Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 30, 2024, 7:11 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Most personally convincing reasons you don't believe.
RE: Most personally convincing reasons you don't believe.
(May 23, 2016 at 12:09 pm)Drich Wrote:
(May 23, 2016 at 8:53 am)Stimbo Wrote: It's not down to any person to decide what counts as valid evidence, it's conditional and proportionate to the claim being made. Does your evidence actually evidence your claim? Would it convince you if another person offered it to you blindly, at face value? Would you require additional information to make a critical assessment? Or would you merely swallow it wholecloth?

That's the thing though.. My evidence (experiences) do indeed support what is claimed by scripture. (and then some.) Yet, it is discounted or rather most of your personally decide to discount the evidence provided. Some call me a liar, other tell me I am suffering from confirmation bias, Others say I'm crazy.

Your interpretation of Genesis 2 is enough to land you firmly in crackpot territory.

(May 23, 2016 at 12:09 pm)Drich Wrote: Now again, you ask would my 'experiences' act or is supposed to act as evidence for anyone else? a 1000 times no. My experiences were for me and me alone. They were only meant to for me to use to establish and maintian my system of belief. But, again here's the thing. God offers this same process to everyone who needs it.

And yet you parade your 'experiences' before us as evidence that A/S/K works. So this is a lie, you do use it as evidence. You don't know what God does or does not offer to others. You have a belief based on some passages in a book and your own experience. So don't say you don't use your experiences as evidence because you absolutely do.

(May 23, 2016 at 12:09 pm)Drich Wrote: I have pointed to the account of doubting Thomas many times in this thread to support the idea that God offers individual attention to those who require it if they just A/S/K for it. Thomas did not get to witness Jesus as the other 10 did, as a result he said he would not believe till he touched the wounds of Christ so He could know for Himself. So what does God do? Does He tell Thomas his faith is not strong enough? No the only thing Required of Thomas was to be in that upper room. And Jesus let Thomas experience what He needed to establish and maintain a system of belief that lead to a horrible death on His behalf, as Thomas knew Christ was really God, and all that He said was true.

You can read the mind of Jesus? It's just a story, and now we have your interpretation to add to the thousands that have come before. You don't know why Jesus offered Thomas physical proof. Maybe it didn't happen and was just a story told so that the author could put an admonishment against not having faith into Jesus' mouth. You don't know any more than I do.

(May 23, 2016 at 12:09 pm)Drich Wrote: What better 'proof' of God is there than you being placed before God?

Sure, and when the promise is shown to be empty, you'll be there to blame the disappointed. You're a true Christian.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Most personally convincing reasons you don't believe. - by Angrboda - May 23, 2016 at 1:43 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What do you believe in that hasnt been proven to exist? goombah111 197 24113 March 5, 2021 at 6:47 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  If there is a God(s) it/they clearly don't want us to believe in them, no? Duty 12 1421 April 5, 2020 at 8:36 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Why you all need others, to believe? LastPoet 24 3863 December 26, 2019 at 10:09 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Ways to Get Into Heaven! Or Whatever You Believe in! Jade-Green Stone 14 2559 January 24, 2019 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: deanabiepepler
  List of reasons to believe God exists? henryp 428 85253 January 21, 2018 at 2:56 am
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Look i don't really care if you believe or don't believe Ronia 20 7912 August 25, 2017 at 4:28 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  People assuming you believe in a God Der/die AtheistIn 35 10226 July 19, 2017 at 10:24 am
Last Post: Astonished
  Don't you just love the hypocrisy of religion. ignoramus 86 22271 July 16, 2017 at 7:04 am
Last Post: Der/die AtheistIn
  Theists: What is the most compelling argument you have heard for Atheism? PETE_ROSE 455 101623 April 5, 2017 at 12:34 pm
Last Post: RoadRunner79
  Atheists, what are the most convincing theist arguments you heard of? SuperSentient 169 22480 April 1, 2017 at 9:43 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic