Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 13, 2024, 12:34 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shouldn't Atheists learn to accept religion?
RE: Shouldn't Atheists learn to accept religion?
(June 15, 2016 at 6:00 pm)BlueGirl Wrote: I'm not trying to upset anyone here. This is my personal opinion and I just want to know if anyone agrees with me. I see so much hate flying around on the internet from both atheists and religious people and I really don't think any of it is nessesary.

I don't know what atheism is to you, but for me it's just a simple view: I don't believe in God. I get very annoyed when religious people try to convert me back to faith (I have one very devout family member who really irritates me) and I think that needs to stop. There's nothing wrong with not believing.

But I also don't have a problem with faith.

It really surprised me to see that atheists on the internet seem to have very little respect for religion. I understand that perspective- there really is no sense of logic to it, it's seems silly, and it can be dangerous. But I also think that in moderate amounts it can be a very good thing. Some people (most people) are comforted by faith in a god, and I really think it's something many people need in their lives to feel whole. I think that's probably why they so often don't understand how atheists can go without a God. Religion isn't required by all people to feel happy, but for some people it definitely is. I don't feel that this is a failure on the part of those people, but apparently many other athiests do.

I think religious faith can contribute a lot to a persons life. Not every persons life -I certainly dont' want it- but why else would it have persisted so long if it didn't mean something? Tolerance of differing beliefs isn't just for athiests. I think it's important that we remember that all beliefs should be respected, even if they seem ludicrous to us.

So what do you guys think?
I agree with pretty much all of this. I am not a fan of the idea that the religion of other people has a profound effect on my life, though. I resent the shit out of that.
If The Flintstones have taught us anything, it's that pelicans can be used to mix cement.

-Homer Simpson

Messages In This Thread
RE: Shouldn't Atheists learn to accept religion? - by Mermaid - June 16, 2016 at 7:13 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Here’s Why You SHOULDN’T Believe In God BrianSoddingBoru4 46 4204 April 5, 2020 at 8:03 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  World War I, religion died in the 20th century, science triumphed in religion in the Interaktive 35 4388 December 24, 2019 at 10:50 am
Last Post: Interaktive
  I enjoy far right atheists more than lgbt marxist atheists Sopra 4 2222 February 28, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  I'd like to ask my fellow atheists if they would be happy to learn there was a god. Whateverist 88 16546 September 4, 2017 at 1:27 am
Last Post: Astonished
  Atheists: Can You Still Accept X'n Friends? Detachable 76 11083 August 12, 2016 at 10:06 am
Last Post: Jesster
  Always something new to learn Foxaèr 26 3965 July 10, 2016 at 11:55 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Do humans always accept proofs when presented to them? Mystic 59 13068 January 2, 2016 at 6:08 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  13 arguments atheists shouldn't use Dystopia 26 5501 February 3, 2015 at 8:01 pm
Last Post: Regina
  Atheists who preach religion and theists who preach atheism Matt Gabe 8 3818 December 25, 2014 at 4:55 am
Last Post: Lucanus
  Popular arguments you think Atheists shouldn't use Dolorian 43 6606 September 11, 2014 at 3:53 pm
Last Post: RobbyPants