Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 23, 2024, 9:01 am

Poll: Overpopulation is a serious problem and you get to cast the deciding vote. Which do you choose?
This poll is closed.
It is more important that people can decide how many children they want to have, than that they can have enough food to eat. So I vote that there will be no forced restrictions on having children, and so millions of people will starve to death.
36.00%
9 36.00%
It is more important that people do not starve to death, than that they have the freedom to reproduce at will. So I vote that there will be forced restrictions on having children, and so people will be forcibly made sterile once they have children.
64.00%
16 64.00%
Total 25 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Overpopulation: You get to cast the deciding vote.
RE: Overpopulation: You get to cast the deciding vote.
(July 11, 2015 at 1:13 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote:
(July 11, 2015 at 12:57 pm)Pyrrho Wrote: I have just explained some similarities.  Are you saying that there are no similarities?

Of course, it is not exactly the same thing.  That is true of everything that has even a slight difference from other things.

It's not just not exactly the same thing. It's a worlds of difference. It's the difference between something minor and something extreme. This seems so basic, I am at a loss for words...

You have not explained why you think it is dramatically different.  If someone forcibly injects you with something, do you not think that is a matter of great importance?  It would be to me.  I don't think people should have the right to inject other people with substances against their will unless there is a really, really good reason for it.  The same applies to other violations of bodily integrity.

You are not saying that it isn't a matter of importance if someone injects you with some substance against your will, are you?  And if it is a matter of importance, how is that so very different from another thing that is also a matter of importance, that also involves a violation of bodily integrity?

If someone came up with a way to sterilize people with an injection, would that make it acceptable to you in the hypothetical situation of the opening post?

(July 11, 2015 at 12:57 pm)Pyrrho Wrote: Such as?  And how so?

...Such as having a government that takes people from their homes by force and sterilizes their bodies against their will, stripping them of their inherent right to have children as a way to "avoid starvation" due to overpopulation.

Try again.  You say that it is "all kinds of heinous things", yet you have only one example (which frankly, I find unconvincing).  Also, do you think you have the right to swing your arm into someone's nose?  Is it a fundamental right to move your arm any which way you please?  If not, then you really have a good deal of explaining to do to make your position intelligible.

(July 11, 2015 at 12:57 pm)Pyrrho Wrote: You mean you believe that everyone should just take your word for everything and just agree with you no matter what you say?  If not, then you do need to argue and explain.

You also have not answered the final question of that post.  Do you believe you have the right to cause other people to starve to death?  It is a simple 'yes or no' question.  But by all means, feel free to explain and elaborate your answer, if you wish.

I did not answer that question because it is a loaded question. If starvation happened in your scenario it would be a natural consequence of something that in and of itself has nothing to do with starvation: having the right to decide your own family size. It's not like I would be directly taking away a person's right to eat by having a kid.

So you believe it is okay to indirectly take away someone's right to feed their children?  Their children starve either way, as a result of your action.  So why does it matter whether it is direct or indirect?

(July 11, 2015 at 1:13 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: With that being said, I do think the right and responsible thing to do would be to plan your family size according to what's best for the world. But the government should have no business sterilizing people's bodies by force. As PT said, I would take my chances with the natural way of things than live in a world with such a government that is tyrannical enough that it treats its people like cattle and strips them of their humanity and basic rights.

And everything I just said here is a repeat of what I have already said. You asked for opinion, and I gave you mine. If you can't accept my answer then I don't know why you asked in the first place. Undecided  

I am trying to understand the principles upon which you are basing your judgement.  Also, I started asking you questions about your position when you claimed:

(July 11, 2015 at 1:47 am)Catholic_Lady Wrote:
(July 10, 2015 at 11:57 pm)Pyrrho Wrote: Excellent analogy.  Personal choice versus the effects on others.

I dunno... I think mandatory disease vaccinations for kids entering public school is a far cry from forcibly sterilizing people's bodies and taking away their right to have kids... Undecided

You have still not explained how the two are so very different.  You seem to simply expect everyone to agree with you on that, but that is obviously not the case, which should have been obvious before you made that claim, since two of us had already stated that we regarded them as similar.

Also, I did not ask you for that opinion (though I am not complaining that you gave your opinion on that).  But you are just wrong to say that I asked you anything at all about the matter of whether forced vaccinations was a proper analogy for the hypothetical of the opening post or not.

You chose to give an opinion about something which no one asked of you, and now I am wanting to understand your opinion that you volunteered.  You claim that they are very different, yet you have failed to explain the difference and have simply dogmatically claimed that they are very different.

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Overpopulation: You get to cast the deciding vote. - by Pyrrho - July 11, 2015 at 2:00 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do you get bored? zwanzig 19 1143 June 14, 2023 at 9:58 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  What did you get for Christmas? arewethereyet 13 784 December 29, 2021 at 3:56 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  [Serious] How do you get over your past mistakes? [Please Don't judge me] GODZILLA 12 1187 June 3, 2019 at 12:48 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  From where do you get your information ? notimportant1234 23 3467 January 9, 2018 at 11:22 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Do you ever get this feeling whilst in bed? Arsoo 18 2386 September 30, 2017 at 11:11 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  You get what you pay for...? AceBoogie 28 3057 November 25, 2016 at 2:55 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  baby boy name. vote your fav! Catholic_Lady 94 8550 July 16, 2016 at 2:24 pm
Last Post: rado84
  Zero Motivation... how do you get through it? Joods 20 2328 March 2, 2016 at 7:41 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Vote on my new avatar Clueless Morgan 37 7019 October 28, 2015 at 12:43 pm
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  Overpopulation Catholic_Lady 119 11483 August 6, 2015 at 10:44 am
Last Post: Catholic_Lady