Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 24, 2024, 6:49 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheists and Agnostics risk infinite loss for no gain
RE: Atheists and Agnostics risk infinite loss for no gain
(October 1, 2013 at 3:30 pm)Beta Ray Bill Wrote:
(October 1, 2013 at 8:18 am)SavedByGraceThruFaith Wrote: Here is what Jesus Christ instructed.

Matthew 5:44
But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;

You said this quite a while ago, but I had to make a point on it, since I used the same quote in one of my threads:

http://atheistforums.org/thread-20938.html

I never thought I'd be telling a Bible-hugger that you're taking it out of context but that's just what happened. Read the full quote:

“You have heard the law that says, ‘Love your neighbor’ and hate your enemy. But I say, love your enemies! Pray for those who persecute you! In that way, you will be acting as true children of your Father in heaven. For he gives his sunlight to both the evil and the good, and he sends rain on the just and the unjust alike. If you love only those who love you, what reward is there for that? Even corrupt tax collectors do that much. If you are kind only to your friends, how are you different from anyone else? (Matthew 5:43-47 )

There is much more to this scripture than just what you posted. Let me tell you how I analyzed it:

a) Don't follow the law, love your enemies. Can do!
b) Asking God to help your enemies is the proper way to do things. That just feels empty. I'd feel greater satisfaction if I did the helping, not God.
c) God rewards and punishes the good and the bad evenly. So, what's the difference? If neither way has the upper hand, why are there commandments?
d) I thought we were supposed to love our enemies. Why is Jesus bad-mouthing corrupt tax collectors? Is that showing love for a common enemy?
e) So if you're kind to people that aren't your friends, you are better than anybody else? That just feels kinda wrong to me.

This scripture, as with a lot more of the stuff from the Bible, is flawed. It makes little sense, and shows that Jesus was a bigoted man, just like everyone else.

So, don't preach to me, kind sir, unless you are willing to explain the true meanings of everything you say.

While I do not disagree with your assertion on the bible as flawed. I do not see any negativity with this verse at all. Granted this only beckons the flaws of interpretation anyway but here it goes.

a) Don't follow the law, love your enemies. Can do!

(well we can agree here being kind to even your enemies is a good thing to do.)

b) Asking God to help your enemies is the proper way to do things. That just feels empty. I'd feel greater satisfaction if I did the helping, not God.

(Well according to their religion praying in effect is effective. With that said, under that world view that is a good thing. You are basically thinking good thoughts (since prayer is just mental anyway) towards your persecutors. So here I find it noble that someone would wish good things even on their enemies.)

c) God rewards and punishes the good and the bad evenly. So, what's the difference? If neither way has the upper hand, why are there commandments?

(That really just means god provides basic needs for anyone, most likely to demonstrate the concept of love and mercy. Granted OT contradicts this god Jesus speaks of.)

d) I thought we were supposed to love our enemies. Why is Jesus bad-mouthing corrupt tax collectors? Is that showing love for a common enemy?

(How is he bad-mouthing them, roman tax collectors were considered scum in that day. They basically took more than was asked so they could line their own pockets. It is a cultural term because people can relate a concept to that word. Very common practice among public speakers by the way, watch a politician or speaker talk sometime. You will find they will do this too.

e) So if you're kind to people that aren't your friends, you are better than anybody else? That just feels kinda wrong to me.

(Well oddly enough you just thrown out a verse that is wonderful to use against hypocritical Christians. The anaology here is basically saying, most people are dicks so do not be a dick and you will not be most people. Kinda hard to see how that is misunderstood.

I say these things because I have education in biblical studies and what not. I am not debating on the validity of the biblical texts, I just felt there was some bias in your interpretation. Then again that is an issue with the bible right? Always people adding their interpretation? In short I agree with your main point Beta Ray Bill (awesome comic BTW), reading the text in cultural context is important.
[Image: grumpy-cat-and-jesus-meme-died-for-sins.jpg]

I would be a televangelist....but I have too much of a soul.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Atheists and Agnostics risk infinite loss for no gain - by bladevalant546 - October 1, 2013 at 3:50 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Big Grin Texax High school students stand up to Atheists: Zero Atheists care Joods 16 3469 October 23, 2017 at 1:55 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  My case against Creationism and Infinite regression ErGingerbreadMandude 60 10296 April 26, 2016 at 10:59 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Churchie Fuckwits Preparing For The Loss Minimalist 31 5496 September 8, 2014 at 4:02 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Atheists and Agnostics have God Phatt Matt s 43 6382 April 6, 2014 at 5:18 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Question for Deists and Agnostics themonkeyman 14 2848 November 19, 2013 at 5:02 pm
Last Post: Jacob(smooth)
  How big a risk are we atheists taking by not capitulating to Christian hegemony? Whateverist 26 8077 September 2, 2012 at 6:41 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused
  How does Christianity gain ADULT converts? Marnie 25 9956 July 20, 2012 at 9:30 pm
Last Post: Polaris
  Why do christians needlessly risk their immortal souls? GhostofZeus 6 3343 June 18, 2012 at 2:20 am
Last Post: Godscreated