Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 2:16 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheistic dinner "prayer"
Atheistic dinner "prayer"
"God is great... God is good... Let us thank him for our food. Amen." is a prayer that I have always disliked, even before I became atheist.

Backstory:

Well, the three of us could simply just say, "Okay, eating time," but I thought it might be more fun to try something else. I came up with an atheistic "prayer" based around the "god is great..." prayer.

"God is fake... God's not real... Let's thank _____ for this meal. _____."

The first blank can be filled in by whoever you want to thank for the meal. You could say the name of whoever cooked the meal (ex: Eric), simply say "the cook(s)" or "the chef(s)," or perhaps say the name of the restaurant you got the food from. If you want to use a word that is only one syllable you can change "let's" to "let us" in order to maintain the flow of it. (ex: Let us thank Mom for this meal.)

The second blank can be any short phrase of your choosing. Perhaps, "Leeeet's eat!" "Oooo-kay!" or "Yaaay atheism!" However, the thing still functions without anything there, if you prefer.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Alternate version:

"gods are fake... gods aren't real... Let's thank _____ for this meal. _____."

This addresses all gods instead of just the Christian god, if you would prefer. It derives a little further away from the original, Christian prayer, but has a better message in my opinion.

Try it! It's kind of fun, especially if you're just eating with some atheistic friends or family.

I'm not usually one for confrontation, but once, back in high school, I said it when this heavily Christian guy sat down at the table. Oh, the look on his face before he started yelling at me from across the table... Priceless.
Xenoblade Chronicles spoilers: "And so, what I... No, what we wish for is... A world with no gods!" - Shulk
RE: Atheistic dinner "prayer"
My wife is a Christian - I am not. We just fist-bump before meals.
[Image: giphy.gif]

(July 10, 2014 at 3:47 pm)Eric9001 Wrote: There are other official beginnings to meals...
Like when I open my mouth and begin eating.
(July 10, 2014 at 3:53 pm)ShaMan Wrote: My wife is a Christian - I am not. We just fist-bump before meals.

Thats awesome.

I just open Netflix and hit play.
You know, for a nontheistic dinner prayer, you can't beat this scene from Shenahdoah:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzzyZ1M-kVU
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
After hearing the story of the chicken fixing food for her chicks, and how the other farm animals didn't help but hoped to get some food anyway, it bothered me that we'd be expected to thank god for our food three times a day. I was always told it was because he started everything, but it still seems odd. You'd think any sane person would get tired of hearing billions of people thank him three times a day for 3,000 years and going.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

[Image: th?id=HN.608036733594570127&pid=15.1&P=0]
I don't pray any more, thanks.

We do. We use the classic "god is good, . . . and we thank him for our food." It's been a matter of some discussion. We've decided it's a useful device. What we mean by it is:

1. We are glad to be together.

2. Table manners are required from this point forward.

3. All talk should be general to the whole table until we're finished.

4. Children should stay put until excused.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
Thank you dear big bang, thank you big asteroid that killed them dinosaurs .

May the force be with you .
[Image: eUdzMRc.gif]
Get the table to become somber with clasped hands and bowed heads; then exlaim "Fuck it, let's eat!".

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Power of Prayer and Fear of God mcolafson 33 5276 September 19, 2022 at 8:11 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  Church of the atheists and prayer and supplication Eclectic 23 1920 September 19, 2022 at 2:34 pm
Last Post: Ranjr
  A question about atheistic “beliefs” (opinions, guesses, etc.) Frank Apisa 252 15650 June 30, 2021 at 6:51 pm
Last Post: Rahn127
  Atheistic calendar Interaktive 38 3515 December 26, 2019 at 3:43 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  A prayer before dinner Denverguy 48 6564 October 1, 2019 at 10:29 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Prayer purplepurpose 94 15043 January 24, 2018 at 2:32 pm
Last Post: GodisintheTV
  Make up your own atheistic quote Transcended Dimensions 56 9677 October 30, 2017 at 9:04 am
Last Post: brewer
  Could Gods hypothetically be atheistic scientists? causal code 5 2633 August 24, 2017 at 12:17 am
Last Post: Astonished
  Atheistic religions Der/die AtheistIn 21 6774 August 10, 2017 at 1:36 pm
Last Post: Harry Nevis
  The second most atheistic group in the world is... Gawdzilla Sama 15 3580 December 2, 2016 at 3:19 pm
Last Post: vorlon13