Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 13, 2024, 2:38 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Maybe People Should Not Look Up To YouTube Atheist
RE: Maybe People Should Not Look Up To YouTube Atheist
(December 12, 2013 at 3:11 pm)Lemonvariable72 Wrote:
(December 12, 2013 at 2:14 pm)pineapplebunnybounce Wrote: Could you be more specific? I tried looking it up, didn't find anything relating to what we're discussing.

ETA: I mean Lemon.
Actually I think Tara just stated my position better then I did.
Oh you mean custody cases. Yea I'd agree that's one area where men are shortchanged. But I'm from a muslim country, in shariah fathers get custody by default or it's extremely difficult for women to get custody in divorce, extremely. So nonmuslim men often convert after their divorce to get tried in shariah courts so that they can get custody by default. And I also know mothers who refuse to take custody after divorces.

So I definitely agree that custody shouldn't favour one side over the other so strongly just because of cultural "norms". But I'm not sure what this has to do with feminism. If we were to point out all the places where women are shortchanged and say men's rights group aren't doing shit for that, that wouldn't really be fair, would it? Because first of all we don't know if they are doing things about it, but we certainly cannot fault them for how things are today.

And this is a very north american view of women's issues, if you look at the third world countries, there is a great need for feminism and a fight for women's rights. In N america I feel like people spend a lot of time squabbling over the details (custody isn't a detail, but other issues), but in many places in the world, women don't even get to go to school or work just because they're women. When disaster strikes in third world countries women are more likely to die than men, women suffer higher rates of infant mortality than men in several different countries, in refugee camps women often have to have "survival sex" to get food and resources to keep themselves alive. So feminism isn't going to stop just because some groups have lost sight of what they're doing because there's still a great need for women's rights in many parts of the world. I'm not going to say these are issues that men's rights have to deal with to prove they're for equality. What's the point of that? It's petty. Whoever is going to deal with it deals with it, someone needs to, that's all.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Maybe People Should Not Look Up To YouTube Atheist - by pineapplebunnybounce - December 12, 2013 at 10:09 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do I deal with the belief that maybe... Just maybe... God exists and I'm... Gentle_Idiot 75 6487 November 23, 2022 at 5:34 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  If you had to pick between people who pimp prostitutes vs religious people Woah0 22 2022 August 28, 2022 at 5:51 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  I have made a new YouTube video about afterlife... FlatAssembler 32 2353 July 12, 2022 at 2:35 pm
  People are not 'Going to Hell' - they're already in Hell. The Kreisel 22 2448 February 18, 2021 at 9:31 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Maybe there's something like a god out there. Ryantology 38 3045 June 5, 2020 at 8:42 am
  Hilarious argument from someone I encountered in the youtube comments Heat 19 4824 April 23, 2020 at 3:32 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Posted comments on Youtube gets deleted Ferrocyanide 16 1977 April 19, 2020 at 6:28 am
  How should an atheist react to discrimination? Der/die AtheistIn 21 2746 March 26, 2019 at 9:14 pm
  Should I tell my girlfriend that I'm an atheist? erealmz 45 9220 November 19, 2017 at 9:07 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Atheists, tell me, a Roman Catholic: why should I become an atheist? Balaco 596 93660 June 14, 2017 at 3:26 am
Last Post: Omnisofos