Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 26, 2024, 8:14 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Christians, what is your VERY BEST arguments for the existence of God?
RE: Christians, what is your VERY BEST arguments for the existence of God?
1-I wasn't using them as willy-nilly as you make it seem. As a definition for believe I usually use "conviction of the truth of some statement " or to know something. And for faith I tend to use "firm belief in something for which there is no proof " If yoou couldn't gather that from my abbreviation, I apologize.

2-That would, of course, depend on what you define as evidence. Big seperation between theist and atheist here usually as well. Remember it's not evidence to the contrary.. that would be intellectually dishonest or wilfully lying, but an agreed level of evidence.

3-I left out "first" in my statement, but yes, experience, define, establish relevance to reality, determine value would be the order I do things usually

4- To answer your question: I believe my subjective evidence of what aspects of God I can percieve through revelations lead me to a general definition of what God is, therefore I use God as a valid jumping point for further assertions and assumptions on various subjects, IMO.

As much as I hate to quote, (At least I don't force people to read it)

Even as I quote it I will have to say it's a little dishonest for me to say God is unknowable, I'll say, I don't personally know ALL of what God is, but I have a generally agreed upon idea with my peers. Christians are a little more sceptical about saying they know God, mainly due to the old Jewish practice of seperating the people from God. I would say it is possible for those whom he has revealed himself to know some aspects of God. Actually one of the key principles that Jesus taught was that you'll never know when judgement is coming and jews idea of who God was and how to worship him was wrong. They sepeated the people from the experience of knowing God. He literally ripped down the barrier. Bottom line to know God is to experience God. Any Christian who gives you a hard time for not knowing God you can simply say ,"Well he hasn't revealed himself to me and I'm not waiting around for him" I think that will go over pretty well and still not be as confrontational as fuck off bible thumper.
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari

Messages In This Thread
RE: Christians, what is your VERY BEST arguments for the existence of God? - by tackattack - May 7, 2010 at 1:12 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What are the best arguments against Christian Science? FlatAssembler 8 551 September 17, 2023 at 6:49 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  [Serious] For former Christians only, why did you leave your faith? Jehanne 159 14338 January 16, 2023 at 7:36 am
Last Post: h4ym4n
  Existence of Marcion questioned? JairCrawford 28 2214 March 4, 2022 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  VERY Basic Doctrines of Calvinism johndoe122931 18 2480 June 7, 2021 at 3:13 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Spiritual realm is very likely real (demonic possession)? Flavius007 23 2080 May 13, 2021 at 8:58 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
Question [Serious] Christians what would change your mind? Xaventis 154 9770 August 20, 2020 at 7:11 am
  Christians vs Christians (yec) Fake Messiah 52 8106 January 31, 2019 at 2:08 pm
  Christians: What line are you unwilling to cross for God? Cecelia 96 10964 September 5, 2018 at 6:19 pm
  The existence of god Foxaèr 16 2981 May 5, 2018 at 3:42 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Christians: Why does the answer have to be god? IanHulett 67 15352 April 5, 2018 at 3:33 pm