Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 20, 2024, 10:57 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheists: have you ever had a religious experience and what did you make of it?
RE: Atheists: have you ever had a religious experience and what did you make of it?
(January 20, 2015 at 1:39 pm)Pizz-atheist Wrote:
(January 20, 2015 at 1:04 pm)watchamadoodle Wrote: I don't think anybody has mentioned meditation yet. A year ago I was trying very hard to learn to meditate, so I would sit and stare at a candle for an hour every day. A couple of times it began to get very interesting, blissful, and disturbing all at the same time. Smile I need to meditate regularly, but it is harder for me than most people. It takes me about an hour instead of 20 minutes, and that is exhausting.
Here are some guided meditations if that helps. http://secularbuddhism.org/category/guided-meditations/

I used to mediation but I stopped because I didn't agree with the assumptions being made by buddhists about the nature of the self and the assumptions mediation is based. All that and I have ADHD. Tongue
Thanks, I have never tried a guided a meditation, but I have heard it works for many people.

I think a person should be able to meditate without the Buddhist assumptions. I know what you mean though. Buddhism is part of the culture and language of meditation.

(January 20, 2015 at 3:50 pm)Strider Wrote:
(January 20, 2015 at 1:04 pm)watchamadoodle Wrote: I don't think anybody has mentioned meditation yet. A year ago I was trying very hard to learn to meditate, so I would sit and stare at a candle for an hour every day. A couple of times it began to get very interesting, blissful, and disturbing all at the same time. Smile I need to meditate regularly, but it is harder for me than most people. It takes me about an hour instead of 20 minutes, and that is exhausting.
I've been interested in meditation in the past, but I never pursued it. Give this article from The Atlantic a read. It explores a side of meditation that is never mentioned. I found it rather disturbing. I doubt it's very common, but you never hear about potential negative outcomes from meditating.

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archiv...ls/372766/

It's kind of like anything could come out once meditation opens the door to the deep mind.

Thanks, that's an interesting article. I wasn't aware of those psychological problems that can be caused by meditation. I've read posts from people on other forums who alluded to these types of difficulties, so I know it happens.

It's very hard for me to experience a tiny bit of quiet in my mind through meditation, so the risks for me are minimal. After the first "good" meditation session, I felt very disconnected from myself afterwards. I've also noticed a mild psychedelic drug-like effect sometimes after I meditate. So I can see how there is risk - especially for more talented meditators.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Atheists: have you ever had a religious experience and what did you make of it? - by watchamadoodle - January 21, 2015 at 8:15 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Church of the atheists and prayer and supplication Eclectic 23 2333 September 19, 2022 at 2:34 pm
Last Post: Ranjr
  If you had to pick between people who pimp prostitutes vs religious people Woah0 22 2481 August 28, 2022 at 5:51 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
Question Atheists and Agnostics that have child Eclectic 11 1474 August 28, 2022 at 3:36 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  We atheists now have our own social network rado84 16 2097 August 12, 2021 at 7:51 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Frustrating Atheist Experience zwanzig 5 1427 July 18, 2021 at 10:34 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  Atheists: I have tips of advice why you are a hated non religious dogmatic group inUS Rinni92 13 3284 August 5, 2020 at 3:43 pm
Last Post: Sal
  Atheists: Why did female with fat butts and short legs exist? Lambe7 14 2252 July 30, 2020 at 7:17 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Does Atheists have acceptability ? hindu 40 5414 July 18, 2020 at 6:04 am
Last Post: Porcupine
  Which religion would be easiest for you if you had to be in one? Fake Messiah 31 3827 July 17, 2019 at 2:26 am
Last Post: Losty
  When and where did atheism first start ? hindu 99 11466 July 16, 2019 at 8:45 pm
Last Post: comet