Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 3:56 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"How do I know God exists?" - the first step to atheism
RE: "How do I know God exists?" - the first step to atheism
(February 20, 2012 at 11:29 pm)padraic Wrote:
Quote:In fact, the only way that could not be true is if I was something other than the universe experiencing itself.

Ah,finally, solipism. Well, that puts the fairy on top of thee Xmas tree.

ROFLOLROFLOLROFLOL

Pantheism is actually quite different from solipsism. They are two entire different philosophies. This just further goes to demonstrate that gross ignorance that actually exists concerning the Eastern Mystical philosophies.

Of course, pure solipsism cannot be disproved either so I'm not sure what you're laughing about. The joke might ultimately be one that you're playing on yourself. The solipsists may be right.

I personally don't believe in solipsism, I think reality is more likely to be some form of mystical pantheism. In fact, if you really want to get technical about it, I actually favor "panentheism" myself.

Scientifically there may even be secular ways of preserving individuals after death. Discoveries in the western sciences actually provide a means where all information that ever existed can be preserved.

In fact, that very debate was the central topic of "The Black Hole Wars" between Leonard Susskind and Stephen Hawking. It's a major law of physics that information cannot be lost. In fact, violate that law, and our entire cathedral of modern physics falls. This is why Leonard Susskind was so concerned about information being lost in black holes in the first place.

So even information that falls into black holes cannot be lost from the observable universe and Leonard Susskind and Stephen Hawking found a way to save the information and thus save modern physics.

At the same time, they may have potentially saved our 'souls'. (ha ha)

They may have provided a mechanism through which we can indeed become eternal individuals without violating the sacred laws of the God of the Secularists.

It may be possible to, not only resurrect your physical body and persona, but it may be possible to recreate your entire life and everything that you have ever experienced, and it may even be possible to use any point within that framework to construct a brand new reality that can actually unfold from that point forward differently from the way you had actually experienced in this life. The possibilities are actually quite amazing.

In fact, one scientists is proposing that future humans will actually be able to do this. So he's suggesting that our future descendents may actually be able to do what we believed only the "gods" could do.

It's amazing just how many scientific ideas the human mind can actually come up with that cannot be ruled out by our current knowledge. Of course, then again our current knowledge is so miniscule, it really shouldn't be much of a surprise that we can't rule out very much at all.

I think it's quite interesting that some scientists can actually use scientific knowledge to hypothesis things that we thought should only be possible for "gods". Someday we may be able to control reality, the past, future and present, far more than we ever thought could ever be possible.

We may someday actually have the power to do things that we used to laugh at as being 'impossible' for even 'gods'.

But no Padraic, solipsism is not the same as pantheism, they are two entirely different philosophical views. But don't be too embarrassed about that. A lot of people make that same mistake. That's a very common misunderstanding.

Christian - A moron who believes that an all-benevolent God can simultaneously be a hateful jealous male-chauvinistic pig.
Wiccan - The epitome of cerebral evolution having mastered the magical powers of the universe and is in eternal harmony with the mind of God.
Atheist - An ill-defined term that means something different to everyone who uses it.
~~~~~
Luke 23:34 Then said Jesus, Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do.
Clearly Jesus (a fictitious character or otherwise) will forgive people if they merely know not what they do
For the Bible Tells us so!

Messages In This Thread
RE: "How do I know God exists?" - the first step to atheism - by Abracadabra - February 21, 2012 at 12:25 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do I deal with the belief that maybe... Just maybe... God exists and I'm... Gentle_Idiot 75 6337 November 23, 2022 at 5:34 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  God Exists brokenreflector 210 13000 June 16, 2020 at 1:19 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  How many of you know that there is atheism in Sanatana Dharma ? hindu 19 2295 June 7, 2020 at 11:25 pm
Last Post: Paleophyte
  A possibly new perspective on this thing that we know as God. unityconversation 157 14329 March 18, 2020 at 1:08 am
Last Post: Rahn127
  When and where did atheism first start ? hindu 99 9197 July 16, 2019 at 8:45 pm
Last Post: comet
  First order logic, set theory and God dr0n3 293 27103 December 11, 2018 at 11:35 am
Last Post: T0 Th3 M4X
  Before We Discuss Whether God Exists, I Have A Question Jenny A 113 14878 March 7, 2018 at 5:27 pm
Last Post: possibletarian
  Proof that God exists TheoneandonlytrueGod 203 47019 January 23, 2018 at 11:48 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27131 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Muslims are using this NASA video as proof that islam is true and that allah exists LetThereBeNoGod 10 3967 February 16, 2017 at 9:32 pm
Last Post: LetThereBeNoGod