Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 7:13 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trumps 30% tariff on imported solar panels
RE: Trumps 30% tariff on imported solar panels
And lo, the sungod doth provide an example.

Jinko Solar officially announced that it would be investing in a facility in Jax, Fl.  They say the plan is to invest 410million in the facility over a coarse of years, with an average wage of 46k a year.  Sounds great, but that's company pr.

The truth is that the salary number is massively inflated by ceo pay.  Jax has committed to providing 1/8th of the total investment upfront, just for starters (more than is required to begin operations).  The state has pledged yet more.  Jinko has been rushed, by an actual mob, over their dumping of toxic material into the local water supply back home.  They are ranked, by a sweetheart ranking, at the very bottom end of average as far as their techs efficiency.  Jinko was, as of last check, in the top two re the worlds largest suppliers of pv panels. Obviously their presence in Jax and the market will push out other operations with a better product, a better track record, or..you know, legitimate "american" cred. The worst part, is that they have no plans whatsoever to source their material from the US - that would be bad for business. They can satisfy the terms of the tariff by engaging in final assembly stateside. They intend to use their dirty panels and shitty offshore practices to prop up a state and local government fed profit spigot. I rate this no higher than simple grift, because this company produces panels that are demonstrably no greener than "beautiful clean coal" - even their pathetically substandard rating depends on completely ignoring their sourcing and manufacturing.

This is only the first example of how offshore entities will subvert the tariff to take advantage of corporate welfare while producing an inferior product here in the US to further secure the market share over their american competitors.  This is the face of solar, and they clearly don't -need- the fossil fuel industry running interference to send the entire thing into the toilet.

#MAGA.

Now, if the US wanted to do some actual good for the american solar industry (and solar in general), they would set efficiency and environmental requirements - curbing the ability to outcompete based on low wage labor and bad practices, just as we insist upon a certain level of quality in a number of other consumer products, and particularly in the generation of energy. No lead paint, no dumping, no faulty reactors, etc. Fat chance for the next few years, I know. A man can dream, though.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Messages In This Thread
Trumps 30% tariff on imported solar panels - by Coveny - January 27, 2018 at 12:29 am
RE: Trumps 30% tariff on imported solar panels - by AFTT47 - January 27, 2018 at 1:55 am
RE: Trumps 30% tariff on imported solar panels - by Brian37 - January 29, 2018 at 7:38 am
RE: Trumps 30% tariff on imported solar panels - by shadow - February 1, 2018 at 4:51 am
RE: Trumps 30% tariff on imported solar panels - by vorlon13 - January 29, 2018 at 10:15 am
RE: Trumps 30% tariff on imported solar panels - by vorlon13 - January 29, 2018 at 1:02 pm
RE: Trumps 30% tariff on imported solar panels - by Angrboda - January 30, 2018 at 10:44 pm
RE: Trumps 30% tariff on imported solar panels - by The Grand Nudger - February 1, 2018 at 4:34 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Solar Beams from space setting fires. brewer 25 1571 February 8, 2021 at 1:45 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Does anyone understand Trumps base? Atomic Lava 72 6362 June 13, 2020 at 10:18 pm
Last Post: Zepp
  Trumps press conference....eek! Dancefortwo 14 888 September 27, 2018 at 10:34 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Realistically can anything be done regarding Trumps nomination? GODZILLA 22 2347 July 11, 2018 at 2:15 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Yeah...Trumps bigotry isn't hurting us at all GODZILLA 15 2229 May 20, 2018 at 8:08 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Trumps Cell Phone chimp3 9 1989 June 2, 2017 at 3:27 am
Last Post: NuclearEnergy
  Security for Trumps Son and Daughter chimp3 15 1931 March 9, 2017 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  This will be Trumps' presidency very soon NuclearEnergy 50 8800 February 19, 2017 at 6:19 pm
Last Post: DarkerEnergy
  Trumps formal nomination kicked off with Sikh prayer CapnAwesome 0 495 July 20, 2016 at 1:53 pm
Last Post: CapnAwesome
  Trumps secret purplepurpose 0 457 June 8, 2016 at 3:00 am
Last Post: purplepurpose