Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 23, 2024, 10:42 am

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Attn: Christians, We've Heard Them Already
RE: Attn: Christians, We've Heard Them Already
(June 14, 2013 at 1:05 pm)Stimbo Wrote: I realise this was in response to DP but if you'll indulge:

Other than the minor point that saying there isn't a god is not a standard atheist position - let alone a deist one! - comparing gods to planets is a bit silly. We tend not to beieve the existence of planets simply on faith, as is the requirement for a god. If I had one other real, observable god to examine, I'd have very little trouble believing in a second or a third or more.

It's not a question of refusing to believe. Again you're conflating genuine experiential, if not quantifiable concepts with purely faith-based ones. Until any god is even shown to be a thing, why should anyone believe in it?

Well, let me first say: that people here slip in and out of metaphors like silk underwear, and use them accordingly in arguments. So, I will in the future abstain from using them, except in extreme lack of understandings.

I can completely understand your point. The big problem is that every atheist has a different opinion. And when I address one, another hits me like a ton of bricks!

Yes, our religion is faith based. Also, being based in scripture and revelations from the Holy Spirit!

How, pray-tell can someone comment on the Holy Spirit unless they aspire to, or experienced Him?

It's really hard to describe the benefits of Faith. And believe me, I would love to share the experiences that I personally have had. But I've tried. No one cares. Everyone finds a way to debunk them. These "miracles" are too important, and precious to me to make light of.

So, we are at a stalemate. You need proof. But to get your proof you need to actually believe first.

(June 14, 2013 at 1:05 pm)Stimbo Wrote: The Problem Of Evil doesn't help the theists' case, certainly. However it's not the primary reason for me, at least, not to like this god of yours. It's that the character as written is clearly dangerously insane. Not exactly what you want in an infinitely powerful being, really.
I agree! But...He is eerily similar to us! At least in the "absolute power" realm. eh?

(June 14, 2013 at 1:05 pm)Stimbo Wrote: And this is different from "might makes right" how, exactly?

Well....again...I dunno? I don't really think about the OT! I like Psalms and Wisdom...and a few of the prophets....but its ancient history to me. The Gospel of Jesus is where I'm at. And Jesus says "His word and scrafice" is whats important. You won't find me defending much in the OT.

All that I can say is that since I let God into my life it's been a breeze! Not that anything different happened to me. The same shit that everyone goes through, I do also. But, I have many, many good moments now that I never had.

Like I've said, I have a lot of life experience and my career has put me in front of every kind of person known to man. I see what people are w/o God, and I've seen them who have Him.

Are there people that love God and are fuckups? Most definitely! Unfortunately, and unwillingly I know several. But, that's our cross to bear as Chrisitians. Specifically Catholics.

But I promise you, and everyone else who cares, that I would fight the evil-doers unto death to save a little one.

And I really wish God could reveal Himself to you and the others who need proof! I pray for it all the time! Because there is no greater joy to a Chrisitian than to be with all our brothers and sisters in paradise!

Thanks for your responses Stmbo! Ron
Quis ut Deus?

Messages In This Thread
RE: Attn: Christians, We've Heard Them Already - by ronedee - June 14, 2013 at 2:21 pm
RE: Attn: Christians, We've Heard Them Already - by Palko - June 17, 2013 at 11:22 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Christians vs Christians (yec) Fake Messiah 52 8086 January 31, 2019 at 2:08 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Jesus already came (at lest for some) Fake Messiah 60 15626 July 22, 2017 at 1:04 am
Last Post: Astonished
  How Do Christians Know When God Is Speaking to Them? Rhondazvous 70 10288 July 5, 2016 at 12:24 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Why do Christians become Christians? SteveII 168 31594 May 20, 2016 at 8:43 pm
Last Post: drfuzzy
  The Second Coming already happened??? Jehanne 30 4210 March 6, 2016 at 11:04 pm
Last Post: God of Mr. Hanky
  Creatards are Idiots. We Already Know That. Minimalist 19 3820 February 25, 2016 at 5:38 am
Last Post: Nihilist Virus
  Christians. Prove That You Are Real/True Christians Nope 155 52148 September 1, 2015 at 1:26 pm
Last Post: Pyrrho
  What's the most face-palm-worthy statement you have ever heard from a priest/preacher drfuzzy 150 30114 August 29, 2015 at 12:46 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Heard about this snake idiocy before abaris 28 6747 July 30, 2015 at 1:00 pm
Last Post: Spooky
  Loving Him means loving "them" Strider 9 2988 February 21, 2015 at 8:59 am
Last Post: Cyberman