Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 17, 2024, 3:06 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your personal take on “The Problem of Evil?”
RE: Your personal take on “The Problem of Evil?”
(September 3, 2014 at 7:03 am)Esquilax Wrote: It's not our fault you haven't bothered to look into the evolution of morality. That stuff is out there, and the concept itself is extremely simple to grasp; our survival niche is cooperation and group building. Moral standards derive from this as a mechanism for keeping the group afloat. Simple, though not perfect, and aided in no small measure by our nature as biological entities with predictable responses to external stimuli.

As to what's "easier" to understand... yes, "big man done it by magic" is probably very easy to understand, especially if you don't know how he did it, and don't care to know. But magic is just an excuse, it can be used to justify anything, making it effectively useless, and some of us have higher expectations for our justifications of things than just the claim itself, absent any kind of explanation or method.

Interesting turn, I think what you and Michael are disputing isn’t so much “a moral standard,” but “moral obligation.” I think it’s a tired analogy of God being the “law giver,” but it has its place; it “requires” of us, and we must “oblige.” Evolutionary morality is actually something I come back too often. I’m faced with the question of whether “moral law” is necessary if there were no way a society like ours were possible without our particular brand of morality. But, at other times I feel like evolutionary morality is simply a joke!

(September 3, 2014 at 7:03 am)Esquilax Wrote: So despite being, from what I can see, a sensible and rational person in most aspects, you abandon that entirely when it comes to your god claim. That's a pity. As I said earlier, the level of explanatory power a thing has, especially a thing that is defined as just being able to do anything, has no bearing on the reality of that thing. I get it, magic solves everything, but that doesn't make it so, and frankly, without a "how?" answer, a "what?" answer just reeks of making things up.

On the other hand, we have plenty of evidence that evolution occurs, research on the evolution of morality that indicates it also exists in other species, and studies that indicate the extent to which it can be manipulated and changed. Plenty more evidence than we have for a god, even if it doesn't explain as much yet.

Allow me to just diffuse this situation? Michael is expressing, perhaps a little poorly, his acceptance of God as being “properly basic.” Like the belief in the reality of the past, existence of other minds besides his own, or the continued regularity of nature, they cannot be empirically verified but they are nonetheless rational to believe. I think the conflict is (and I don’t mean to assume this about you, correct me if I’m wrong) that you Esquilax are an empiricist, “all claims can be scientifically verified.” And if I’m understanding you correctly, it is that altruistic behavior evolves into a “societal moral standard?” What I think Michael is driving at, as I mentioned above, is regardless of evolutionary moral standards, we are compelled to be moral; that there is a “requirement” placed upon us. So, really, I think this goes back to David Hume and when asked whether “ought” can be derived from “can.” I think you two fall into one of these two camps.

Also, let me just say I appreciate these thoughtful responses; those that stick around for more than a romp show a lot of maturity in my opinion; you guys are great.

Except Benny!
[Image: 724.gif]
Call me Josh, it's fine.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Your personal take on “The Problem of Evil?” - by Endo - September 1, 2014 at 11:56 pm
RE: Your personal take on “The Problem of Evil?” - by XK9_Knight - September 3, 2014 at 1:32 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Are cats evil beasts that should be killed to save mice? FlatAssembler 34 2703 November 28, 2022 at 11:41 am
Last Post: Fireball
  does evil exist? Quill01 51 3793 November 15, 2022 at 5:30 am
Last Post: h4ym4n
  The "Take it or leave it" Approach Leonardo17 1 337 November 9, 2022 at 2:06 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  [Serious] Questions about Belief and Personal Identity Neo-Scholastic 27 1982 June 11, 2021 at 8:28 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  The argument against "evil", theists please come to the defense. Mystic 158 69545 December 29, 2017 at 7:21 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  One sentence that throws the problem of evil out of the window. Mystic 473 53536 November 12, 2017 at 7:57 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Reasoning showing homosexuality is evil. Mystic 315 49059 October 23, 2017 at 12:34 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Reasoning showing that heterosexuality is evil I_am_not_mafia 21 4744 October 23, 2017 at 8:23 am
Last Post: ignoramus
Wink Emoticons are Intrinsically Good and Evil Fireball 4 1130 October 21, 2017 at 12:11 am
Last Post: Succubus
  My take on regret Mr.Obvious 20 2887 October 20, 2017 at 7:37 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger