Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 8, 2024, 4:48 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your personal take on “The Problem of Evil?”
RE: Your personal take on “The Problem of Evil?”
(September 3, 2014 at 2:45 pm)Michael Wrote: Esquilax, why would we want to divorce the concept of good and evil from actions and consequences? A good act is a loving act. We are called to love. Or at least I know I am, in the core of my being. I can only definitively speak of my own conscience, my own vocation, though that echoes the call in our scripture.

Well, in your last post you said that evolutionary models of morality don't discuss good or bad, merely different stripes of behavior. But that implies that goodness and badness are defined by something other than actions or the consequences of them; if morality is connected to behavior then evolutionary models are certainly speaking on morality when they speak on behaviors.

You define a good act as a loving act, but I think you need to be careful with that, as many actions performed with loving intent can be considered evil: the father who beats his child to get him to behave may be doing so for what he perceives to be the child's own good, and yet beating a child is evil. A stalker might kidnap someone because they love them so, but kidnapping too is evil. Evidently, determinations of morality work on more than merely intentions. We could say that loving actions are good within the context of those actions that are traditionally considered loving, but then we're forced to confront the question of how those traditional behaviors became so. The answer to that is via the popularity of the reliable consequences of those actions, and that popularity is determined by the positive impact those consequences leave on the individuals involved.

... Which is exactly how evolved moral systems determine good or bad behaviors. Positive impacts= happier, healthier individuals= tighter community=better survival. Now, those are just generalities, I'm sure you can produce exceptions, but evolution isn't a tightly focused, responsive thing that can address every contention as they arise; it takes a while to see the impact of things.
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Your personal take on “The Problem of Evil?” - by Endo - September 1, 2014 at 11:56 pm
RE: Your personal take on “The Problem of Evil?” - by Esquilax - September 3, 2014 at 3:03 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Are cats evil beasts that should be killed to save mice? FlatAssembler 34 2517 November 28, 2022 at 11:41 am
Last Post: Fireball
  does evil exist? Quill01 51 3674 November 15, 2022 at 5:30 am
Last Post: h4ym4n
  The "Take it or leave it" Approach Leonardo17 1 326 November 9, 2022 at 2:06 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  [Serious] Questions about Belief and Personal Identity Neo-Scholastic 27 1876 June 11, 2021 at 8:28 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  The argument against "evil", theists please come to the defense. Mystic 158 68642 December 29, 2017 at 7:21 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  One sentence that throws the problem of evil out of the window. Mystic 473 51210 November 12, 2017 at 7:57 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Reasoning showing homosexuality is evil. Mystic 315 46840 October 23, 2017 at 12:34 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Reasoning showing that heterosexuality is evil I_am_not_mafia 21 4648 October 23, 2017 at 8:23 am
Last Post: ignoramus
Wink Emoticons are Intrinsically Good and Evil Fireball 4 1104 October 21, 2017 at 12:11 am
Last Post: Succubus
  My take on regret Mr.Obvious 20 2818 October 20, 2017 at 7:37 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger