Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 30, 2024, 2:23 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Most personally convincing reasons you don't believe.
RE: Most personally convincing reasons you don't believe.
(May 12, 2016 at 10:28 am)Emjay Wrote: [quote='Drich' pid='1272993' dateline='1463056040']

...And if nothing/no one in the bible never claimed to be infallible? The closest thing we have is "All Scripture is ·inspired by God [breathed out by God; L God-breathed] and is useful for teaching, for ·showing people what is wrong in their lives [refuting error; rebuking], for correcting faults, and for ·teaching how to live right [training in righteousness]." from 1 Tim 3:16

The idea of biblical infallibility was to counter the authority of Papal Infallibility in the reformation movement. Meaning it is a foolish doctrine of man, and not a decree from God.

I say that because Paul seems to understand that the bible does not have to be perfect as 'prefection' is not required from us. We have been given the bible not as a item to worship or revere as holy, but as a tool so that we may seek the Holy Spirit/God which is perfect, and to use as a standard to 'proof' that what we sought and found was indeed the Holy Spirit.

People who 'need' the bible to be infallible do not understand what Basic Christianity is. Nor how it was intended to be established or maintained.
Quote:Well at least one Christian admits it's fallible.
I didn't say it was fallible. I have been studying for 20+ years and yet to find a critical error or contradiction.
I simply relayed the bible does not claim infallibility, and I told you where the mythos of infallibility came from.

Quote:But a fallible Bible could never be enough for me...
That's the point!!! The bible Fallible or not is not supposed to be enough. This isn't some man made religious nonsense. The bible is the key to give you direct access to God. It is also the tool we use to verify it is God who we are speaking with.

For instance in my first encounter I was judged and sent to Hell. Long before I knew the specifics of what the bible said about judgement, Hell, or the nature of any of it. My understanding was based on the Roman catholic model of St.Peter standing at the gates, levels of a hell where Satan ruled. Everything as far as i knew of the Judgement and Hell was completely Wrong. Yet slowly and over very long periods of study I have found my experience to reflect exactly what the bible says about our judgement. Again the bible was the tool I use to vet my experience. It was also the tool I used to Find God. It is not the center of my experience of God.

Quote:if I'd known that when I was growing up I might not have been a Christian at all, who knows. If I'm gonna believe in a supernatural deity I need to be damn sure I know when I'm talking to him and hearing from him but with a fallible Bible that's impossible.
But again, fallibility by what measure? What how can you determine something fallible if in fact you can not vet the claims being made?

Only God can verify the claims and full fill the promises in the bible. Therefore 'infallibility' is to be sought in and through God, not the directions used to find Him. If your looking for the 'perfect' set of direction, you haved missed the whole point of the bible to begin with, as you will not know if you found them unless you are where you want to be (with God)

Quote:All it can be in that case is what I think/feel to be inspired in it... but that's how you've got a million different flavors of Christianity...
Actually no. We have "a million different flavors" because God wanted it that way. We have been given only 2 Great commands to follow, with the freedom to allow those two commands to manifest anyway we need them to in order to follow them. Even in the first century church there was freedom to be different. Why else do you think we have a book or letter to the Romans which was different than the letter to the corinthians which again is complete different than the letter to the Galatians or the Ephesians? Why would God speak to individual congregations allowing them to manifest beliefs and establish traditions around their very different cultures, rather than send one set of rules as he did with the Jews?

Our diversity is our greatest strength, even if most of us do not understand it.

Quote:each one thinking it knows the inspired part. Can you at least acknowledge that problem?
No because again Paul points to the church as being like the physical Body of Christ. Each one of us has a different role, function, as a member of the body. and we are shaped and tailored for our intended use. Which makes us all a little different. So for a congregation of "hands" they will seek out 'work' that hands do, and for them this is what the whole word of God is about. For a congregation of 'eyes' they will seek out work that eyes do, and so on.

Now if the whole body of believers were hands or eyes then yes all that is needed is one church one doctrine. However as it has been explained to us in several places in scripture, we are all different and our roles in the body of believers are different, and therefore it is not a hand's or an eye's place to judge how a 'foot' or ear serves the body.
Quote: Maybe we can agree to disagree on the value of A/S/K but being very interested in psychology and neuroscience I personally can't ignore that it is perfect example of confirmation bias.
It depends on what you find. I found information I was never exposed to and had to fight my way to the truth over years and years of empty traditional teaching to what the bible actually says.

If God upon you A/S/K-ing send someone to stand in front of you if for only a few mins and confirm who you are, who He is and your roll in how all of "this" works... How would that confirm a bias, especially if it has you change what you think is true?

Quote: So it may be enough to convince you but it could never be enough to convince me...
That is the wonderful thing about God. He does not paint with broad brush strokes. He tailor fits experiences to individuals. Look at doubting Thomas. Thomas said he could not believe unless he could put his fingers into the holes the nails and spear left. What did God do? He commended those who have sheer strength of faith to believe and sustain their belief, but did he punish Thomas or demand that he just poop the faith needed to first believe? No, He told Thomas to 'meet Him half way' to be in an upper room of a house in the middle of a city where they were being hunted and he was there. Then Jesus did what Thomas needed to establish and maintain his belief to a martyrs Death!

That is What A/S/K does It is God's command that we meet Him 1/2 way. to Humble ourselves enough to earnestly seek out the truth whatever it takes. Why? because the harder your heart the longer the journey. God has to take you to a place to where all else/possible answers or doubt is stripped away, so that you nothing but God could have given you whatever it you received.

What would be the point of giving you what he gave me if you never took the 20 years (A/S/K) i took to vet out all the details of Hell? What would you have after that experience? some new sheets? A/S/K is a continuing way of life. the more/longer you are faith to Him the more you will be given.

Quote: no judgement there, just personally it could never convince me because of what I know about psychology... and psychology is my life. I've seen it in action too many times to ever trust it... particularly playing mafia... how you can believe to the core of your being that you're right when you're completely wrong. Maybe you should have a game some time, see for yourself what I'm talking about? You'd be perfectly welcome down there - it's one place on the forum where religion doesn't come into it in the slightest... plenty of theists play and we all get on like a house on fire.
I'd love to play but time is something I find myself running out of alot more lately. Maybe when things slow down in the winter months remind me again.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Most personally convincing reasons you don't believe. - by Drich - May 12, 2016 at 11:23 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What do you believe in that hasnt been proven to exist? goombah111 197 24150 March 5, 2021 at 6:47 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  If there is a God(s) it/they clearly don't want us to believe in them, no? Duty 12 1421 April 5, 2020 at 8:36 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Why you all need others, to believe? LastPoet 24 3866 December 26, 2019 at 10:09 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Ways to Get Into Heaven! Or Whatever You Believe in! Jade-Green Stone 14 2559 January 24, 2019 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: deanabiepepler
  List of reasons to believe God exists? henryp 428 85264 January 21, 2018 at 2:56 am
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Look i don't really care if you believe or don't believe Ronia 20 7915 August 25, 2017 at 4:28 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  People assuming you believe in a God Der/die AtheistIn 35 10231 July 19, 2017 at 10:24 am
Last Post: Astonished
  Don't you just love the hypocrisy of religion. ignoramus 86 22278 July 16, 2017 at 7:04 am
Last Post: Der/die AtheistIn
  Theists: What is the most compelling argument you have heard for Atheism? PETE_ROSE 455 101631 April 5, 2017 at 12:34 pm
Last Post: RoadRunner79
  Atheists, what are the most convincing theist arguments you heard of? SuperSentient 169 22481 April 1, 2017 at 9:43 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic