Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 9, 2024, 7:50 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dear Christians: What does your god actually do?
RE: Dear Christians: What does your god actually do?
Crossless1 Wrote:That being the case, and given the utter lack of evidence for a global flood as described in Genesis, why then are you still a Christian? Mind you, I'm not saying that people who don't accept a literal account of the flood story must give up their Christian faith on that basis, but you have pretty much put it in those terms for yourself.

First of all there are flood stories from all over the world, even from peoples who wouldn't have had communication with each other, second there is evidence of great flooding all over the world, I know there are places where this evidence doesn't appear. So you see there isn't enough evidence against the flood story to dismiss it. As for the scientist at AIG, some were former atheist and they are good scientist with a different view.

Crossless1 Wrote:And the math analogy is a non-starter. The student can learn the proofs necessary to understand why the teacher is correct, and it doesn't depend on accepting anything on faith but on a step-by-step process of reasoning. You've decided, on faith alone, that the flood must have happened because otherwise the "teacher", i.e., the Bible, is untrustworthy. And in the process, you've ignored the possibility that the Bible could convey "truths" through non-literal means.

There's nothing that compares well between the spiritual and physical world. However if a student was rejecting what the math books are saying because he didn't understand what he was reading and was stubborn about his belief he would be stifling the teachers efforts. Let me say this God has taken me to an assurance that He and the Bible are both very real and very trustworthy. 

Crossless1 Wrote:*Feeling a bit odd defending the Bible to a Baptist*   Angel

I'm not sure how you see you're defending the Bible when you call it non-literal, the prophecies and some parables can't be taken as literal events.

Crossless1 Wrote:Edited to add: my point about the Chinese, Egyptians, etc. (which I thought was clear enough) is that they were there precisely at the time when all of humanity except the inhabitants of the Ark were supposedly wiped out by a worldwide flood, according to a literal reading of the OT and the genealogies therein. We have compelling reasons to believe in the existence of these ancient peoples and not one shred of good evidence for a worldwide flood. Not one, despite the insane ramblings and distorted reasoning of the folks at AIG and other groups committed to salvaging a literal reading of the Bible at all costs -- the foremost costs being their rationality and simple honesty.

There is controversy about the dating of these civilizations, not only between secular scientist and creation scientist, but also between secular scientist, or archaeologist if you prefer.

GC
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.

Messages In This Thread
Dear Christians: What does your god actually do? - by Aractus - September 22, 2015 at 8:23 pm
RE: Dear Christians: What does your god actually do? - by StuW - September 24, 2015 at 3:03 am
RE: Dear Christians: What does your god actually do? - by Godschild - September 25, 2015 at 5:21 pm
RE: Dear Christians: What does your god actually do? - by StuW - September 25, 2015 at 1:11 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dear God, please soften their hearts... zwanzig 12 1050 August 6, 2023 at 3:31 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  [Serious] For former Christians only, why did you leave your faith? Jehanne 159 13583 January 16, 2023 at 7:36 am
Last Post: h4ym4n
  Why does god put the needs of the few above the need of the many? Greatest I am 69 5352 February 19, 2021 at 10:30 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
Question [Serious] Christians what would change your mind? Xaventis 154 9519 August 20, 2020 at 7:11 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Who the Hell does God think he is?? Drich 13 1708 March 6, 2020 at 12:15 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Christians vs Christians (yec) Fake Messiah 52 7934 January 31, 2019 at 2:08 pm
  Christians: What line are you unwilling to cross for God? Cecelia 96 10678 September 5, 2018 at 6:19 pm
  No Shitball, It Does Not Violate Your Rights Minimalist 10 2215 April 22, 2018 at 4:57 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Christians: Why does the answer have to be god? IanHulett 67 15211 April 5, 2018 at 3:33 pm
  Christians: Does Your God Have Testicles and Ovaries? chimp3 97 18815 April 1, 2018 at 1:37 am
Last Post: GrandizerII