Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: July 3, 2024, 5:51 am

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Christians, what is your VERY BEST arguments for the existence of God?
RE: Christians, what is your VERY BEST arguments for the existence of God?
Quote:You would be coorect, haha! When one really thinks about this, to say that something is 'mere coincidence' is a rather feeble counter-point, and a strawman at that.

"A straw man argument is an informal fallacy based on misrepresentation of an opponent's position.[1] To "attack a straw man" is to create the illusion of having refuted a proposition by substituting a superficially similar proposition (the "straw man"), and refuting it, without ever having actually refuted the original position." - Wikipedia

I did not misrepresent your position and then refute that misrepresentation, thus I did not create a straw man.

A rather feeble counter-point? That is up to opinion. Frankly, I think that saying God influenced your friend is a rather feeble and naive explanation for what happened. Forget about how the brain and body works making you react to every situation you are in, God did it.

Quote:Have you ever formed a strong emotional connection with someone in your life? Most people have. Has tehre ever come a time when, despite your own plans, that person asked you to make a decision between your plan, option A, and their plan, option B? Now let's propose that normally you wouldn't go with option B, but that you were so emotionally connected to the person offering it to you, you were instantly able to decipher it's preprecussions and purpose in relation to you, and went with option B.

You did not go with option B because the person offering it to you took away your free will, but because you understood perfectly why option B was there and in what ways it could benefit you. God presents us with the options, and the capability to nderstand those options, but if we choose to deny that, it muddles the reasoning and ultimately decisions become unclear and hard. He doesn't take away the will of the person, just gives them the answers and the tools with which to find them.

The person did not take away my free will. With your hypothetical situation, you said that I chose to go with option B; therefore, I made a decision based off of free will. To take away free will would require an external force (god) to make me choose a path. The person in your hypothetical is not making me go with them.

Perhaps you'll counter and say, "well god didn't make my friend choose those options."
Free will is defined as "the power of making free choices unconstrained by external agencies" (http://wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/web...ree%20will) Whether your god made an option look more appealing or forced you to do something, that violates the free will he has given you because the choice is no longer unconstrained.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Christians, what is your VERY BEST arguments for the existence of God? - by Zhalentine - January 27, 2010 at 7:57 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What are the best arguments against Christian Science? FlatAssembler 8 602 September 17, 2023 at 6:49 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  [Serious] For former Christians only, why did you leave your faith? Jehanne 159 14954 January 16, 2023 at 7:36 am
Last Post: h4ym4n
  Existence of Marcion questioned? JairCrawford 28 2305 March 4, 2022 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  VERY Basic Doctrines of Calvinism johndoe122931 18 2557 June 7, 2021 at 3:13 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Spiritual realm is very likely real (demonic possession)? Flavius007 23 2138 May 13, 2021 at 8:58 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
Question [Serious] Christians what would change your mind? Xaventis 154 10655 August 20, 2020 at 7:11 am
  Christians vs Christians (yec) Fake Messiah 52 8364 January 31, 2019 at 2:08 pm
  Christians: What line are you unwilling to cross for God? Cecelia 96 11355 September 5, 2018 at 6:19 pm
  The existence of god Foxaèr 16 3055 May 5, 2018 at 3:42 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Christians: Why does the answer have to be god? IanHulett 67 15473 April 5, 2018 at 3:33 pm