Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 20, 2024, 4:31 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Do Christians really believe most of us are going to hell?
RE: Do Christians really believe most of us are going to hell?
(June 30, 2014 at 9:06 am)Irrational Wrote: It seems you're equating "Christ" to "God", but that's not necessarily the case, even today.
Christ, in any permutation, will refer to god. Were basically discussing christology at this point. Which is a steaming turd if ever there were one....but. Jesus of nazereth was not jesus christ -even in the narrative...in any version of that narrative, until his believed resurrection, some reference to a god is absolutely required before we can call him christ. If you can explain that resurrection in terms that do not refer to god (for example) and remain consistent with the NT have at it. I can't. Doesn't mean there couldn't be a way, and I'd sure as hell like to see it if there were.

Quote:Would you consider Jehovah's Witnesses to be Christians? They believe in Christ but not as God.
This is from their translation, (new world translation) of john.

Quote:No man has seen God at any time;+ the only-begotten god+ who is at the Father’s side*+ is the one who has explained Him.+
To which begotten god might they be referring? Does it sound to you like the author didn't think that "christ" was a god?

Oddly enough, the charge that JWs both believe that jesus was a god and that they don't has been leveled at them by other christians...who don't think that they are christians. The truth of the matter is a bit more complicated. Feel free to wander over to their website and get the "good news in the kingdom" directly from the horses mouth on that count. Here again (in JW beliefs) we see that without invoking god - the title christ is empty.

Christ as living god was probably a poor example - as it is definitely not the entirety of what the title can, or does mean. Think of it as an example of the sorts of things christ can refer to, without having to go through the trouble of reciting the 72 names of god - etc.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Do Christians really believe most of us are going to hell? - by The Grand Nudger - June 30, 2014 at 10:08 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What is going to happen when Jesus returns? Fake Messiah 21 2358 March 19, 2023 at 12:00 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  7th grader commits suicide after being told that he is going to Hell. Jehanne 12 1557 December 9, 2021 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  They're going to be chanting to the wrong God. brewer 32 2844 March 17, 2021 at 2:39 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  If you knew for certain that you were going to Hell zwanzig 32 3117 March 9, 2021 at 8:48 pm
Last Post: Ryantology
  Who goes to hell - as far as those pious Bible Christians are concerned? Dundee 71 7141 June 14, 2020 at 12:41 pm
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Telling children that they are going to hell is abusive? Fake Messiah 104 9908 February 9, 2020 at 2:46 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Are there any Christians here who believe in zombies? Jehanne 41 4973 February 1, 2019 at 9:30 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Christians vs Christians (yec) Fake Messiah 52 8065 January 31, 2019 at 2:08 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The ECLIPSE! It's going to be a sign from GAWD! drfuzzy 148 33997 January 5, 2018 at 2:02 pm
Last Post: Losty
  Ex-Christians: How do you lose your fear of hell? KiwiNFLFan 29 5733 November 20, 2017 at 2:07 pm
Last Post: purplepurpose