Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 21, 2024, 7:39 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How Muslims believed earth was spherical long before anybody mentions it.
RE: How Muslims believed earth was spherical long before anybody mentions it.
This is post is continuation of my previous post which I didn’t finish because I was becoming too tired. I believe this post will mean I have responded on everything there was to respond to. If not, I'd like to know.
(March 13, 2015 at 5:13 pm)MrNoMorePropaganda Wrote: Click the green arrow for a link to the previous post.

(March 12, 2015 at 5:34 pm)AtlasS2 Wrote: ( 36 ) But Satan caused them to slip out of it and removed them from that [condition] in which they had been. And We said, "Go down, [all of you], as enemies to one another, and you will have upon the earth a place of settlement and provision for a time." page 6

( 24 ) [Allah] said, "Descend, being to one another enemies. And for you on the earth is a place of settlement and enjoyment for a time." page 153
People have always known entities fall so I see nothing miraculous in the verse. Saying that men can fall is nothing miraculous. The verses need to describe gravity in more detail for me to be conv. I could check the Tafsir for the verses you provided but I don’t think I need to.

I really don’t understand how the verses you have provided mention gravity. All they seem to be saying is that life is limited and that the Earth is a place of settlement, which of course it is. The Earth is where people live and in that sense the verse makes sense. I struggle to understand where gravity comes in.

I suppose my comment about the Crimean War was rather ignorant. The Ottomans were really only allies of convenience. I suppose, like Saudi Arabia. To be honest, I don’t think the Saudi establishment really likes my country. They only pretend so that they can get all that advanced technology. All that money that is spent on oil is recouped by selling advanced technology to the Saudis – particularly weaponry. I didn’t think there could be Sheikhs crazier than the Sheikh from the movie Salmon Fishing in the Yemen, but time again I have been proven wrong (it’s a great movie by the way).

In terms of Israel: Whenever there are enough believers they will try to working towards fulfilling prophecies in their religious texts in order to reassure believers. That’s why I laugh when people say that Arabs competing with each other to build ever taller buildings was predicted by Muhammad. It’s a rubbish prophecy because it’s something people can work towards and he never provided a timeframe for it.

And yes, I remember Vlad Dracul. He was a strange one, although I can't help but feel that some of the stories about him are exaggerated. History is what people say happened and this may not be what actually happened. The Sykes–Picot Agreement is one of history's more disturbing events and it is shameful how one country can carve up another. Know that I will denounce Imperialism wherever it rears its ugly head.

In regard to Venice, surely they benefited from having friendly relations with the Ottomans? Venice is not Rome and if you are good friends someone then they are more inclined to give you a better deal in trade. Venice, with it's love of economics, would have wanted to at least try to be friends with the Ottomans because their ships would have to pass through their seas to get the pepper, etc, from Arabia. Maybe they weren't that good friends but I think that they both benefited from the relationship that they had.

Most immigrants to my country are nice people. I happen to know a few and I am eternally grateful for the Kebab outlet near me. But there are some (insert rude words here). There are nasty people in every community, sure, but in particular I don’t like to see people out on streets who are promoting the vile ideology of Mr. Wahhab. There is too much money from Saudi Arabia in my country. I would hate to be taken back to the days of the Salaf.

Finally, I will not dispute what you have said about Greek views on the inside of the Earth. It doesn’t seem relevant to the discussion anyway. People believe lots of crazy things and that is what ultimately led me to this forum. Reading the Quran made me want to become an Atheist even more, particularly because it contains the same ridiculous story of Noah’s (global) flood. Quran 11:42 mentions waves the size of mountains.

As for the scholars whose names you listed, at present I can’t be bothered to verify what you’ve said about them. I’m sure somebody else will. I am sure they are all very smart people though.

Messages In This Thread
RE: How Muslims believed earth was spherical long before anybody mentions it. - by ReptilianPeon - March 13, 2015 at 5:13 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Quranic Reflection] : "Joseph; he came to you before with the clear proofs". WinterHold 60 5037 September 22, 2023 at 10:01 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Muslims , please answer this . Enlightened Ape 13 2233 August 13, 2022 at 10:32 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Sudan scraps apostasy law and alcohol ban for non-Muslims zebo-the-fat 19 4155 October 14, 2020 at 10:20 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  [Quranic Reflection]: What should Muslims do when the verses of God are made fun of? WinterHold 37 5902 September 9, 2020 at 5:28 pm
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  [Remember]: how the Spanish infedels treated Muslims WinterHold 146 12792 August 8, 2020 at 4:18 am
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Muslims: If the Koran is Unaltered... chimp3 57 8119 April 21, 2020 at 3:46 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Flat Earth and other scientific errors in the Quran Fake Messiah 4 1137 January 19, 2020 at 12:28 pm
Last Post: FlatAssembler
  For being religious, Muslims sure lie a lot! Jehanne 12 1685 October 20, 2018 at 1:17 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Should muslims obey infidel leaders in non islamic countries? Rika82 6 1083 September 13, 2018 at 4:10 am
Last Post: pocaracas
  Can muslims even be artists or game developers if imagery is forbidden? Rokan 0 523 August 29, 2018 at 4:14 am
Last Post: Rokan