Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 12, 2024, 6:47 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Christians, what is your VERY BEST arguments for the existence of God?
RE: Christians, what is your VERY BEST arguments for the existence of God?
(December 29, 2009 at 9:16 am)ib.me.ub Wrote:

It is a common acceptance in the christian belief that God can not be truely known. An idea of God can be had because he has revealed himself to us. Gathering a definition of what you are trying to know is the first step on the road to truth. Definition is the reason to ask abouth things far from actual understanding.

(December 29, 2009 at 10:35 am)chatpilot Wrote:

While I respect your opinion and your background in religion. It's blatently obvious by your belittling dismissal that you are far too emotional to further the productivity of this topic.

(December 29, 2009 at 12:32 pm)Ashes1995 Wrote:

1. Murderers and thieves (some of the best of which are christians) are self-deluded men justifing their actions. Natural disasters are part of the cycle of the life of matter as is death. No peace on earth, well there would be if free will and knowledge of evil didn't exist.
2.What is the value of a brand new gun? Just it's cost. Now add 1000 years to it and some interaction with history and it's value increases exponentially. In the flow of time, history and action have a compounding effect on the worth of something the farther it progresses from it's originating source.

(December 29, 2009 at 10:12 pm)Pippy Wrote:

I wouldn't have gone as far as to assign a new name to atheism, but I definately agree with your frustration. I especially like "The problem with religion is not it's existence, but that it can make people fanatic, and controlling of others. Not every believer has something wrong with them, only fanatical ones. " may I quote you on that.

(December 29, 2009 at 11:06 pm)theVOID Wrote:

1. I do consider intuition evidence of God and do accept psychic phenomenon, ghosts and other people's belief systems. Intuition is also subjective; and, en masse, usually unreliable. On a personal, trial and error on effects, bassis though I've found my intuition very reliable.

2. Yes I've made some arguements from ignorance and lack of imagination. That's why I'm here. Thank you for pointing them out.

3. I'm glad we agree the universe had a beginning at least.

4."Many theories in physics have mathematical singularities of one kind or another. Equations for these physical theories predict that the rate of change of some quantity becomes infinite or increases without limit. This is generally a sign for a missing piece in the theory, as in the Ultraviolet Catastrophe and in renormalization." (ref) While I'm just parroting and have barely the foggiest idea of singularities and quantum physics, it seems to me that singularities are to science what God is to religion.

5. I had to look up Paley's watch, so thank you. While it indeed is a small analogy and by itself useless, everything in nature (human or the laws of) can't be explained by natural selection either. Why can't natural selection and evolution be a foundation for God's design?

6. What you're asking for throughout the rest is not evidence. Are you looking for objective, tangible scientific proof perhaps? If that's the case, since experience and parts of existance are subjective, and spiritual things are intangible I'm not sure I could provide you with any. Aside from that you probably wouldn't accept Geomagnetometers of EMF meters.

7. What I've come to realize in my brief time here is that In trying to "see God" a lot of atheists rely only on tangible, objective and scientific proof for their "world view". Am I wrong? Is this any worse than accepting belief on blind faith? I don't think it is. Let's use another metaphor:
You're told by 5 people that the twin towers have been blown up. You're skeptical, but after 100 people tell you and some of them were there, you want to see for yourself. You look in the news and internet for pictures and other "reliable evidence". You're still skeptical because the newspapers have an agenda and pictures can be doctored. You've determined to go "see it for yourself", which you can because it's a tangible place. You do and you believe. Long gone are the days when God takes people into the heavens and shows them true miracles. Maybe it's due to our skepticism, or lack of faith, idk. IMO heaven or the afterlife isn't a tangible place, but I believe it could exist and most likely does. If it does exist (which is unknowable) then I wouldn't need that much evidence to define what it really takes to get there. I can respect your search for truth and am perhaps the weaker for not struggling harder for proof. This is where we'll have to agree that without belief in the impossible we could never wholely agree. I'm sorry I couldn't provide the types of proof requested Void.

(December 29, 2009 at 11:14 pm)Rhizomorph13 Wrote:

The question wasn't referenced to me, but I don't believe I choose to see God. What sticks out in me was that you tried desperatly to fit God into your life. Accepting God in your life affords him a place in it and no desperate attempts to justify are necessary. Perhaps you hadn't truly accpeted God?

(December 29, 2009 at 6:49 pm)Rhizomorph13 Wrote:

With that last sentence are you asserting your belief that free will doesn't exist?

-PS thanx Saerules for the show content stuff. It's getting long and complicated.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Christians, what is your VERY BEST arguments for the existence of God? - by tackattack - December 30, 2009 at 7:45 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What are the best arguments against Christian Science? FlatAssembler 8 504 September 17, 2023 at 6:49 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  [Serious] For former Christians only, why did you leave your faith? Jehanne 159 13665 January 16, 2023 at 7:36 am
Last Post: h4ym4n
  Existence of Marcion questioned? JairCrawford 28 2142 March 4, 2022 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  VERY Basic Doctrines of Calvinism johndoe122931 18 2439 June 7, 2021 at 3:13 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Spiritual realm is very likely real (demonic possession)? Flavius007 23 2030 May 13, 2021 at 8:58 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
Question [Serious] Christians what would change your mind? Xaventis 154 9569 August 20, 2020 at 7:11 am
  Christians vs Christians (yec) Fake Messiah 52 7951 January 31, 2019 at 2:08 pm
  Christians: What line are you unwilling to cross for God? Cecelia 96 10703 September 5, 2018 at 6:19 pm
  The existence of god Foxaèr 16 2904 May 5, 2018 at 3:42 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Christians: Why does the answer have to be god? IanHulett 67 15227 April 5, 2018 at 3:33 pm