Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 7, 2024, 8:39 am

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
The Reasons why "Just Following Jesus" Doesn't work
RE: The Reasons why "Just Following Jesus" Doesn't work
(February 4, 2016 at 2:36 pm)Rekeisha Wrote:
(February 3, 2016 at 4:23 pm)Redbeard The Pink Wrote: So what you're telling me is that rape and genocide are morally acceptable, so long as Gaud either commands it or does it himself. What horrendously dangerous logic.

In that case, Gaud's morality is completely arbitrary and subjective to his whim, and an objective moral standard STILL does not exist in the Universe, even by your own theology. Furthermore, it means that your Gaud is still a vindictive, judgmental monster who doles out punishments like rape, genocide, and eternal torture for even marginal offenses. If Gaud were a person running for office, would you vote for him? I sure wouldn't. If he were a super hero, would you want his help? I sure wouldn't.

Also, if Gaud has to do things he does not take pleasure in, then he is not all-powerful.

No I did not say that nor was I telling you that I usually say what I mean to say. As you can see from the section that I quoted I was expressing that those verses were the judgement of God. God has no where in the bible said that rape or genocide is morally acceptable nor do those verse you provide prove that God sees them as good. He has actually stated the a murder should die and that a rapist of an engaged woman should also die. God has given humankind a way to live based on His unchanging nature. You have used your own  morals, which you have already confessed are subjective and not based on any absolute, and labeled those verses as a good thing in God's eyes.  Never has God ever explicitly or implicitly stated that He views rape or genocide as good. The bible as a whole shows how bent mankind is on disobeying and rejecting God's commands and ways. There is not a person, except Jesus the second person of the trinity and God incarnate, who was ever fully and totally good. Everyone has sinned everyone has turned from God and you can see it all in the pages of the bible. The book of Judges is an unwavering example of what people do when they do what is right in their own eyes. (jud 21:25). They had God's law but they followed it. 

How does doing things He has no pleasure in doing make him not all-powerful? What does pleasure have to do with power?

Here's what you don't seem to be getting: Gaud repeatedly destroys humans in the Bible, and he commands them to destroy each other. Regardless of whether he wants to or not, that is how your Gaud metes out "justice." That means one of two things:

Either murder, genocide, and rape are morally acceptable punishments so long as Gaud commands them, or Gaud commands humans to take immoral actions to dish out his punishments.

If murder, rape, and genocide are immoral most of the time but moral when Gaud commands it, then Gaud's morality is subjective and not objective.

If murder, rape, and genocide are always immoral, then Gaud essentially commands his people to sin every time they carry out one of these "judgements" over a neighboring people. If Gaud has ever commanded us to be immoral, then he can't be the perfect and absolute source of all morality.

An all-powerful being would never have to do anything it didn't want to. If Gaud is judging us according to this system and commanding these awful punishments, it's either because he wants to or because he has to. If it's because he wants to, then he's an immoral monster who doesn't love us. If it's because he has to, then he is beholden to a set of rules, meaning he's not all-powerful and he's not the absolute source of all morals.
Verbatim from the mouth of Jesus (retranslated from a retranslation of a copy of a copy):

"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you too will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you. How can you see your brother's head up his ass when your own vision is darkened by your head being even further up your ass? How can you say to your brother, 'Get your head out of your ass,' when all the time your head is up your own ass? You hypocrite! First take your head out of your own ass, and then you will see clearly who has his head up his ass and who doesn't." Matthew 7:1-5 (also Luke 6: 41-42)

Also, I has a website: www.RedbeardThePink.com

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Reasons why "Just Following Jesus" Doesn't work - by Redbeard The Pink - February 6, 2016 at 10:00 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A 21st Century Ontological Argument: does it work. JJoseph 23 1305 January 9, 2024 at 8:10 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Atheists, if God doesnt exist, then explain why Keanu Reeves looks like Jesus Christ Frakki 9 1048 April 1, 2023 at 4:07 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  Why God doesn't stop satan? purplepurpose 225 14994 June 28, 2021 at 1:52 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
Photo Popular atheist says universe is not a work of art like a painting Walter99 32 3459 March 22, 2021 at 1:24 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  Why is Jesus Circumcised and not the rest of the christians ? Megabullshit 23 5388 February 9, 2020 at 3:20 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  How can you be sure that God doesn't exist? randomguy123 50 5816 August 14, 2019 at 10:46 pm
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Do you know that homeopathy doesn't work, or do you just lack belief that it does? I_am_not_mafia 24 5288 August 25, 2018 at 4:34 am
Last Post: EgoDeath
  The Never-Addressed reasons that lead me to Atheism Chimera7 26 3785 August 20, 2018 at 10:10 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Not religious doesn't necessarily mean atheist John V 99 17621 November 8, 2017 at 9:28 pm
Last Post: Martian Mermaid
  Being An Atheist Doesn't Make You A Good Person mlmooney89 38 7071 September 7, 2017 at 10:29 am
Last Post: drfuzzy