Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 12, 2024, 5:58 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Christians, what is your VERY BEST arguments for the existence of God?
RE: Christians, what is your VERY BEST arguments for the existence of God?
(December 26, 2009 at 7:23 am)theVOID Wrote: I would be interested to see what you consider to be the very best arguments for the existence of God are. Do you think you have a solid argument for the existence of God? Please share Smile

Okay, back from the holidays and I see a lot has been going on,

presupositions
1-The best evidence should be suitable to the object of proof. Historical truth requires historical evidence. empirical truth, the testimony of experience. mathmatical truth, mathmatical evidence and equation. Thusly; spiritual truth , demonstrations of the spirit.
2- evidence is cummulative and once a threshold is attained belief can superimpose faith.
3- Without allowing for the possiblity of the impossible, one can believe in nothing.

John 12-15"I have much more to say to you, more than you can now bear. But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come. 14He will bring glory to me by taking from what is mine and making it known to you. 15All that belongs to the Father is mine. That is why I said the Spirit will take from what is mine and make it known to you.

arguments
1- Intuition. Religious elements, or a belief system, of our nature is as universal as rational elements and social elements. Sensory perceptions, intellectual intuitions and moral intutions being 3 types of intuition. "When a man feels pain, he may refer it to the wrong place, or to a wrong cause; but he knows that it is pain. If he sees an object, he may be mistaken as to its nature; but he knows that he sees, and that what he sees is the cause of the sensation which he experiences. These are intuitions, because they are immediate perceptions of what is true. The conviction which attends our sensations is due not to instruction but to the constitution of our nature."-Hodge (ref) Intuition allows no proof necessary. I don't have to convince anyone that the shortest distance between 2 lines, geometrically, is a straight line, or that there exists right and wrong. It can be supported by current practical experience, but none is necessary for convition of belief.

2- The bible doesn't try to convince man that God exists, it is the presuposition that "In the begining God..." And was written by believers for believers. It does contain analytical accounts on the idea of God and a developing idea of the properties of said God. Other religious works use the same presupositions for their diety/ dieties allowing for intuitive acceptance of a God.

3- Creator arguement. I don't believe the universe to be eternal. Existance in this universe is contigent, or dependant. Meaning every part of it is dependent on or affect the other parts. Cause produce effect, which are themselves an effect unto themselves. From current observation we have seen stars cease, buildings crumble, corpses decay to dust. Nothing within our observation (being finite creatures) is independant or self-sustaining. Why then would I assume that our universe is eternal and independant. I personally feel the universe will entropy and had a beginning, but won't reference the second law seing as it doesn't apply. If it is not self-sustaining and began, it needs a catalyst for it's inception. No where in here did I state that God can't have a creator. I won't make suppositions outside of my percievable existance though.

4-Intelligent design. While I agree with evolution and some part of natural selection leading to today's society, I can not account for the idealistic morals, societal developement and hugely complicated eco-system which we live in and reasonably accept the lack of extra-terrestial life elswhere as not having a specific design. While I agree that intellegent design, as a movement, is very small minded and "junk science" you can't really scientifically measure the intangible. Selective evolution has shown a lot of real promise for creation. It begs the question who did the selecting though.

5- If God is intuitive, man "argues that we have an idea of God. This idea of God is infinitely greater than man himself. Hence, it cannot have it's origin in man. It can only have it's origin in God himself"-Hoeksema

6-Moralistic arguement. Everyone has a belief of right and wrong. We'll call it a voice or conscience. I'm sure I'd enjoy life a lot more if I didn't feel guilty when going to a stip club or wanting to bash in the head of that jerk in the office. This sense of duty has no regard for my inclinations and is not self-imposed wholely. It also supposes a speaker.

7- Congruity. The postulate that God exists best explains moral, mental and religious nature, matter in the universe and the laws of the material universe. Can we really see every particle that science inffers, or do we postulate an explination that harmonizes the observable results?

I'm too tired to type more ATM.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Christians, what is your VERY BEST arguments for the existence of God? - by tackattack - December 28, 2009 at 6:18 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What are the best arguments against Christian Science? FlatAssembler 8 504 September 17, 2023 at 6:49 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  [Serious] For former Christians only, why did you leave your faith? Jehanne 159 13665 January 16, 2023 at 7:36 am
Last Post: h4ym4n
  Existence of Marcion questioned? JairCrawford 28 2142 March 4, 2022 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  VERY Basic Doctrines of Calvinism johndoe122931 18 2438 June 7, 2021 at 3:13 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Spiritual realm is very likely real (demonic possession)? Flavius007 23 2030 May 13, 2021 at 8:58 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
Question [Serious] Christians what would change your mind? Xaventis 154 9569 August 20, 2020 at 7:11 am
  Christians vs Christians (yec) Fake Messiah 52 7951 January 31, 2019 at 2:08 pm
  Christians: What line are you unwilling to cross for God? Cecelia 96 10703 September 5, 2018 at 6:19 pm
  The existence of god Foxaèr 16 2904 May 5, 2018 at 3:42 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Christians: Why does the answer have to be god? IanHulett 67 15225 April 5, 2018 at 3:33 pm