Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 30, 2024, 6:01 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Believing in Deities is a Form of Psychosis
RE: Believing in Deities is a Form of Psychosis
(August 1, 2017 at 12:20 pm)CeruleanNight Wrote: It is to my belief, and observation, that having actual faith in any sort of deity from religious texts or folklore is a form of psychosis. 

What is psychosis? For those who don't know, psychosis is defined as a severe mental illness where in someone has lost touch with external reality. In other words, they believe in things that simply aren't real. And applying the facts to the topic of religion, with our current era's knowledge: it is indeed a FORM of psychosis. 

Now before you lose yourself, I'd like to state something. Religion, is barely often truly believed in. I tried to be a Christian once, and no matter how much I tried I could not believe in something that was utterly nonexistent and lose my touch with reality. 

People who do choose to be truly faithful and believe in such deities, are by, factual terms in a state of psychosis. With our current worldly knowledge, the facts stand true: gods and deities are not real. The facts are what we must go by in this debate, beliefs and faith, is by psychosis alone. While being mentally ill with psychosis has different effects, there have been many studies to show that religion in general is psychologically damaging.

Furthermore, many people in our history have believed in deities, so were all of them affected by psychosis? Firstly, I'd like to re-define the meaning behind a mental disorder. A mental disorder is simply a classification for a grouping of conditions to make understanding HUMAN ABNORMALITIES better. In it's primitive state, mental disorders are obsolete. There is no BIOLOGICAL condition, but rather an abnormality of the mind, at least I think. So technically they weren't 'ill', but just mentally abnormal in OUR PERSPECTIVE TIME. However then again psychosis of this form could've been perfectly normal at that time.

Then there are people who are like me, who tried their hardest to believe but couldn't due to the facts. With these people, I think they were merely pretending with religion in order to avoid persecution and whatnot. So with all of that stated, what are you thoughts?

I can agree that it is undoubtedly a form of psychosis to some extent but then you would have to prove if somebody is believing in something for good or bad reasons. For example I can be a deists and make only a vague description of a god and it is entirely removed from everyday life. I am only focusing on the teleological argument and exiting the realm of evidence. If this becomes psychosis than every argument involving presumptions is psychosis including most secular opinions on politics and morals thus making everybody on this forum a nutjob. 

Most religious people feel this way which is why they hate bringing it up in public since they don't wish to defend their beliefs. I never felt like this when I was a Muslim though because I felt confident in my beliefs and truly believed them, although not for long. 

Quote:Some questions to think on;
  • Is it ethical to consider truly religious people mentally ill with psychosis?
  • Should religion be eliminated from society to prevent psychological damage?
  • Do you know anyone who went insane over God?
  • Any more comments?

It is not ethical, and religion should not be eliminated. Nobody has any right to eliminate religion from society and even for people like me who strongly disapprove of theism, I cannot find a single reason why anybody would have such a desire. Religion is a proper and humane part of society but it does not imply that supernaturalism and theistic beliefs must make up that religion. Religion as a word is very bloated and is nonsensical when entailing what it means and does not mean. This is why you hear immature atheists screaming over religion when they have no idea what it did to society and how it molded the very lives they enjoy. Religion built empires and atheism built moronic armchair warriors. Atheism has no ideology and nothing to say about anything except that somebody lacks theistic beliefs, so why on earth would somebody settle on atheism without anything else in their life? Why not employ philosophical practices into your life and develop your own religion of ritual, morals and community. 

As for people who went insane over gods, yes I know of a teacher who has and she was my sister.
Ut supra, ita inferius
[Image: 0c112e9da4d42c24a073c335a3e38de1_zpsezmp...g~original]
Uƚ ƨuqɿɒ, iƚɒ inʇɘɿiuƨ

Messages In This Thread
RE: Believing in Deities is a Form of Psychosis - by Lek - August 1, 2017 at 6:20 pm
RE: Believing in Deities is a Form of Psychosis - by ComradeMeow - August 4, 2017 at 1:36 pm
RE: Believing in Deities is a Form of Psychosis - by drfuzzy - August 13, 2017 at 12:44 pm
RE: Believing in Deities is a Form of Psychosis - by drfuzzy - August 10, 2017 at 10:56 am
RE: Believing in Deities is a Form of Psychosis - by drfuzzy - August 11, 2017 at 10:05 am
RE: Believing in Deities is a Form of Psychosis - by drfuzzy - August 11, 2017 at 12:58 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What is the best counter argument against "What do you lose by believing?" Macoleco 25 1906 May 1, 2021 at 8:05 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Evidence for Believing Lek 368 50600 November 14, 2019 at 5:39 pm
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Scientists discover new form of matter in 2017. (The end of human suffering?) %mindless_detector% 17 5218 January 29, 2017 at 11:16 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Trick Yourself Into Believing In God LivingNumbers6.626 10 2487 July 21, 2016 at 4:45 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  why are people believing in god again?? Rextos 8 2370 January 12, 2016 at 8:01 pm
Last Post: TrueChristian
  Psychosis - another reason to be anti-theist watchamadoodle 34 12559 May 9, 2015 at 5:40 am
Last Post: robvalue
  "Love is believing in someone. " Mudhammam 15 4319 December 7, 2014 at 5:35 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Atheism is a form of religion... Mudhammam 35 8341 October 20, 2014 at 2:43 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  What is your strongest reason for believing atheism is true? ShinobiAtheist 87 30404 June 19, 2014 at 8:44 am
Last Post: LastPoet
  Atheism is a form of Autism! Mystical 21 7298 October 9, 2013 at 12:32 pm
Last Post: Angrboda