Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 14, 2024, 5:39 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Losing Faith Complicates Mental Health Recovery?
RE: Losing Faith Complicates Mental Health Recovery?
(November 19, 2014 at 11:34 pm)Quantum1Connect Wrote: I left mormonism, had been depressed two years before then, and when I left things got worse.

Anyone else experienced this?

Anyone ever felt so insecure and empty after leaving an extremist dogma?

I think, especially in the case of mormonism, the practitioner of any serious sect has to sacrifice their identity for the sake of the church. For someone who has mental health issues, this creates another bag of problems to heals.

Just a thought.

Religion is poison.

I don't blame it, I take responsibility for my own fate and emotions, but I think things would be easier without the dogmatic variable of absolute servitude.

ManMachine's answer was very good, but I thought I'd add a little.

The brain likes stability, especially when it comes to the model of reality it creates for itself. Uprooting that model by concluding your religion is false will cause the brain to be unbalanced. When you combine that with mental health issues, which essentially means you have a brain that doesn't stabilize very well, you throw your brain and your sense of self into a sort of chaotic soup. It's a one-two combo that can really mess you up.

I have never dealt with leaving a religion, but having spent over a decade battling mental health issues myself, I can see how it would exacerbate the situation. Just do your best to stay vigilant about what helps and what hurts and remember that there are many others out there that share your struggles.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell

Messages In This Thread
RE: Losing Faith Complicates Mental Health Recovery? - by Drich - November 20, 2014 at 12:07 am
RE: Losing Faith Complicates Mental Health Recovery? - by Faith No More - November 21, 2014 at 3:23 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  At what point does faith become insanity? Fake Messiah 64 3933 May 8, 2023 at 10:37 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  The soft toys parents hope connect kids to their faith zebo-the-fat 13 1275 October 31, 2021 at 3:50 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Health class christian teacher..... brewer 7 774 March 26, 2021 at 10:37 pm
Last Post: no one
  Baha'i faith Figbash 5 982 April 13, 2020 at 12:31 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  [Serious] Comfort in Faith at Death Shell B 142 11425 August 4, 2019 at 11:30 am
Last Post: Catholic_Lady
  Atheist who is having a crisis of faith emilsein 204 13294 April 29, 2019 at 6:41 pm
Last Post: Losty
  "Losing virginity" - what is being lost here? Fake Messiah 36 4071 September 12, 2018 at 9:14 am
Last Post: polymath257
  Faith industry Graufreud 8 919 August 8, 2018 at 6:54 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Religion and health - not exactly what we've been told.... Angrboda 4 742 July 22, 2018 at 10:18 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  My faith is on hold. Mystic 16 4308 May 3, 2018 at 9:40 am
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic