Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 6, 2024, 5:46 am

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Christians, what is your VERY BEST arguments for the existence of God?
RE: Christians, what is your VERY BEST arguments for the existence of God?
(April 3, 2010 at 4:20 pm)roundsquare Wrote: GENETIC SIMILARITY: TAVARISH, genetic similarity between organisms can be used to support both ID/creation science, so its a tie. also note if there were not strong genetic similarities between us and other organisms we could only eat other humans. for the reason that if every other organism was fundamentally different genetically hence biochemically, there would be no way for us to digest them because their amino acids, sugars etc would be different from the ones in our bodies. ok. here is a link showing how genes r challenging the evolutionary tree of life.
Dang it i cant posts any links until i have 10 posts.

I don't see genetic similarity as a tie. How could the apparent 'fusion' between two chromosomes in the other primates (that differentiates us from them by one chromosome) be considered equally an act of the Christian god and an evolutionary mechanism? I'm referring to microbiologist's, K. Miller's reference to fused chromosomes in the Chimp genome here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zi8FfMBYCkk

I see that a creationist organization has already responded to Miller here: http://www.ideacenter.org/contentmgr/sho...hp/id/1392

The article was written by an attorney, Casey Luskin. I'm not trying to say that he has no bearing on the subject because of his profession unrelated to genetics or biology but I would be more impressed if Francis Collins, head of the human genome project and geneticist, wrote this article against the hypothesis, in our case, of fused chromosomes being evidence for our common ancestry with the other primates.

"Claiming that banding pattern similarities is evidence of common ancestry with apes simply invokes the 'similarity = common ancestry' argument, and thus begs the question.) It is entirely possible that our genus Homo underwent a chromosomal fusion event within its own separate history. " - Casey Luskin in the link above

I would like to read Miller's response to this article. My question to Luskin would be: How could chromosomal fusion within a population (at any time) not bring about a new species? Luskin suggests that at some point in the existence of Homo 'genus', there was a fusion that did not create a new species. More reasonably, Miller, if i'm not mistaken, suggests that there was a fusion in a population (of an ancestral species that of the Pan genus and the Homo genus) that created two new species, one which was probably the ancestor or our species. Later Luskin suggests that the fusion could have (no evidence involved) occurred 10,000 years ago in our own species without creating any physiological or morphological changes which doesn't make sense since such a fusion intuitively or logically should produce some change.

Anyhow, i don't see the existence of the appearing fusion (among many other genetic phenomena) to be a point for either side of the debate between particularly Christian creationists and evolutionists (of any religion ... keneth miller and francis collins are both Christians and believers in common descent) because a loving god that wants us to believe in him and believe that we were created at once would not create such a controversial genetic anomaly... not to mention that same god that is supposedly against abortion allowing innocent children be born with genetic fallacies.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Christians, what is your VERY BEST arguments for the existence of God? - by The_Flying_Skeptic - April 3, 2010 at 6:35 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What are the best arguments against Christian Science? FlatAssembler 8 578 September 17, 2023 at 6:49 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  [Serious] For former Christians only, why did you leave your faith? Jehanne 159 14507 January 16, 2023 at 7:36 am
Last Post: h4ym4n
  Existence of Marcion questioned? JairCrawford 28 2233 March 4, 2022 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  VERY Basic Doctrines of Calvinism johndoe122931 18 2499 June 7, 2021 at 3:13 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Spiritual realm is very likely real (demonic possession)? Flavius007 23 2105 May 13, 2021 at 8:58 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
Question [Serious] Christians what would change your mind? Xaventis 154 10226 August 20, 2020 at 7:11 am
  Christians vs Christians (yec) Fake Messiah 52 8165 January 31, 2019 at 2:08 pm
  Christians: What line are you unwilling to cross for God? Cecelia 96 11056 September 5, 2018 at 6:19 pm
  The existence of god Foxaèr 16 3000 May 5, 2018 at 3:42 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Christians: Why does the answer have to be god? IanHulett 67 15393 April 5, 2018 at 3:33 pm