Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 10:48 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Crazy, Screwed Up Story of Lot
The Crazy, Screwed Up Story of Lot
The story has come up on a couple of threads here but I thought it would be helpful to provide the biblically sound summarization of the story.

Three dudes, who were secretly undercover angels, came to visit Abraham in his tent. God asked them if he should tell Abraham what he is going to do about Sodom (Genesis 18:17) Yep, bible god asked the angels for their advice.

In verse 20. God tells Abraham that there have been complaints about Sodom so he is going to check it out himself because somehow an omnipotent god can't just know everything.

There are several verses where god and Abraham negotiate how many innocent people are worth saving. Abraham gets god down to ten people.

Are there no pregnant women or infants in Sodom? Surely, fetuses are innocent and must be saved at all cost. What about little kids? Does Sodom not have any kids or slaves that are forced to live in the city? Wouldn't they be innocent also?

Chapter 19

Two angels stroll in to Sodom. Despite the fact that this city that is so dangerous that it has to be destroyed, Lot feels comfortable enough to sit out in the open.I realize that sitting at the gates was what well respected members of the community did back then but how could a 'righteous man' be respected in such a horrible community? Modern god didn't even wipe out Germany for killing his chosen people. (sorry, to Godwin this story)How bad can Sodom be if Lot can sit out in the open? Besides, what kind of subjects could a good man discuss with a bunch of men that like to rape guests?

There is a back and forth as Lot tries to convince the angels to come stay at his home. Originally, the angels wanted to sleep in the square. Finally, Lot convinces them and they go to his house.

ALL the men in Sodom, both young and old ,go to Lot's house and demand Lot's two guests so that they can have sex with them. I would assume that this meant rape but the KJV uses the term "to know them". Genesis 19:5

Lot begs the men not to attack his guests but offers his two virginal daughters instead. The bible doesn't say how the two girls felt because.. pfft, women. Apparently, it doesn't occur to Lot to offer himself. The townsmen say they won't listen to Lot because he came to them as a foreigner. (verse 19) When Lot first arrived at the city was there a rape and greet for him too? If so, why did he stay? Has this happened before? Again, why did he stay? I thought that Lot was so respected that he sat at the city's gates but the crowd seems to have zero respect for him because he is a foreigner.

The angels pull Lot back inside and blind the men. They ask Lot if he has any in laws that live in the city and tell him that he should urge them to leave. Um....the angels came from an all knowing god. Shouldn't they be know whether Lot had someone else in the city he wanted to save?

Lot goes to have a conversation with his sons-in-law...wait....I thought that ALL the men of Sodom gathered at Lot's door. That means that his married daughters' husbands were outside blind. His blind son-in-laws thought he was joking.verse 14

In the morning, the angels wake Lot and his family up. The angels take the hands of the family and flee. Lot's wife looks at the destruction and turns to a pillar of salt. What kind of destruction could be happening that would turn someone to a pillar of salt? I could understand if their eyes burnt out from the sight but why a pillar of salt?

Lot begs to go into the little city of Zoar and god agrees to not destroy.verses 18-21.

For some reason Lot leaves Zoar and heads into the mountains. Does god not keep his word about destroying Zoar or did Lot not trust god?

Questions about Sodom. How did this city even function with so many individuals running around raping visitors? Wouldn't travelers and merchants begin to avoid the city, after awhile? I am going to guess that they didn't put that kind of thing in their travel brochure but still, word would have gotten out. Why did Lot marry his daughters to men who lived in Sodom? Were you born evil in Sodom? There must have been children in the city

I will put the rest of the story up later. If anyone disagrees with what I wrote then please explain your reasons and use bible verses. For anyone who hasn't read the bible, yes, this is the actual story.

Messages In This Thread
The Crazy, Screwed Up Story of Lot - by Nope - December 4, 2014 at 9:59 am
RE: The Crazy, Screwed Up Story of Lot - by vorlon13 - December 4, 2014 at 10:48 am
RE: The Crazy, Screwed Up Story of Lot - by abaris - December 4, 2014 at 10:56 am
RE: The Crazy, Screwed Up Story of Lot - by Tonus - December 4, 2014 at 11:13 am
RE: The Crazy, Screwed Up Story of Lot - by Nope - December 4, 2014 at 11:38 am
RE: The Crazy, Screwed Up Story of Lot - by professor - December 4, 2014 at 12:31 pm
RE: The Crazy, Screwed Up Story of Lot - by Tonus - December 4, 2014 at 12:59 pm
RE: The Crazy, Screwed Up Story of Lot - by Nope - December 4, 2014 at 12:57 pm
RE: The Crazy, Screwed Up Story of Lot - by downbeatplumb - December 4, 2014 at 1:14 pm
RE: The Crazy, Screwed Up Story of Lot - by KevinM1 - December 4, 2014 at 1:18 pm
RE: The Crazy, Screwed Up Story of Lot - by Strider - December 4, 2014 at 1:18 pm
RE: The Crazy, Screwed Up Story of Lot - by Minimalist - December 4, 2014 at 1:23 pm
RE: The Crazy, Screwed Up Story of Lot - by robvalue - December 4, 2014 at 1:34 pm
RE: The Crazy, Screwed Up Story of Lot - by Minimalist - December 4, 2014 at 1:55 pm
RE: The Crazy, Screwed Up Story of Lot - by Drich - December 4, 2014 at 3:31 pm
RE: The Crazy, Screwed Up Story of Lot - by Strider - December 4, 2014 at 4:03 pm
RE: The Crazy, Screwed Up Story of Lot - by abaris - December 4, 2014 at 4:19 pm
RE: The Crazy, Screwed Up Story of Lot - by Strider - December 4, 2014 at 4:53 pm
RE: The Crazy, Screwed Up Story of Lot - by abaris - December 4, 2014 at 4:56 pm
RE: The Crazy, Screwed Up Story of Lot - by Drich - December 5, 2014 at 12:16 am
RE: The Crazy, Screwed Up Story of Lot - by Strider - December 5, 2014 at 10:16 am
RE: The Crazy, Screwed Up Story of Lot - by FatAndFaithless - December 5, 2014 at 10:18 am
RE: The Crazy, Screwed Up Story of Lot - by abaris - December 5, 2014 at 11:57 am
RE: The Crazy, Screwed Up Story of Lot - by Drich - December 5, 2014 at 2:28 pm
RE: The Crazy, Screwed Up Story of Lot - by Nope - December 4, 2014 at 5:36 pm
RE: The Crazy, Screwed Up Story of Lot - by Drich - December 5, 2014 at 1:29 am
RE: The Crazy, Screwed Up Story of Lot - by robvalue - December 4, 2014 at 4:30 pm
RE: The Crazy, Screwed Up Story of Lot - by professor - December 4, 2014 at 4:58 pm
RE: The Crazy, Screwed Up Story of Lot - by abaris - December 4, 2014 at 5:02 pm
RE: The Crazy, Screwed Up Story of Lot - by FatAndFaithless - December 4, 2014 at 5:00 pm
RE: The Crazy, Screwed Up Story of Lot - by Strider - December 4, 2014 at 5:14 pm
RE: The Crazy, Screwed Up Story of Lot - by Minimalist - December 5, 2014 at 12:43 am
RE: The Crazy, Screwed Up Story of Lot - by Nope - December 5, 2014 at 10:08 am
RE: The Crazy, Screwed Up Story of Lot - by Drich - December 5, 2014 at 11:26 am
RE: The Crazy, Screwed Up Story of Lot - by FatAndFaithless - December 5, 2014 at 12:05 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Raw Story gives a voice to atheists.... Brian37 8 1625 October 17, 2018 at 2:51 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Jerusalem, rapture, the coming of christ, and crazy evangelicals WinterHold 9 1326 May 25, 2018 at 9:42 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Religion: Just Plain Crazy Minimalist 10 2320 September 26, 2017 at 8:01 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  The people of Lot? Sodom? Pompeii?? WinterHold 36 9140 September 12, 2017 at 6:07 am
Last Post: paulpablo
  Maybe I'm being crazy... BrokenQuill92 18 1967 November 21, 2016 at 10:14 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Just to show that the 'Murricans don't have the monopoly on christian crazy GUBU 5 1695 April 13, 2016 at 2:31 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  The Last Wish - Love Story miaharun 0 1169 January 4, 2016 at 7:53 am
Last Post: miaharun
  A Sad Story miaharun 10 2839 December 28, 2015 at 9:20 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  My story! I am an Ex-Muslim, became and Atheist. I was visited by an Angel of God. Prince 242 26283 June 19, 2015 at 9:01 pm
Last Post: nihilistcat
  Stupidest religious "true story" you've ever heard?... EccentricAlien 37 9553 March 29, 2015 at 10:31 am
Last Post: Thackerie