Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: October 2, 2026, 7:05 am

Poll: Do you subscrbe to belief in free-will, determinism, or compatibilism?
This poll is closed.
Libertarian Free-Will
12.00%
3 12.00%
Compatibilism
24.00%
6 24.00%
Determinism
40.00%
10 40.00%
Other, please explain
24.00%
6 24.00%
Total 25 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Another Free-will poll, please bear with me!
#30
RE: Another Free-will poll, please bear with me!
Quote:I walk to the kitchen, open the fridge, and ponder what I will eat for breakfast-- that's free will, and it's real enough.
I think that the implications brought by illusion are not that it is not real - in the sense you seem to be using it, any more than a magician pulling a rabbit from a hat is "not real" - and yet exists.  Mechanics of language. I don't think that anyone claiming that it is an illusion is claiming that it is nothing, -non-existent-...that you and I both don't have that experience. It seems to me, rather, that they are suggesting that free will may be as real as a magician pulling a rabbit from a hat...however you choose to take that..lol.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Reply



Messages In This Thread
RE: Another Free-will poll, please bear with me! - by The Grand Nudger - May 26, 2015 at 8:04 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do you believe in free will? Disagreeable 37 8809 August 4, 2024 at 7:15 am
Last Post: Disagreeable
  Science Poll! Istvan 9 3269 September 25, 2022 at 8:30 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Understanding the rudiment has much to give helps free that mind for further work. highdimensionman 16 4391 May 24, 2022 at 6:31 am
Last Post: highdimensionman
  Science Poll! Istvan 24 5967 March 23, 2022 at 11:07 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Free Will Debate Alan V 82 23231 November 27, 2021 at 7:08 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  A 'proof' of God's existence - free will mrj 54 18037 August 9, 2020 at 10:25 am
Last Post: Sal
  Oh no not another free will thread. Edwardo Piet 309 99493 April 29, 2018 at 11:45 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The argument against "evil", theists please come to the defense. Mystic 158 99737 December 29, 2017 at 7:21 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  WLC, Free Will, and God's divine foreknowledge SuperSentient 15 6488 April 1, 2017 at 2:50 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Why free will probably does not exist, and why we should stop treating people - WisdomOfTheTrees 22 9430 February 8, 2017 at 7:43 pm
Last Post: WisdomOfTheTrees



Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)