Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 20, 2024, 5:20 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hypothetically, science proves free will isn't real
RE: Hypothetically, science proves free will isn't real
(July 5, 2016 at 3:18 pm)Alasdair Ham Wrote: A choice can be free in the compatabilist sense. Meaning the sense of free choice that no one denies we have anyway. The trivially true fact that some actions are voluntary and some are involuntary, that there's a difference between a choice with a gun to your head and a choice without a gun to your head. That definition of free choice no one denies and is trivially true. Trivial not because it's insignificant, but because it's extremely undeniably obvious.

That's how comptabilists dodge the real question. Whether a choice can be free in the sense of us being able to do otherwise -- In the sense of being able to determine our path, not by rules of determinism... is a logically incoherent concept because determinism implies a regress that prevents us from doing that, and indeterminism denies any kind of being able to determine our path at all.

So a choice an be free in the compatabilist soft deterministic sense. I'm a hard determinist because I think compatabilsit dodges the question.

Actually, to be more accurate I am a hard incompatabilist: although I believe in determinism as cause and effect and a determinined uinvierse makes sense to me... I consider free will of the incompatabilist sense impossible in an indeterministic universe too, for reasons described above. I'm not a soft determinist or compatabilist because I don't identify as someone who espouses for a trivially true definition of free will or free choice.

Defining the ideas relative to compatibilism or (in)determinism is over my head. Any chance you'd care to finish these sentences (or equivalent) for me:

A choice is...

A choice is a free choice if...

Thanks in advance.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Hypothetically, science proves free will isn't real - by Ignorant - July 5, 2016 at 3:33 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Isn’t pantheism the same thing as atheism? Ferrocyanide 177 10971 January 1, 2022 at 2:36 am
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
Thumbs Down 11-Year-Old Genius Proves Hawking Wrong About God Fake Messiah 7 1174 April 16, 2019 at 8:13 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  Quantum Physics Proves God’s Existence blue grey brain 15 1955 January 2, 2019 at 11:08 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Popcorn Proves Poppy the Pop Corn God. The Valkyrie 67 10637 May 16, 2018 at 5:04 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Being Catholic isn't an ethnic thing. Joods 0 806 March 12, 2018 at 8:36 am
Last Post: Joods
  Isn't it funny... pabsta 189 56809 August 21, 2017 at 12:11 am
Last Post: Astonished
  The false self and our knowledge of it's deception proves God. Mystic 89 12500 April 14, 2017 at 1:41 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
Wink The Attraction System In MEN & WOMEN Proves God Exists!!! Edward John 69 13621 December 12, 2016 at 8:34 pm
Last Post: GUBU
Question Even an atheist can say "the laws came from above", isn't it? theBorg 52 9171 October 3, 2016 at 9:02 am
Last Post: I_am_not_mafia
  If free will was not real Foxaèr 508 42262 August 22, 2016 at 2:38 am
Last Post: Gemini