Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: July 1, 2024, 5:37 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why Religious Proof Or Disproof Is Unimportant
Why Religious Proof Or Disproof Is Unimportant
Theists (all franchises) are often asked to prove that their god(s) exist. Non-theists (all franchises) are often asked to disprove the existence of god(s). Proofs of this sort seem to fall into two broad categories - evidentiary and logical. My contention is that exercises of this kind are about as useful as a fart in a spacesuit.

Gods, by their very nature, are not particularly subject to proof or disproof in any meaningful sense. A sufficiently subtle deity isn't going to provide direct evidence of its existence. Logical constructs (for and against) seem to always start with or to contain premises which are arguable enough to render the entire construct suspect, if not invalid.

A much handier way to evaluate whether gods exist has sometimes been called 'The Reasonableness of Belief'. Hume's argument regarding miracles (which I won't repeat here) is a good example of this sort of evaluation, as is the faeries-at-the-bottom-of-my-garden problem: It may indeed be the case that there are invisible, undetectable faeries living in my garden, but in the absence of evidence for them, it isn't reasonable to believe that there are.

As long as we can propose naturalistic, mundane explanations for mysterious phenomena, it simply isn't reasonable to propose others. And, given the track record or naturalism as an explicatory mechanism, it isn't reasonable to propose non-naturalistic explanations for things which we do not, as yet, understand.

This strikes me as the strongest support imaginable for non-theism. Until and unless theism can point to a phenomenon or group of phenomena for which no naturalistic explanation is possible, it leaves theism as an unreasonable belief.

I'd write more on this, but my painkillers are kicking in.

Boru
‘I can’t be having with this.’ - Esmeralda Weatherwax

Messages In This Thread
Why Religious Proof Or Disproof Is Unimportant - by BrianSoddingBoru4 - October 31, 2013 at 11:08 am
RE: Why Religious Proof Or Disproof Is Unimportant - by Zazzy - October 31, 2013 at 11:44 am
RE: Why Religious Proof Or Disproof Is Unimportant - by Ayen - November 6, 2013 at 12:41 pm
RE: Why Religious Proof Or Disproof Is Unimportant - by Tonus - November 6, 2013 at 12:44 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is this a disproof of Allah I've come up with? Atheism_is_True 5 681 July 12, 2022 at 5:55 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Why people remain in cultlike religious communities Won2blv 6 701 April 1, 2022 at 7:59 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Prayers don't work so why do religious keep jabbing at it? Fake Messiah 65 10200 August 26, 2019 at 7:15 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  Always Proof Your Yeast! Fuck Proof of Gods! chimp3 12 2110 September 9, 2018 at 3:46 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  Why religious cannot agree. Mystic 46 8405 July 6, 2018 at 11:05 pm
Last Post: warmdecember
  Why are some moderate religious afraid of atheism? Der/die AtheistIn 38 5466 February 26, 2018 at 8:45 am
Last Post: Cod
  Why do some religious people think the world revolves around them? Cecelia 28 9723 June 3, 2017 at 11:57 am
Last Post: J a c k
  Why the religious will never admit you won the argument (and why they don't care) Veritas_Vincit 166 20979 June 30, 2016 at 1:00 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Why people are religious jcvamp 115 19292 January 8, 2016 at 1:55 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  Why do religious people desperately want to class Atheism as a religion? TheMonster 75 20053 November 25, 2015 at 2:44 pm
Last Post: Cato