Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 20, 2024, 7:47 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Do Christians really believe most of us are going to hell?
RE: Do Christians really believe most of us are going to hell?
Meh, science schmience. What I mean is, how do we go about questioning the self professed beliefs of others? What framework would be valid if our beliefs - about our beliefs, could not be stated as fact, accepted as a premise. An axiom. It's a sort of logical rabbit hole. I mean, I accept questioning them as useful, I'm onboard...but any claim you want to make about the belief of another simply -has to be corroborated by that other-...or else it's just imagination at play. You may think you're right, you may be right...but that doesn;t mean that they believe that you are right.

My alternative is not practically the same. It is entirely different. In your scenario, from your example, you conclude that perhaps you did not really believe what you thought you believed. I accept that. It's insightful, it's authoritative -for your experience anyway (if your beliefs about your beliefs can be believed)-.

In my example, they really do believe - exactly what they profess to believe....and they've found some other way to deal with whatever dissonance you might imagine that this could create.....if they even feel any. This is not a judgement of these people, it is not an issue of malice. It;s just a statement of what may be possible, that happens to have examples easily evident in our experience.

Let me put it to you this way. I could ask a couple theists on this board if they believed I was going to hell. They'd say yes...and they'd mean it. Completely and utterly.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Do Christians really believe most of us are going to hell? - by The Grand Nudger - June 30, 2014 at 6:32 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What is going to happen when Jesus returns? Fake Messiah 21 2358 March 19, 2023 at 12:00 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  7th grader commits suicide after being told that he is going to Hell. Jehanne 12 1557 December 9, 2021 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  They're going to be chanting to the wrong God. brewer 32 2851 March 17, 2021 at 2:39 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  If you knew for certain that you were going to Hell zwanzig 32 3117 March 9, 2021 at 8:48 pm
Last Post: Ryantology
  Who goes to hell - as far as those pious Bible Christians are concerned? Dundee 71 7142 June 14, 2020 at 12:41 pm
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Telling children that they are going to hell is abusive? Fake Messiah 104 9908 February 9, 2020 at 2:46 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Are there any Christians here who believe in zombies? Jehanne 41 4973 February 1, 2019 at 9:30 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Christians vs Christians (yec) Fake Messiah 52 8065 January 31, 2019 at 2:08 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The ECLIPSE! It's going to be a sign from GAWD! drfuzzy 148 33997 January 5, 2018 at 2:02 pm
Last Post: Losty
  Ex-Christians: How do you lose your fear of hell? KiwiNFLFan 29 5733 November 20, 2017 at 2:07 pm
Last Post: purplepurpose