Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 7:15 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which denominations have you spotted on this forum?
RE: Which denominations have you spotted on this forum?
(August 17, 2017 at 1:12 pm)Khemikal Wrote:
(August 17, 2017 at 12:05 pm)Drich Wrote: "FALSE TEACHERS FORBID MARRIAGE "is the crux of the highlighted passage in 2 tim.

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/09056a.htm is an explanation of where your ecclesiastical law comes from.

By the parameters Paul left to timothy that group highlighted can be considered as a false teacher because of their views on marriage.
............?

I'm not sure you understood my response there........

Firstly, catholics do not forbid marriage - they greatly advocate for it..and babies...lots and lots of babies.  The reason that this prohibition was put in place was that a great many priests were using their position to enrich or enhance their children's lives and affairs.  This, I hope, to anyone's mind, is a misuse of such a position.  Partly in order to combat that..the church decided to set up their rules such that there was no opportunity for that grift.  It's not part of their doctrine...they don't think that a preist -has- to be unmarried and celibate for any divine reason - it's a practical concern over good stewardship of the institution.  They can change that rule at any time.  

It's akin to the "Don't bring your fucking gun to church" rule.  They're not "forbidding guns"...just strongly suggesting that the cathedral probably isn't the place to show off your shiny new pistol, for the same reasons that priests with baby daddy problems aren't going to be on their a-game.  It, caused, problems.....lol.
Getting lazy in my old age:
So let's start here:
Theologically, the Church desires to imitate the life of Jesus with regard to chastity and the sacrifice of married life for the "sake of the Kingdom" (Luke 18:28-30, Matthew 19:27-30; Mark 10:20-21), and to follow the example of Jesus Christ in being "married" to the Church, viewed by Catholicism and many Christian traditions as the "Bride of Christ". Also of import are the teachings of St. Paul that chastity is the superior state of life, and his desire expressed in I Corinthians 7:7-8, "I would that all men were even as myself [celibate] — but every one has his proper gift from God; one after this manner, and another after that. But I say to the unmarried and the widows. It is good for them if they so continue, even as I."

Practically speaking, the reasons for celibacy are given by the Apostle Paul in I Corinthians 7:7-8;32-35: "But I would have you to be without solicitude. He that is without a wife is solicitous for the things that belong to the Lord, how he may please God. But he that is with a wife, is solicitous for the things of the world, how he may please his wife: and he is divided. And the unmarried woman and the virgin thinketh on the things of the Lord, that she may be holy both in body and spirit. But she that is married thinketh on the things of this world how she may please her husband. And this I speak for your profit, not to cast a snare upon you, but for that which is decent and which may give you power to attend upon the Lord without impediment."

Celibacy for priests is a discipline in the Roman Catholic Church, not a doctrine: in other words, a church regulation, but not an integral part of Church teaching. It is based upon the life of Christ and his celibate way of life. However the first pope, St. Peter, as well as many subsequent popes, bishops, and priests during the church's first 270 years were in fact married men, and often fathers. The practice of clerical continence along with a prohibition of marriage to men once ordained a deacon, priest or bishop by the Council of Elvira. This law was reinforced in the West at the Council of Carthage in 390. It remains law today for Latin Rite Catholics, but not for Eastern Catholics. Until recently, the Eastern Catholic bishops of North America would generally ordain only unmarried men, for fear that married priests would create scandal. Since Vatican II's call for the restoration of Eastern Catholic traditions, a number of bishops have returned to the traditional practice of ordaining married men to the presbyterate. Bishops are still celibate and normally chosen from the ranks of monks.
https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index...834AAkJ2S6
Again Even though Paul was unmarried, He told timothy this in 1 tim 4: Any forbidding marriage is a false teacher.
 The Spirit clearly says that in the last times some will turn away from what we believe. They will obey spirits that tell lies. And they will follow the teachings of demons. 2 Those teachings come through people who tell lies and trick others. These evil people cannot see what is right and what is wrong. It is like their conscience has been destroyed with a hot iron. 3 They say that it is wrong to marry. 
do you get it now?
According to Paul no one is allowed to tell another they can not marry for the sake of God. Paul foresaw a day in the end times where this would be a common practice in the name of God. The Catholic leadership has been forbidden to marry. therefore by the authority of Paul these are false teachings.

(August 17, 2017 at 1:39 pm)Thena323 Wrote:
(August 17, 2017 at 11:34 am)Drich Wrote: First names anyway and yes, I have snuck a peek of the book of life, inso far as what God shares of it.

Oh, I see. 
I presume this happened during the fever-dream in which when you visited Down Below?

NOTE: Down Below isn't a chain/grocery/outlet store with rock bottom prices; It's what I call Hell sometimes.

If you took the time to read what I have said... you'd see the list I have is given in scripture. A list of any and every church would identify as non "christians" being welcomed into Heaven with God.

That is why I say, we do not have the authority no the power to label someone 'christian/saved.' Because millions will be labled saved (as fortold in the bible) that never uttered the name Christ. Meaning it is not the church or ritual that saves us/makes us Christian. Only Jesus can do that.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Which denominations have you spotted on this forum? - by Drich - August 17, 2017 at 3:17 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which version of xtianity is most likely to be correct? FrustratedFool 20 1159 December 8, 2023 at 10:21 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  God's preferred denominations LinuxGal 1 911 November 26, 2022 at 11:00 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  which version of christianity is correct? Drich 86 8955 March 30, 2020 at 3:34 am
Last Post: Dundee
  Human Reason and Christian Denominations Bahana 92 15209 April 20, 2018 at 9:25 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Which is the cause, which the effect: religious fundamentalism <=> brain impairment Whateverist 31 5267 March 20, 2018 at 3:20 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Which Jesus is real? Foxaèr 40 8200 August 9, 2017 at 11:52 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Truth in a story which is entirely dependent upon subjective interpretation Astonished 47 6335 January 10, 2017 at 8:57 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Christians, would you have saved Jesus, if you had he chance? Simon Moon 294 34456 July 2, 2016 at 11:23 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Theists i want a quick forum chat with you dyresand 24 6379 July 25, 2015 at 2:03 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Perfect, Best of Possible, or Better than Nothing: Which criterion? Hatshepsut 35 6646 May 19, 2015 at 6:12 am
Last Post: robvalue