Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 21, 2024, 6:51 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is your favourite positive argument for atheism/unbelief?
RE: What is your favourite positive argument for atheism/unbelief?
(April 20, 2017 at 12:17 pm)Little Rik Wrote:
(April 20, 2017 at 10:37 am)Brian37 Wrote: Said the hypocrite unwilling to decapitate himself to prove his consciousness is separate from his brain. I am glad you are a hypocrite because I think you'd kill yourself needlessly. Seriously, don't kill yourself to prove a point, because it is a losing argument.

To kill oneself is like to reject someone gift.
Considering that the gift come from someone very very powerful that would involve a lot of trouble.
Why would I be so stupid to upset that powerful entity and at the same time cause a lot of physical pain to myself.
I guess you never thought about that Brian, did you?  Bird

Quote:Your fictional "forever" is an evolutionary false perception that our species make up which is really a mental delusion reflecting the human evolutionary drive to continue.

I leave these intellectual thoughts with you.
They mean nothing anyway.  Wink

(April 20, 2017 at 11:27 am)Jörmungandr Wrote: ROFLOL

You're such an idiot.  These people suffer clinical death, the cessation of blood flow and breathing, but not brain death -- the death of the cells of the brain.  There is no resurrection from brain death.  So no, it's named correctly as NEAR death experience.

What in fuckall does that have to do with whether OBEs are hallucinatory or not.  Didn't have an answer, eh?

Regardless, you're the one saying that it's not possible.  That's your claim and your burden of proof.  So far you've got squat and plenty of counter-evidence in the form of G-LOC and ketamine and anoxia.

"When you have a malfunction in the brain you can not build up a clear, sharp and vivid experience." Little Rik, 4/19/17, "What is logic?"

We've been through this and you didn't have any evidence for it before either.  Picking up on one word and trying to make a feast of it is a chump move, especially when you don't have any evidence.   But look! "Ketamine administered by intravenous injection is capable of reproducing all of the features of the NDE which have been commonly described."  In other words, it's the same.  And your garbage about natural versus unnatural is just that. The question is not whether drugs are bad but whether "clear, sharp and vivid" hallucinations can be duplicated experimentally, and they can.  If a chemical soup in the brain can produce clear, vivid and sharp hallucinations experimentally, then it can also do so naturally.  Your natural versus unnatural complaint is beside the point.  (And you're also shifting the goalposts; it wasn't a question of whether the experiences were THE SAME as in an NDE, but whether a 'malfunctioning' brain can produce clear, sharp, and vivid experiences.  It can.  You failed doubly.)

You are a total idiot Yog.  Banging Head On Desk

The experiences can not possibly be the same.
When you administer drugs the brain is still alive and the consciousness is still inside the brain.
With NDEs is a different story because the consciousness has already separate from the body-brain.
The fact that you will feel bliss even with drugs is because drugs have an effect on the pineal glad and the consciousness within.

On the other hand when the consciousness has separate from the body-brain she is 100% free therefore
the experience can not be compared to when the consciousness is not 100% free.
Have you ever ask yourself why prisoners try to escape from the jail?

I guess you never thought about that Yog, did you?  Bird

Human life is not a "gift" it is a life. A "gift" is an object. I don't see myself as an object. So a poor African kid whom will die before the age of 5 from starvation in a war torn country is a "gift"? That kind of hell is a "gift" to you? The Syrian kids whom got killed by a gas bomb, that's ok because God gave them life just so they could die a horrible painful death way before they even became adults, you think that is a "gift"? Childhood cancer is a "gift"? 

Silly me, I must have it all wrong, I grew up thinking a "gift" was an object you gave on birthdays and holidays. If you want to use the word "gift" regarding human life, fine, then get me Angelina Jolie and put her under my Christmas Tree, I am sure she wont scoff at that suggestion, I am sure she will say, "Oh what the hell, Brian wants me, I was born a gift so ok, Brian can have me because I am a gift".

I really find it sad to see theists objectify their own lives as if they were mere toys for an invisible man to play with or pass out like a "gift".

Messages In This Thread
RE: What is your favourite positive argument for atheism/unbelief? - by Brian37 - April 20, 2017 at 5:43 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Does your atheism come as a package? FrustratedFool 75 5571 October 7, 2023 at 1:50 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  My Almighty VS your argument against it Won2blv 43 3942 May 5, 2022 at 9:13 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
Star A positive identity for atheists - Crusading Faithful Atheism Duty 95 6599 February 27, 2022 at 1:41 am
Last Post: Duty
  Sharing your atheism james hart 15 1874 April 24, 2020 at 5:25 am
Last Post: Rahn127
  My argument for atheism + Tom Fearnley 166 20065 April 20, 2020 at 9:10 pm
Last Post: Agnostico
  Best argument for Atheism in my view Kimoev 29 4234 September 5, 2019 at 10:37 am
Last Post: Vince
  Informing aging relatives of your Atheism Bahana 7 1296 October 7, 2018 at 8:49 am
Last Post: Bahana
  What is your problem with Atheism? ignoramus 113 23580 June 3, 2018 at 8:01 pm
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27420 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Poll: What is your Specific Level of Atheism? camlov2019 68 8584 January 27, 2017 at 7:16 pm
Last Post: flagbears