Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 1:18 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your personal take on “The Problem of Evil?”
Your personal take on “The Problem of Evil?”
Good day everyone, I hope you are all doing well?

I’ll begin with a brief story. Not long ago did my oldest sister “lose her faith” and become an atheist. It occurred at a rather difficult time in her life –going through a messy divorce, unfaithful husband, no doubt she was praying that things would turn out better than they did- and she became bitter about that whole event. Some time passes, she heals a bit and is talking with us again, but now she’s challenged my mother to somewhat of a “debate” (and to be fair, my mother -bless her soul- wouldn’t be able capable of defending her faith against cottage cheese). My mother asks me for help, and I read some of the texts back and fourth between them and I see my sister has quoted David McAfee from his book “Disproving Christianity.” Not long afterwards does my sister tell me via text, “I’ve got a great book for you to read.”

“Is it David’s book?” I ask.
[Image: tumblr_ljhx7g621D1qcfyhd.png]

“How’d you know?” She inquired.
[Image: insouciant-335f0f97aea47b34c983c45bcfa9f00f.jpg]

“Because you literally ripped a page out of his book and mom didn’t know what to say and came to me.”
[Image: D6XTH9BPQMAADW5ZL7CR_400.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_lnwltqhA7R1qzj7lm.png] ...she said.

I won’t go into the detail of the book, but if you’ve read David’s book, good for you (we all need to make use of those few moments between clenching certain muscles and rinsing our hands)! But I’ve noticed a reoccurring point in his book that I thought to discuss with the rest of you?

How has “The Problem of Evil” affected you personally?
I’m not asking for arguments, just honest opinions for those who are open to sharing. I noticed within “Disproving Christianity” that David’s main assertion is the argument from nonbelief; basically that it is morally abhorrent that God would send someone to hell that has never had the opportunity to know him. “God is not good, therefore he is not God,” basically. And if I can recall correctly, that there are so many moral stains on Christianity that it’s concept of God couldn’t be true (I’m paraphrasing, it was to that affect though, I’m sure).

So, McAfee seems to (for at least one reason) reject God on the basis of a perceived moral injustice. How do you the rest of you feel towards all this?
Call me Josh, it's fine.

Messages In This Thread
Your personal take on “The Problem of Evil?” - by XK9_Knight - September 1, 2014 at 11:25 pm
RE: Your personal take on “The Problem of Evil?” - by Endo - September 1, 2014 at 11:56 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Are cats evil beasts that should be killed to save mice? FlatAssembler 34 2398 November 28, 2022 at 11:41 am
Last Post: Fireball
  does evil exist? Quill01 51 3616 November 15, 2022 at 5:30 am
Last Post: h4ym4n
  The "Take it or leave it" Approach Leonardo17 1 319 November 9, 2022 at 2:06 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  [Serious] Questions about Belief and Personal Identity Neo-Scholastic 27 1828 June 11, 2021 at 8:28 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  The argument against "evil", theists please come to the defense. Mystic 158 68477 December 29, 2017 at 7:21 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  One sentence that throws the problem of evil out of the window. Mystic 473 50998 November 12, 2017 at 7:57 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Reasoning showing homosexuality is evil. Mystic 315 46674 October 23, 2017 at 12:34 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Reasoning showing that heterosexuality is evil I_am_not_mafia 21 4619 October 23, 2017 at 8:23 am
Last Post: ignoramus
Wink Emoticons are Intrinsically Good and Evil Fireball 4 1090 October 21, 2017 at 12:11 am
Last Post: Succubus
  My take on regret Mr.Obvious 20 2753 October 20, 2017 at 7:37 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger