Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 16, 2024, 7:29 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No conflict between faith and science, eh?
RE: No conflict between faith and science, eh?
(May 21, 2015 at 12:10 pm)FatAndFaithless Wrote: Dogmatic faith-based assertions as a way of describing reality are in conflict with the critical examination of reality, could be one way of putting it.  

Hypothetical:

What if there were a sect of Christianity that pared away all the obviously false crap from the Old and New Testament, all the miracles and magic and prophecy and shit like that, and was literally only the acceptance of Jesus Christ as your savior to achieve immortal life, and that's it.

The members of this sect used science, skepticism, and empiricism to discover and inform their ideas about all other aspects of their lives.  

Would this religion be 'in conflict' with science? I guess...technically not?  But that's only beacuse their claim (Jesus = immortailty) cannot be tested at all by science, and has no possible way (right now) of being verified.  I find the cognitive dissonance and the clashing methodologies of discovering things about the world to be more in conflict than any specific claim or set of claims.

If you strip away everything that conflicts with science and reason, you will totally eliminate the religion.  For example, believing things without proper evidence is unreasonable.  So no faith about anything would be possible in this imaginary "religion."

Further, your examples about Jesus and immortality very much conflict with modern science.  First of all, it is far from clear that Jesus ever existed.  (That is discussed in multiple other threads, for a start, see this.) And even if a man named Jesus did exist, upon what basis would one worship him? Why not worship your uncle Bob instead?  Additionally, the best idea for what the mind is, is that it is simply a subset of the processes of the brain.  Once the brains stops doing stuff, you are gone.  So no immortality.

Really, religion without bullshit is not religion.

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.

Messages In This Thread
RE: No conflict between faith and science, eh? - by Pyrrho - May 21, 2015 at 1:07 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  At what point does faith become insanity? Fake Messiah 64 4071 May 8, 2023 at 10:37 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Proof and evidence will always equal Science zwanzig 103 7440 December 17, 2021 at 5:31 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  The soft toys parents hope connect kids to their faith zebo-the-fat 13 1321 October 31, 2021 at 3:50 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  The Difference between Atheists and Churchoids! theMadJW 41 3753 May 5, 2020 at 9:06 am
Last Post: AniKoferBo
  Baha'i faith Figbash 5 997 April 13, 2020 at 12:31 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  [Serious] Comfort in Faith at Death Shell B 142 12076 August 4, 2019 at 11:30 am
Last Post: Catholic_Lady
Smile Interesting correlation between God and light in major world religions... Ajay0 17 1947 May 24, 2019 at 4:10 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Atheist who is having a crisis of faith emilsein 204 14088 April 29, 2019 at 6:41 pm
Last Post: Losty
  Faith industry Graufreud 8 934 August 8, 2018 at 6:54 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  My faith is on hold. Mystic 16 4373 May 3, 2018 at 9:40 am
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic