Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 15, 2024, 2:31 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Christians celebrate rape, torture, slavery and genocide.
RE: Christians celebrate rape, torture, slavery and genocide.
(November 13, 2012 at 4:38 pm)John V Wrote: The OP specified a Christian viewpoint and made "The Bible, and everything in it, are indefatigable truth and must be accepted without doubt or question as factual" a mandatory given.
I am not the OP. Mandatory given...lol.

Quote:No. Neither will those who oppose those alleged opinions.
Far less troubling for those who oppose the opinions I'd say. Not that this need be established, mind you, so long as as you're willing to own the opinions in the interim we can have a discussion, but the very moment "godopinesit" comes up that's a full stop.

Quote:I remember the first atheist board I posted at - the now defunct Cygnus' Study. Back then, the atheists understood the idea of "If the Bible is true, then..." arguments, and didn't say "But you can't prove the Bible is true" when they were losing. Sigh...the good old days.
Whether or not the bible is true has little to do with my opinions of what is or is not celebrated by it's adherents. If the bible is true, and if the bible is not true don't have the power to change my opinion on some issues...and on some of those issues I disagree with the majority of theists I've spoken to. I find it much more useful to poke at what any given person might -wish- to be true..regardless of whether or not it is. Reminding you, for example, that you cannot demonstrate that this or that portion of the bible (in this case the opinions of a god) is true only serves to highlight the ethereal nature of what is going to follow from that point.

Quote:And to keep driving back, people can get meaningful information on someone's opinions from reading a book, even if they never meet the author.
See, we're elaborating. The obvious caveat here is that you cannot demonstrate that the author of the book in question is a god. Who's opinions are we supposed to be talking about? You're assuming what I would have you demonstrate in an effort to justify the assumption itself.

Quote:As noted in last response, that's a given in the OP.
As noted in my own post..I am not the OP.

Quote:Yes.

I asked for clarification...things and this or that didn't help. Maybe you could provide an example since you're having trouble articulating?
So you think your own taste in food is refutable? You don't have a compelling reason to like chocolate? You require your reasons for having specific tastes in food to be something more than subjective?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Christians celebrate rape, torture, slavery and genocide. - by The Grand Nudger - November 13, 2012 at 5:59 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Christians vs Christians (yec) Fake Messiah 52 7962 January 31, 2019 at 2:08 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The Rape of Dinah. Ethics of priestly class. Collective guilt Graufreud 20 2104 July 25, 2018 at 12:38 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Biblical Date Rape chimp3 38 7009 July 29, 2016 at 10:35 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  How long was the rape scandal going on? Nihilist Virus 11 2854 June 13, 2016 at 8:26 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Why do Christians become Christians? SteveII 168 31521 May 20, 2016 at 8:43 pm
Last Post: drfuzzy
  The Immorality of God - Slavery in the Old Testament athrock 307 37223 January 31, 2016 at 5:03 pm
Last Post: Aegon
Video The Bible and Slavery - Kyle Butt IanHulett 12 3217 September 3, 2015 at 3:55 pm
Last Post: Chad32
  Christians. Prove That You Are Real/True Christians Nope 155 51993 September 1, 2015 at 1:26 pm
Last Post: Pyrrho
  Why Do We Think Slavery is Evil? Rhondazvous 96 17149 July 3, 2015 at 3:24 am
Last Post: Redbeard The Pink
  Three Ways to Torture Demons You Haven't Heard of Yet JesusHChrist 15 4911 February 16, 2015 at 8:07 pm
Last Post: vorlon13