Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 10, 2024, 3:35 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dear Christians: What does your god actually do?
RE: Dear Christians: What does your god actually do?
(September 25, 2015 at 3:57 pm)drfuzzy Wrote: There was a flood.  Actually, there were a lot of floods in southern Mesopotamia approx. 3500 - 2800 BCE.  Archeologists find flood strata at Ur and Kish and Shurrupak.  It's widely accepted that these floods were the most likely origin for the Ut-napashtim story.  They were pretty massive - they weren't global, that's not even possible by the planet's own ecology - but they put a good chunk of land underwater.  Any trader, carrying family and livestock on the Tigris or Euphrates rivers could have floated around for quite a while - - possibly even lost in the Persian Gulf.  

I don't believe the bible is a credible historical document.  But I do like the thought that some of these old fables probably had a basis in fact.  
Who knows?  There could even have been an Exodus.   A small group of Hebrews in Egypt could have pissed off their neighbors, and packed up their toys and left. They got lost and forgot which way was north for a while.  Or something.  And the tale gets told generation after generation, and the next thing you know they're being led by a minor Egyptian prince who was born a Hebrew (which actually started as the birth story of Horus) and their God was a pillar of fire who parted the sea and killed the Egyptian army and . . . yeah.  Stories get embellished. 

It's kind of like the difference between Santa Claus and St. Nicolaus.

Sure. And no reader not absolutely committed to the idea that the Bible is a completely accurate historical document would have any problem with what you've written. I'm just hoping to get GC or any other Biblical literalist reading this thread to simply acknowledge that their approach to the Bible is untenable and can't stand up to rational scrutiny. Hell, I don't even really care if he or others remain Christian. I'd just like them to abandon the ridiculous assumption that the Bible is 100% factually accurate as it's written.

The Noah story a memory and retelling of a devastating regional flood (or series of such floods)? I don't doubt it for a moment.

Messages In This Thread
Dear Christians: What does your god actually do? - by Aractus - September 22, 2015 at 8:23 pm
RE: Dear Christians: What does your god actually do? - by StuW - September 24, 2015 at 3:03 am
RE: Dear Christians: What does your god actually do? - by StuW - September 25, 2015 at 1:11 am
RE: Dear Christians: What does your god actually do? - by Crossless1 - September 25, 2015 at 4:05 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dear God, please soften their hearts... zwanzig 12 1050 August 6, 2023 at 3:31 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  [Serious] For former Christians only, why did you leave your faith? Jehanne 159 13590 January 16, 2023 at 7:36 am
Last Post: h4ym4n
  Why does god put the needs of the few above the need of the many? Greatest I am 69 5352 February 19, 2021 at 10:30 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
Question [Serious] Christians what would change your mind? Xaventis 154 9523 August 20, 2020 at 7:11 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Who the Hell does God think he is?? Drich 13 1708 March 6, 2020 at 12:15 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Christians vs Christians (yec) Fake Messiah 52 7934 January 31, 2019 at 2:08 pm
  Christians: What line are you unwilling to cross for God? Cecelia 96 10680 September 5, 2018 at 6:19 pm
  No Shitball, It Does Not Violate Your Rights Minimalist 10 2215 April 22, 2018 at 4:57 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Christians: Why does the answer have to be god? IanHulett 67 15214 April 5, 2018 at 3:33 pm
  Christians: Does Your God Have Testicles and Ovaries? chimp3 97 18817 April 1, 2018 at 1:37 am
Last Post: GrandizerII