Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 8:46 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jehovah’s seem to be trying to get my 85 year old father into their cult
RE: Jehovah’s seem to be trying to get my 85 year old father into their cult
(July 22, 2015 at 3:44 pm)Minimalist Wrote: You haven't mentioned this but it would be wise to do anyway.

Has he done any estate planning?  Medical proxy?  Living Will? 

The kicker here is your throwaway comment that he doesn't seem as sharp as he used to be.  Listen to your instincts.  You're probably right.

being an MD and dealing with death daily my dad of course has a will. Done by an estate lawyer. He's always stipulated don't resuscitate me. So I would be suppressed if that wasn't in writing somewhere.  He rummaged through all his belongings almost ten years ago getting things into order as much as he could. He's been bugging me to do this though (a will) and I've been dragging my ass.

Unfortunately I pretty much know I am right about my "instincts" While his memory seems better than mine many times it's simple things like working together outside on projects which he still likes  trying to do.  Were like laurel and hardy.  If I try to explain a simple concept to him it always leads to confusion and vise versa.  He blames me for it. If I ask him some obscure question about heart disease.  Information just flows out of him like a picture of water into a glass. And I am always enriched from the experience.  So he still has it together on a lot of levels knock on wood.  Others he's not all there.  And he seems a lot more impressionable than he used to be. And even expressed some concerns to me about my atheism which never seemed to bother him in the past.  In the past he would have understood exactly what type of people these people are and run them the fuck off.

(July 22, 2015 at 3:55 pm)Beccs Wrote: They tried something similar with my elderly aunt.

At first they asked if they could come in for a chat and she agreed with the stipulation that they didn't push their beliefs.

Finally she told them she had absolutely no interest in joining their group but they were welcome to visit.

She never saw that particular group again.

As Min said, they target the elderly and the vulnerable.  They're a cult, certainly.

Yes that's exactly the approach they seem to be using on my dad.  The impression that they just want to engage in harmless chit chat. But I suspect the reality is if they know  there is no hope for getting you into their cult they focus their efforts somewhere else.  Funny thing how old people get lonely so much so that they would let dubious people into their lives.  Hope I never get like that. Actually what am I talking about.  I've already done that.  But never religious kooks.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Jehovah’s seem to be trying to get my 85 year old father into their cult - by hogwash - July 22, 2015 at 5:05 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The soft toys parents hope connect kids to their faith zebo-the-fat 13 1255 October 31, 2021 at 3:50 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  trying to adopt an amoral worldview bonbonbaron 46 3610 January 26, 2021 at 12:23 am
Last Post: John 6IX Breezy
  Overcoming shame of being duped by a cult Won2blv 11 1211 December 22, 2020 at 1:26 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Predictions for the new year zebo-the-fat 15 1648 March 9, 2020 at 6:03 pm
Last Post: Dundee
  Every f-ing year JWs knock on my door. Brian37 62 5522 July 10, 2019 at 11:51 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
Thumbs Down 11-Year-Old Genius Proves Hawking Wrong About God Fake Messiah 7 1134 April 16, 2019 at 8:13 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  Ways to Get Into Heaven! Or Whatever You Believe in! Jade-Green Stone 14 2558 January 24, 2019 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: deanabiepepler
  Mary's Ten Year Pregnancy YahwehIsTheWay 131 14988 December 27, 2018 at 7:48 pm
Last Post: T0 Th3 M4X
  "Cult-speak" lines Foxaèr 24 2690 September 15, 2018 at 5:35 am
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  11-Year-Old College Grad Wants to Pursue Astrophysics to Prove God’s Existence Foxaèr 49 6913 August 2, 2018 at 4:51 pm
Last Post: GUBU