Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 3, 2024, 1:34 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some religions are secular- Atheists should oppose these too
RE: Some religions are secular- Atheists should oppose these too
(September 19, 2012 at 4:14 pm)Ryantology Wrote: What I'm basically asking is, how does one disbelieve in gods while accepting other forms of the supernatural as potentially valid phenomena? My atheism is based on the idea that no credible evidence exists to suggest that any supernatural being has ever been recorded to exist, nor any supernatural phenomena has ever happened. I disbelieve in gods simply because they are included under that classification.

TaraJo Wrote:Even that isn't entirely accurate; people can blindly believe there is no God simply because that's how they were raised. Skepticism is about questioning everything and if you just blindly accept that God is bullshit without questioning it, you aren't really skeptic. I've always said, I'd rather have a discussion with an intelligent theist who has put intelligent thought into their beliefs than an atheist who is just blindly following what his parents told him to believe and doesn't know why he's an atheist.

The only way that someone could believe in the supernatural and not god would be if their lack of belief in god was not due to a lack of evidence for his existence, but because they were raised atheist without developing critical thinking skills as to why it is illogical to believe in god. I think these cases would be rare, but I don't know for sure.
John Adams Wrote:The Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Some religions are secular- Atheists should oppose these too - by Darkstar - September 19, 2012 at 4:35 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What does Sam Harris mean by saying that religions are failed sciences? FlatAssembler 18 1205 January 23, 2024 at 1:32 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Sexual Abuse in Social Context: Clergy and other (Secular) Professionals. Nishant Xavier 61 4094 July 16, 2023 at 1:54 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Faux News: Atheism is a religion, too TaraJo 53 24946 October 9, 2018 at 10:13 pm
Last Post: Alan V
  Most humans aren't too logical when it comes to world views and how to go about it. Mystic 28 4100 October 9, 2018 at 8:59 am
Last Post: Alan V
  Me too Foxaèr 6 1341 October 7, 2018 at 10:08 pm
Last Post: outtathereligioncloset
  How would Abrahamic religions end? mota 18 8781 August 2, 2018 at 6:56 am
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  Are some theists afraid of atheists? Der/die AtheistIn 146 49249 June 21, 2018 at 6:29 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  These People Truly Have No Limits athstmike 18 3367 June 13, 2018 at 3:22 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Why Atheism/Secular Humanism... Part II TheReal 53 26128 April 23, 2018 at 4:48 pm
Last Post: Mystic
  I enjoy far right atheists more than lgbt marxist atheists Sopra 4 2236 February 28, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet