Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 30, 2024, 8:04 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Maybe People Should Not Look Up To YouTube Atheist
RE: Maybe People Should Not Look Up To YouTube Atheist
Educating boys on "no means no" is great, and educating women to be careful is great. Throughout my life, though, I have constantly seen women in uncomfortable positions that they feel they can't call out because it would cause public embarrassment, like Psykhronic's (I think it was you) story about the groping guy.

What women need to do is get loud and CALL IT OUT when men are being inappropriate, and not feel embarrassed by it. It needs to be OK to publicly shame men for inappropriate behavior, instead of laughing it off or just avoiding them. And in public laces like bars, usually bartenders and bouncers are happy to help you.

For instance, a few years ago I was at a bar playing pool with a friend (I am a pretty killer pool player), and some guys were watching us, and it was making me uncomfortable because I could tell they were talking about us. I took a shot and stood, and suddenly one of them is right there and puts his arm around my waist. Not exactly groping, but WTF? I don't know you and suddenly you're touching me like that? So I pushed him off and said, very loudly, "WHY ARE YOU TOUCHING ME? I DON'T KNOW YOU." The bartender came over and booted them and then told me that he had had problems with those guys bothering women before, and he was really happy for an excuse to bounce them.

My friend was embarrassed that I had made a scene, but again, WTF? Why should I be embarrassed? Obviously they engaged in this type of behavior all the time, and most women just put up with it? That's fucked.

Many uncomfortable situations escalate because women don't like to make scenes. I'm all for teaching girls never to be quiet when they feel uncomfortable.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Maybe People Should Not Look Up To YouTube Atheist - by Zazzy - December 10, 2013 at 9:14 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do I deal with the belief that maybe... Just maybe... God exists and I'm... Gentle_Idiot 75 6924 November 23, 2022 at 5:34 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  If you had to pick between people who pimp prostitutes vs religious people Woah0 22 2179 August 28, 2022 at 5:51 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  I have made a new YouTube video about afterlife... FlatAssembler 32 2543 July 12, 2022 at 2:35 pm
  People are not 'Going to Hell' - they're already in Hell. The Kreisel 22 2651 February 18, 2021 at 9:31 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Maybe there's something like a god out there. Ryantology 38 3245 June 5, 2020 at 8:42 am
  Hilarious argument from someone I encountered in the youtube comments Heat 19 4916 April 23, 2020 at 3:32 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Posted comments on Youtube gets deleted Ferrocyanide 16 2107 April 19, 2020 at 6:28 am
  How should an atheist react to discrimination? Der/die AtheistIn 21 2827 March 26, 2019 at 9:14 pm
  Should I tell my girlfriend that I'm an atheist? erealmz 45 9526 November 19, 2017 at 9:07 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Atheists, tell me, a Roman Catholic: why should I become an atheist? Balaco 596 98067 June 14, 2017 at 3:26 am
Last Post: Omnisofos