Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 11, 2024, 6:18 pm

Poll: Is there any aspect/type of god you as an atheist would be happy to discover existed?
This poll is closed.
The biblical god in all his tyrannical, OT bad-assedness.
6.67%
1 6.67%
Just the loving hippy of the NT.
0%
0 0%
One that is concerned with human conduct and hands out eternal bliss or torture in a life-exit interview.
6.67%
1 6.67%
One that listens to 'prayers' or reads your mind and chooses life events with your development in mind; the 'world' for this sort of god is a kind of theater with no independent or necessary existence.
0%
0 0%
An all-powerful one that created everything from nothing just the way it is on purpose but has covered his tracks to make natural causes more plausible.
6.67%
1 6.67%
Not all-powerful, one possessed of some creative powers but not limitless, creating some forms but all from pre-existing substrata, not from 'nothing'.
26.67%
4 26.67%
One that is drastically older (approaching eternality?) and has seen it all but relates to you-as-consciousness as a kind of benevolent big brother and values your companionship without judgements or need for your worship.
53.33%
8 53.33%
Total 15 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'd like to ask my fellow atheists if they would be happy to learn there was a god.
RE: I'd like to ask my fellow atheists if they would be happy to learn there was a god.
(August 31, 2017 at 11:36 am)Catholic_Lady Wrote: A lot of folks are talking about worship and how they see that as an ego thing and how that turns them off. On the surface level, I can see how you guys feel that way. 

But I think perhaps you're seeing it in a way that isn't as it was intended. Or at least in a way that is completely different from how I see it. To worship means to have reverence and adoration for, right? Now, if there was a God who was literally the embodiment of love and goodness itself, wouldn't it make sense to adore those things? To bow down before them, give yourself over to them, put them above all else? 
I already know someone who's the embodiment of love and goodness, on both counts she far exceeds your god by any description.  I still don't bow before her, give myself over to her, or put her above all else.......and it;s not excactly like this is an accurate description of your god worship anyway.

You conveniently ignore the nasty shit in your appraisal of god, and then conveniently ignore further nasty shit in your worship thereof.

Quote:The way I see it, since my belief in God is that He is love and goodness, worshiping Him isn't just about praying and going to church. Though those things are definitely a supplemental/important part of it, in isolation by themselves they aren't true adoration for love and goodness. That part of it get's put into action by how we treat the people and the world around us. We can't really adore goodness and love if we don't strive for those things, make them a main focus of life, and act act accordingly. 
You must have a novel definition of "love and goodness".  Meanwhile, I';m perfectly capable of adoring goodness and love..and striving for both, making them a focus of my life and acting accordingly in the absence of your god.  To be frank, your variant of god belief would be an obstacle to each and every one of those things.

Quote:So it's not that God *needs* us to worship Him as part of some ego boost thing. It's that He *wants* us to worship Him because He made us for love and knows true happiness and fulfillment will come from embracing it and knowing it as fully as possible. And part of that comes from knowing and adoring Him, whom is Himself love. 
-and some parents make children in a bid to keep their spouses.  I;m not sure how this should inform the child as to how to live it;s life - nor does it confer any duty on the child to fulfill the woeful intended purpose.  If some god wants me to love him..then he should at least -try- to be lovable.  I'm pretty easy, he wouldn't have to try very hard.  Presuming he made me for love, he already knows this.

Quote:I know yall don't believe any of that, but I wanted to clarify the whole worship thing as I see it and was taught it.
It doesn't matter whether or not a person believes in any of it, if it were true...it would still be ridiculous. An inept and lonely god who wishes me to ignore his faults in order to love him...but who won;t do the simplest of things that so many other people have done in order to induce my love in spite of or even because of their many faults. Your god sounds like an emotionally stunted child, who yearns for even lesser versions of himself to praise him specifically for being stunted.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Messages In This Thread
RE: I'd like to ask my fellow atheists if they would be happy to learn there was a god. - by The Grand Nudger - August 31, 2017 at 11:46 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  If you learned that the god of [insert religion] is real, would all bets be off? Sicnoo0 58 4313 February 25, 2024 at 1:04 am
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  Dear Atheists: what would convince you God/Christ is Real? JJoseph 207 11538 February 12, 2024 at 1:51 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  Atheists, if God doesnt exist, then explain why Keanu Reeves looks like Jesus Christ Frakki 9 1051 April 1, 2023 at 4:07 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  Maybe there's something like a god out there. Ryantology 38 3040 June 5, 2020 at 8:42 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Atheists: What if Trump addressed your issues in America. Would you vote for him? Sanau 38 4689 March 30, 2020 at 8:15 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Do you wish there's a god? Catharsis 580 45484 April 10, 2019 at 12:17 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  Do u want there to be a God? Any God? Agnostico 304 30324 December 19, 2018 at 1:20 am
Last Post: Amarok
  Atheists: What would you say to a dying child who asks you if they'll go to heaven? DodosAreDead 91 11487 November 2, 2018 at 9:07 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  What is your stance on magic fellow atheists ? tahaadi 42 4739 October 13, 2018 at 9:51 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  If there were no atheists? Graufreud 24 4171 July 20, 2018 at 4:22 pm
Last Post: Angrboda