Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 14, 2024, 8:26 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Is It Possible for Humanity to Create a Peaceful World with Religion in it?
RE: Is It Possible for Humanity to Create a Peaceful World with Religion in it?
(November 9, 2016 at 12:07 pm)Kernel Sohcahtoa Wrote: I have observed that plenty of people can manage conflict quite well on an individual level however, when conflicts approach the group/global level, constructive conflict management is not as common.  I'm curious to know why this is, and if possible, what we can do about it. As things approach a broader, global scale, is destructive conflict management more like a natural law that we ultimately have no control over; or, is this destructive conflict management solely dictated by our mindset and choices?
I don't think that the way we manage conflict changes as the number of people involved increases, I do think that the complexity of the situation..and thus the practical reality of what solutions are available and will be effective changes with scale.  We mediate at the group/global level on a near constant basis...that's all diplomacy is, and we do that when we can and when it will be effective (and sometimes we do it when it wont).  

I don't think it's scale of conflict, in and of itself, that makes things more destructive and pernicious...but type.  Perhaps constructive conflict management is not as common as the scale of a problem increases because the scale of a problem is directly related to it's type (an easier problem is more likely to go away before it reaches point where millions are involved)...and the type determines what conflict management strategies most effectively address the problem at hand.

We may not appreciate the ideology of hitting someone over the head with a brick...for access to water, for example, but we have to respect it's effectiveness and that brick throwers -need- for that access. You can work that all the way up from 1 guy with 1 brick to 100k with assualt rifles, and all the way back down again. Wink

Quote:It appears that I presented mediation poorly here.  Many parties who voluntarily want to participate in mediation are usually entrenched in their positions and see the other party as the source of the problem; they are usually far from peaceful and understanding toward the other. As a result, mediation is specifically designed to help conflicting parties, especially those who are managing their conflict poorly/destructively, resolve their differences. 
All well and good.....but poorly and destructively are not remotely synonymous in any practical sense.  They are ideological synonyms, or ideological peripherals... and I do not share that ideology.  That's probably a good portion, though clearly not all, of our disconnect on this issue.  

Quote:The success of mediation ultimately depends on the parties; if they don't want to participate in the process, then mediation will not be effective.  In addition, if mediation is imposed onto people ( court-based mediation is one example of this), then the mediator might become more of a settler/fixer than a neutral intermediary; thus, the resolution of the conflict could end up belonging to the mediator, which could result in the parties agreeing to an incomplete, short-term resolution in order to get out of the mediation and look good in front of the mediator.  Hence, if the resolution does not belong to the parties, then they will ultimately find holes in it and create new ways to resume their conflict in the future. 
I can only say that this sounds like a relatively peaceful sort of conflict you have in mind, juxtaposed against the sorts of conflicts -I- think would need to be resolved to make the world more peaceful in any meaningful sense.  

Quote:Overall, IMO, conflict is dynamic. Therefore, in order to effectively resolve it, people need to be educated in and practice many constructive conflict resolution techniques; they cannot rely on any individual approach.

During my studies, I came across school programs (after school conflict resolution clubs)  aimed at teaching youth constructive conflict resolution methods, such as those discussed in this thread (and the peacemaking thread too) along with teaching them how to effectively negotiate and mediate.    Do you think this is a good idea?
Sure, why not?  We do it at every level of our lives anyway...from the time we're children appealing to our parents to the time we're spouses appealing to friends and counselors, to the time we're diplomats appealing to a trusted third party within or outside of a political alliance.  May as well learn the theory and specifics. I'm sure we'd all learn a useful thing or three. Having programs like that (and ofc collegiate areas of study like that) certainly seems better than hoping that luck will grant us with enough people with the natural talents for either to handle all the jobs we already have for them in both of those tasks.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Is It Possible for Humanity to Create a Peaceful World with Religion in it? - by The Grand Nudger - November 9, 2016 at 12:42 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] Moral Obligations toward Possible Worlds Neo-Scholastic 93 5912 May 23, 2021 at 1:43 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  A timeless being cannot create mcc1789 125 12066 August 29, 2019 at 1:01 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Is a higher level of thought possible? Macoleco 8 970 June 10, 2019 at 2:01 pm
Last Post: no one
  Is it possible for a person to be morally neutral? Der/die AtheistIn 10 2062 October 15, 2017 at 7:14 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Is Humanity Ready for First Contact? Kernel Sohcahtoa 69 5670 October 16, 2016 at 6:17 am
Last Post: Athene
  If a supernatural intelligence did create the universe..... maestroanth 12 2094 April 20, 2016 at 8:36 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Secular Humanism and Humanity: What are they? Ignorant 80 23554 March 22, 2015 at 6:45 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Possible Worlds and Causal Closure Neo-Scholastic 2 900 March 28, 2014 at 12:59 pm
Last Post: Alex K
  Who create God? Little Rik 95 21656 December 12, 2013 at 5:19 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Possible is not necessarily possible. Mystic 13 3482 August 22, 2013 at 9:37 am
Last Post: MindForgedManacle