Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 30, 2024, 8:01 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Maybe People Should Not Look Up To YouTube Atheist
RE: Maybe People Should Not Look Up To YouTube Atheist
(December 12, 2013 at 9:46 am)TaraJo Wrote:
(December 12, 2013 at 9:41 am)pineapplebunnybounce Wrote: Feminism isn't a women's group. Women are people too and feminism is the group that was formed to address these issues, and this group includes men and women alike. You seem to have a problem with the fact that they don't give men's issue equal time? (I don't really understand what you were trying to say about prostate cancer) But now you would like to form a group that's for men to discuss men's issue but how is this group not the same as the type of feminism you don't like?

I've seen men try to form groups where they discuss sexism from their perspective and they regularly get called misogynistis for it. If feminists aren't going to try to make their own group more welcoming to men (and they haven't) then they're going to have to accept that mens groups are going to form that are going to examine the issue from their perspective. If there's hostility towards trying to talk about mens issue within feminism and trying to form groups to talk about sexism from their perspective, then specifically anti-feminist mens groups are going to form (and, yes, it's happened already and the more hate they get, the stronger they get).

Again, you really could say the same thing about men's groups. Feminists are often called feminazis and manhaters like they have been many times in this thread. Grow a thicker skin I guess. There is already a lot of animosity between men's groups and feminism groups but I don't see how forming another group (antifeminists) and reacting to this animosity is going to help nor do I think any outside party can be responsible for what another party does, everyone can control how they react to things and thus must be responsible for their own actions. If men want to form their own group that's fine with me, but if they're going to be exclusive and only talk about men's issues, how are they not perpetuating what they first accuse feminism of? Why not form an inclusive group that instead of talking about men's rights, talks about rights and their relation to gender across the board? That would be a logical response considering the original criticism to feminism's exclusivity (which doesn't exist in all groups).

Yes I completely agree that feminism is so broad these days and calling yourself a feminists doesn't necessarily mean you're aware of what every feminist movement is doing or that you even condone it. I have this annoying facebook feed (I should get rid of it really) that spends almost 80% of its time talking about how barbies look like and how models look like. That's a feminist movement I find utterly ridiculous, and yet some have chosen to pursue it in the name of feminism.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Maybe People Should Not Look Up To YouTube Atheist - by pineapplebunnybounce - December 12, 2013 at 10:01 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do I deal with the belief that maybe... Just maybe... God exists and I'm... Gentle_Idiot 75 6924 November 23, 2022 at 5:34 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  If you had to pick between people who pimp prostitutes vs religious people Woah0 22 2179 August 28, 2022 at 5:51 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  I have made a new YouTube video about afterlife... FlatAssembler 32 2543 July 12, 2022 at 2:35 pm
  People are not 'Going to Hell' - they're already in Hell. The Kreisel 22 2651 February 18, 2021 at 9:31 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Maybe there's something like a god out there. Ryantology 38 3245 June 5, 2020 at 8:42 am
  Hilarious argument from someone I encountered in the youtube comments Heat 19 4916 April 23, 2020 at 3:32 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Posted comments on Youtube gets deleted Ferrocyanide 16 2107 April 19, 2020 at 6:28 am
  How should an atheist react to discrimination? Der/die AtheistIn 21 2827 March 26, 2019 at 9:14 pm
  Should I tell my girlfriend that I'm an atheist? erealmz 45 9526 November 19, 2017 at 9:07 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Atheists, tell me, a Roman Catholic: why should I become an atheist? Balaco 596 98067 June 14, 2017 at 3:26 am
Last Post: Omnisofos