Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: July 3, 2024, 5:03 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why Religious Proof Or Disproof Is Unimportant
RE: Why Religious Proof Or Disproof Is Unimportant
Quote:The claim, as I understand what you are saying, is that naturalistic explanations have a track record of kind of "demystifying" supernatural claims.

Correct.

Quote:Following the patter that naturalistic explanations have shown, if we wait long enough all things will be explained though this natural method.

No, that isn't what I said, and apos if I implied it. There may be things that we will never know, but that isn't a justification for a supernatural explanation. What I said was that theists need to find a phenomenon for which there is no possible naturalistic explanation. As long as naturalistic explanations remain a possibility, however remote, supernaturalism fails the 'reasonableness' test by default.

Suppose, for example, your car has stopped running. You check a dozen or so things on the car and announce, 'Well, since I can't find anything wrong, the only possible explanation is that someone has placed a curse on my car.' Since 1) you haven't eliminated naturalistic explanations for the trouble and 2) curses placed on cars are non-natural events you don't have a reasonableness of belief for your car being under a curse.

Quote:So the real question is, "Can we really know everything?" If there are some things that cannot be known for certain within the naturalistic method which you propose, then they MAY (notice: not 'must' only 'may') go on as being defined as supernatural.

Correct, but no one has ever proposed a phenomenon for which there is no possibility of a naturalistic explanation. Even the biggies, such as NDEs or the origin of the universe, have plausible if unproved naturalistic proposed mechanisms. My point (again) is that until naturalistic explanations are exhausted, it is not reasonable to believe that there are supernatural ones.

People seem fond of invoke supernatural explanation - particularly God - at nearly every turn. We've all seen athletes thank God for their victories (odd how they never seem to blame him for their defeats, though) when a much more natural, reasonable explanation is that they simply played or performed well enough to win. Or Aunt May makes a remarkable recovery from a disease and every starts throwing the word 'miracle' about, even though we know that some diseases do go into remission on their own.

Quote:You said that clearly we can't in response to my original question "Can we really know everything?" I'm curious on why you said that.

Carl Sagan's 'Broca's Brain' had a terrific chapter called 'Reflections On A Grain Of Salt'. He made the point that a salt crystal (1 microgram, I think) has more atoms than the number of connections in the human brain. Clearly then, we cannot know the position of every single atom in this speck of salt. However, we know beyond all possibility of reasonable doubt how sodium and chlorine atoms behave. The rules of valences and the nature of these atoms determine how they are arranged within the crystal. We may not know where they are, but we know where they have to be.

So without knowing everything, we can clearly know enough to get by.

Boru
‘I can’t be having with this.’ - Esmeralda Weatherwax

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why Religious Proof Or Disproof Is Unimportant - by Zazzy - October 31, 2013 at 11:44 am
RE: Why Religious Proof Or Disproof Is Unimportant - by BrianSoddingBoru4 - November 2, 2013 at 12:12 pm
RE: Why Religious Proof Or Disproof Is Unimportant - by Ayen - November 6, 2013 at 12:41 pm
RE: Why Religious Proof Or Disproof Is Unimportant - by Tonus - November 6, 2013 at 12:44 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is this a disproof of Allah I've come up with? Atheism_is_True 5 681 July 12, 2022 at 5:55 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Why people remain in cultlike religious communities Won2blv 6 702 April 1, 2022 at 7:59 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Prayers don't work so why do religious keep jabbing at it? Fake Messiah 65 10201 August 26, 2019 at 7:15 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  Always Proof Your Yeast! Fuck Proof of Gods! chimp3 12 2111 September 9, 2018 at 3:46 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  Why religious cannot agree. Mystic 46 8406 July 6, 2018 at 11:05 pm
Last Post: warmdecember
  Why are some moderate religious afraid of atheism? Der/die AtheistIn 38 5556 February 26, 2018 at 8:45 am
Last Post: Cod
  Why do some religious people think the world revolves around them? Cecelia 28 9727 June 3, 2017 at 11:57 am
Last Post: J a c k
  Why the religious will never admit you won the argument (and why they don't care) Veritas_Vincit 166 21364 June 30, 2016 at 1:00 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Why people are religious jcvamp 115 19304 January 8, 2016 at 1:55 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  Why do religious people desperately want to class Atheism as a religion? TheMonster 75 20075 November 25, 2015 at 2:44 pm
Last Post: Cato