Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 9:36 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Church of the atheists and prayer and supplication
RE: Church of the atheists and prayer and supplication
(September 19, 2022 at 8:28 am)Eclectic Wrote: [...]

So anyone who becomes atheist should be a member of philosophical religions, such as Confuciusism or humanism or ... as worldview and ideology.
Either create a personal or public eclectic religion that combines religious and philosophical religions with its personal beliefs.

[...]

I'd say there's one big difference between a religion and a non-religious philosophy: 

In a religion, ethics and metaphysics are fundamentally united. "Is" and "ought" have an essential relationship, and the one necessitates the other. 

In general, atheistic systems don't have this connection. We may hold to a system of ethics or argue in favor of certain basic principles, but these are not made necessary by the laws by which the universe is made and operates. 

In practice, then, when ethical principles are no longer held to be fundamentally a part of the world, what people are left with are contingent historical mores. And these, in our time, are almost always the values drummed into us by constant corporate propaganda. The ubiquity of this stuff, and the masterful way in which it instills its values into people, is amazing. It's still possible to encounter competing views -- in great literature, for example -- but the percentage of people who take this seriously is tiny in comparison to consumers of pop culture and its barely concealed propaganda.

I wish we could set up a non-corporate ethics which could work as a counter to the values of our time. But in practice I don't see how this could work. Your dream of a universal (but atheist) religion has an appeal. I guess I just lack the idealism to think it could get up and running in a major way.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Church of the atheists and prayer and supplication - by Belacqua - September 19, 2022 at 9:55 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Power of Prayer and Fear of God mcolafson 33 5273 September 19, 2022 at 8:11 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  Atheists in church Spongebob 182 13226 October 12, 2021 at 5:48 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused
  A prayer before dinner Denverguy 48 6564 October 1, 2019 at 10:29 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  I enjoy far right atheists more than lgbt marxist atheists Sopra 4 2201 February 28, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Prayer purplepurpose 94 15037 January 24, 2018 at 2:32 pm
Last Post: GodisintheTV
  Forced Prayer ScienceAf 33 6432 August 15, 2016 at 1:58 pm
Last Post: Faith No More
  Prayer to the God of Atheism Rhondazvous 21 3624 May 16, 2015 at 4:25 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Prayer: Biggest Hope and The Biggest Disappointment LivingNumbers6.626 8 2384 December 10, 2014 at 4:15 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  Atheism and Prayer ComradeMeow 22 3910 September 3, 2014 at 1:24 pm
Last Post: ShaMan
  Atheistic dinner "prayer" Eric9001 11 4887 July 14, 2014 at 5:32 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic