissing an otherwise qualified candidate because of their gender is bad, but it's also bad to hire someone who would otherwise be unqualified just so you can fulfill a quota.
I live on facebook. Come see me there. http://www.facebook.com/tara.rizzatto

"If you cling to something as the absolute truth and you are caught in it, when the truth comes in person to knock on your door you will refuse to let it in." ~ Siddhartha Gautama

Messages In This Thread
RE: Some religions are secular- Atheists should oppose these too - by TaraJo - September 17, 2012 at 1:26 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What does Sam Harris mean by saying that religions are failed sciences? FlatAssembler 18 1205 January 23, 2024 at 1:32 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Sexual Abuse in Social Context: Clergy and other (Secular) Professionals. Nishant Xavier 61 4094 July 16, 2023 at 1:54 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Faux News: Atheism is a religion, too TaraJo 53 24946 October 9, 2018 at 10:13 pm
Last Post: Alan V
  Most humans aren't too logical when it comes to world views and how to go about it. Mystic 28 4100 October 9, 2018 at 8:59 am
Last Post: Alan V
  Me too Foxaèr 6 1341 October 7, 2018 at 10:08 pm
Last Post: outtathereligioncloset
  How would Abrahamic religions end? mota 18 8781 August 2, 2018 at 6:56 am
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  Are some theists afraid of atheists? Der/die AtheistIn 146 49249 June 21, 2018 at 6:29 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  These People Truly Have No Limits athstmike 18 3367 June 13, 2018 at 3:22 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Why Atheism/Secular Humanism... Part II TheReal 53 26128 April 23, 2018 at 4:48 pm
Last Post: Mystic
  I enjoy far right atheists more than lgbt marxist atheists Sopra 4 2236 February 28, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet