Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 31, 2024, 12:09 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Christians celebrate rape, torture, slavery and genocide.
RE: Christians celebrate rape, torture, slavery and genocide.
(November 14, 2012 at 1:27 pm)John V Wrote: 1. The evidence line is a red herring, and red herrings are frequently acts of desperation intended to divert attention from a losing argument.

2. As previously noted, the written word isn’t meaningless just because the author can’t be quizzed.
Am I losing some argument? I see our disconnect about "the written word" now. You're using it as a pronoun for the biblical narrative, I wasn't. I was wondering why my criticizing that -particular- collection of written words somehow made the written word worthless. Of course, this isn't really a very good comparison to make (and your comment about quizing authors lend more weight to my own position than what you seem to be suggesting). We can imagine a great deal about the opinions of an author from what they've written (of course..it's important to know who the author was....isn't it.....) but in doing so how do we prevent our own opinions from being smuggled in?

I've explained why this particular collection of written words is meaningless in my opinion, our inability to quiz the author doesn't even factor into my criticism until the author can be identified (something that I can admit to being completely puzzled about whenever I get into a conversation like this...but -somebody wrote it..and we can proceed from there...which I have). Whoever the author was, they didn't seem to think that they were required to elaborate on a great majority of the opinions expressed. Do you have any compelling reasons for dismissing my remarks so casually?

Quote:I don’t have explanations for my tastes, so no, not compelling.
Well, that's unfortunate, but apparently I do..so compelling that you somehow felt that they became objective...as if by magic.

Quote:Such as?
Such as the ones I gave you for my taste in vanilla. Such as the ones you have for your own tastes but would rather stonewall me about.

Quote:Yes you do. I’ve been arguing that opinions are subjective.
I wouldn't have presumed to extend that to the opinions of a god in your estimation. Are you of the opinion that god's subjective opinions are the correct ones to hold?

Quote:Feel free to try.
LOL, I don't make it a habit to play a rigged game. Your participation and disclosure would be required, you've already demonstrated that you are unwilling to provide either.

Quote:My tastes, which are subjective and for which there is no compelling reason.
Jerkoff It would appear that your opinions, like the opinions of a god, cannot be elaborated upon. That makes them quite unlike my own...and helps to drive my point even harder. Look at how abruptly meaningful conversation ends from this point.

Quote:Please feel free to leave. The conversation with Darkstar was better. You butted into it, you know.
Sounds like an opinion, and a subjective one, but it's better is it? Bet you could elaborate on that..you could explain how it was better. Do you think you have compelling reasons for holding this opinion? Or, maybe, it's just another matter of your inexplicable tastes with no compelling reasons to support it?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Christians celebrate rape, torture, slavery and genocide. - by The Grand Nudger - November 14, 2012 at 2:24 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Christians vs Christians (yec) Fake Messiah 52 8124 January 31, 2019 at 2:08 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The Rape of Dinah. Ethics of priestly class. Collective guilt Graufreud 20 2247 July 25, 2018 at 12:38 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Biblical Date Rape chimp3 38 7101 July 29, 2016 at 10:35 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  How long was the rape scandal going on? Nihilist Virus 11 2898 June 13, 2016 at 8:26 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Why do Christians become Christians? SteveII 168 31733 May 20, 2016 at 8:43 pm
Last Post: drfuzzy
  The Immorality of God - Slavery in the Old Testament athrock 307 37648 January 31, 2016 at 5:03 pm
Last Post: Aegon
Video The Bible and Slavery - Kyle Butt IanHulett 12 3268 September 3, 2015 at 3:55 pm
Last Post: Chad32
  Christians. Prove That You Are Real/True Christians Nope 155 52340 September 1, 2015 at 1:26 pm
Last Post: Pyrrho
  Why Do We Think Slavery is Evil? Rhondazvous 96 17339 July 3, 2015 at 3:24 am
Last Post: Redbeard The Pink
  Three Ways to Torture Demons You Haven't Heard of Yet JesusHChrist 15 4947 February 16, 2015 at 8:07 pm
Last Post: vorlon13