Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 1:35 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is the statement "Claims demand evidence" always true?
RE: Is the statement "Claims demand evidence" always true?
Hey guys. I'm going to have another break from the thread to get my head down a bit more on my course. Everything I cover is fascinating like I watched a little taster youtube video about epistemology, comparing Empiricists Locke (Tabula Rasa - blank slate) and Hume, Rationalist Descartes (concepts not requiring experience... such as maths etc), and neither empiricist nor rationalist, Kant and gotta say that based on first impressions, I totally identify with Kant's position (though the others make good points too... they just neither represent the whole picture imo)... Kant arguing for certain innate concepts such as causality. I couldn't agree more because specifics aside, there are two principle things any NN does... or indeed even just a single neuron connected up to many inputs let alone millions of them chained together... just by virtue of their structure; extract patterns and associate coincidences... and that's all that's needed to represent causality. So specific nervous system evolutions aside (different species etc) imo all brains have that innate bias of being causality detectors just by virtue of using neurons. So as it stands I'm looking forward to reading more of what Kant has to say.

Anyway, you guys seems to be having fun talking inexplicable (to me) quantum shit Wink So I'll leave you to it and catch up with you sometime down the line... laters Smile

Messages In This Thread
RE: Is the statement "Claims demand evidence" always true? - by emjay - January 21, 2017 at 5:25 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Greek philosophers always knew about the causeless universe Interaktive 10 1319 September 25, 2022 at 2:28 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Why is murder wrong if Many Worlds Interpretation of Quantum Mechanics is true? FlatAssembler 52 3944 August 7, 2022 at 8:51 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  How To Tell What Is True From What Is Untrue. redpill 39 3676 December 28, 2019 at 4:45 pm
Last Post: Sal
  Is this Quite by Kenneth Boulding True Rhondazvous 11 1550 August 6, 2019 at 11:55 am
Last Post: Alan V
Video Neurosurgeon Provides Evidence Against Materialism Guard of Guardians 41 4338 June 17, 2019 at 10:40 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  The Philosophy of Mind: Zombies, "radical emergence" and evidence of non-experiential Edwardo Piet 82 12074 April 29, 2018 at 1:57 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Testimony is Evidence RoadRunner79 588 117135 September 13, 2017 at 8:17 pm
Last Post: Astonished
Video Do we live in a universe where theism is likely true? (video) Angrboda 36 11434 May 28, 2017 at 1:53 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Is it true that there is no absolute morality? WisdomOfTheTrees 259 25739 March 23, 2017 at 6:12 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Anecdotal Evidence RoadRunner79 395 52831 December 14, 2016 at 2:53 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb