Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 3:16 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why did god allow people to be born after the fall ?
RE: Why did god allow people to be born after the fall ?
(November 6, 2017 at 1:39 pm)alpha male Wrote: No. You previously allowed free will, but now you're attempting to shift the fault from people's free choices back to God.

But it isn't free willed people sending anyone to be tortured neither did free willed people create hell, the bottom line is god knew what would happen but went ahead anyway.

Quote:Or ignorant. For instance, did you know that the Mosaic law which you reference was offered by God to Israel, and the freely accepted it?

Oh course they were not, anyone who disobeyed was stoned, hardly fruitful ground for free will, I'm really surprised you don't know this.
When I say to my daughter she has a few choices I don't give her one that results in a painful death, and then call it a free and fair choice. It constantly amazes me how theists minds are so easily twisted like this.

Quote:And again, that's rewarding enemies at the expense of friends, which makes no sense.

But yet you state you are happy with people after the rapture not getting a choice, even those who would believe.

Quote:Dealing with is not really what happens, you don't deal with something that was your plan from the start, you simply execute your plan, there is no justice involved in doing what you planned to do anyway.

Either way he's handling his responsibilities, which was your point.

He does not have any responsibilities if he is truly what we call a god and can do whatever he wants, to have responsibilities you have to have someone to be responsible to. the point being that eternal torture is such an arbitrary petty thing to do it's clearly not a god worth following puts him in the same league as Allah.

Quote:The point being it is incompatible with biblical claims such as a desire to see all men saved, when all along his plan was definitely that many more go to hell, even potential future believers.

With free will, God doesn't get all his desires.
That's not incompatible, it's a consequence of free will.

But it was his desire to create people who would go to hell and be tortured for eternity, it was his plan from the beginning, so yes even with free will god gets all he desires.  There is a clear contradiction in scripture, it is insane to implement a plan you know will result in hell, if it's your desire to not have anyone go to hell.

Quote:Well no, once you believe something to be true, and this is especially true of religious belief given the consequences you think will happen if you challenge it then no, you cannot question it.

No clue what you're saying here.

For instance would you stone your child for disobeying you, if it meant disobeying god if you didn't ?

Quote:Then what point were you making

That there is a purpose for the unsaved, so you can't simply say that God should have just allowed the birth of those who would be saved.

If there is a purpose for the unsaved, then being unsaved is all part of god's plan, so hell is also a part of gods plan, but that's the point does that make sense when god wishes all men to be saved ?

The Romans 9 passage is about Israel, not the unsaved per-say. but that god allowed the gentiles in to make Israel jealous.  But then claims all Israel will be saved.  The bottom line is there is no justification at all other than a brainwashing to believe so.

Someone who creates people just to be put in a place of torture is simply not compatible with a loving god. These are a perfect example of how religion twists peoples mind from the obvious to the implausible.

(November 6, 2017 at 7:22 pm)Cod Wrote: [quote='alpha male' pid='1651484' dateline='1509925025']

First, when you're discussing something you believe in and addressing challenges to those beliefs, it's not a waste.

Second, from  our POV we have eternity, so even if time here is wasted, it's not much of a loss. You guys only have this one life. It's sad actually.

What is sad is that you believe that you are heading for an eternal existence somewhere. What do you envisage this existence to be like? Do you not think that an eternal existence would be torture to endure? Do you think you get to opt out after 500,000 years when the boredom becomes too much for you, or are you stuck with it?
[/quote]

Apparently they are also going to praise god forever, i think i would opt out at the third rendition of 'Shine Jesus Shine'

(November 6, 2017 at 3:29 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: [quote='Astreja' pid='1651964' dateline='1509993147']

The reason that the hell concept is a deal-breaker for me regarding the Christian god is that I can actually emphasize with people trapped in hell.  Where is that empathy in the people defending the actions of that god?

Why do so many people defend the schoolyard bully and claim that the beat-up kid had it coming, rather than calling out the bully?

Even though i dont believe in the fire and brimstone version of hell you are presenting here, if that is how it was and someone like Hitler was there, id have a hard time feeling sorry for him. Or seeing him as a victim of bullying. Itd be pretty ironic to see him as a beat up kid or victim of bullying considering what he did in those concentration camps to millions of innocent people and families.
[/quote]

Many Christians believe different things about hell, but the concept of hell is of course not limited to the Abrahamic religions, the Jews likely got theirs as a variation of the Babylonian and other cultures afterlife.

https://listverse.com/2013/09/04/10-fasc...s-of-hell/

(November 6, 2017 at 6:03 pm)SteveII Wrote:
Quote:Because you asked "why" several times. "What is God's purpose" is exactly the answer to the question "why". 

God's purpose was not in question, with foreknowledge he created a world of sin and pain, that was his plan.

Quote:Well yes, a depressing feature that Christianity has use to great effect to coerce the ignorant, more to the point do you believe the bible to be true when it talks about hell ? or do you believe burning in hell forever does not fit a description of untold suffering ?

Not so fast. Your OP specifically said "why he allowed people to be born who had not even existed before procreation to enter a world of suffering?". Shifting your "suffering" window to include hell weakens you point significantly. If hell is a result of free actions and God does not want anyone to go there, then it is a consequence of a bad choice, not the original purpose.

The world of suffering includes hell, that was god's plan from the beginning after all the amount of time sinners are going to spend on earth is dwarfed to insignificance by the time spent in hell (forever).
And of course it was gods original purpose he cannot be all knowing and at the same time do something that is not his original purpose, that's just silly and contradictory.  

Quote:Then god created us like that, making judging us for those traits a nonsense

With free will?? Yes, he did. You cannot have love or true worship without fee will. Your point would only be persuasive if we could not avoid judgement. We can, so your objection is weak from a logic standpoint. 

We can't avoid judgement. (according to the bible), what you mean is we can choose to obey, but what is the value of choosing to obey if we can't choose any other without punishment.
And frankly god is doing a very poor job of promoting the good side of obeying him, when we see what evil the church has done, one would have thought that at the very least he would keep his own in check.

Quote:Well yes, absolutely but free will under duress of hell is not really free will at all.

Again, that might be a good point if that was the only reason for becoming a Christian. It is clearly not, so it is not a very strong point either.

But still duress

Quote:Oh nobody is stopping god if he existed making more, just that he spare the rest of us poor folks eternity in hell.  Why not simply create spiritual beings, cut out the middle man so to speak.  Why create fragile human beings at all ?

Since it is becoming clear that you are not going to read the article I will paste it below. Additionally, you seem to be arguing against a religion that you know very little about. Trying to make logical arguments without understanding God's purpose, free will, God's holiness and justice, and other pretty basic doctrines, is only convincing to someone who has assumed the conclusion--not reasoned to it. 

Question: "What is the purpose of man, according to the Bible?"

Answer: 
The Bible makes it abundantly clear that God created man and that He created him for His glory (). Therefore, the ultimate purpose of man, according to the Bible, is simply to glorify God.

A harder question to answer, perhaps, is what does it look like to glorify God? In , we’re told to worship God with gladness and “know that the Lord is God. It is he who made us, and we are his; we are his people, the sheep of his pasture.” Part of what it looks like to glorify God is to acknowledge who God is (our Creator, for starters) and to praise and worship Him as such.

We fulfill our purpose of glorifying God also by living our lives in relationship and faithful service to Him (1 Samuel 12:24John 17:4). Since God created man in His image (Genesis 1:26–27), man’s purpose cannot be fulfilled apart from Him. King Solomon tried living for his own pleasure, yet at the end of his life he concluded that the only worthwhile life is one of honor and obedience to God ().

In our fallen state, sin separates us from God and makes it impossible to glorify Him on our own. But through Jesus Christ’s sacrifice, our relationship with God is reconciled—our sin is forgiven and no longer creates a barrier between God and us ().

Interestingly, we are able to glorify God because He gave us glory first. David writes in Psalm 8:4–6, “What is mankind that you are mindful of them, human beings that you care for them? You have made them a little lower than the angels and crowned them with glory and honor. You made them rulers over the works of your hands; you put everything under their feet.” (This is also repeated in Hebrews 2:6–8.) This verse reveals another purpose that God has given man: dominion over the earth (). Again, though, this can only be properly fulfilled through a right relationship with God.

The more we get to know our Creator and the more we love Him (Matthew 22:37–38), the better we understand who we are and what our purpose is. We were created to bring Him glory. God has unique plans and purposes for each person (Psalm 139:13–16), but we can know that, whatever those plans look like, they will ultimately result in His glory (Proverbs 3:61 Corinthians 10:31).  https://www.gotquestions.org/purpose-of-man.html

None of that answers my question, it's just a babble of various scripture references and links along with what the author thinks.
It does however say that he has a plan for everyone (some of which will include going to hell), so those destined for hell are planned to do so, so why then do you believe in free will ?

(November 6, 2017 at 1:44 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: [quote='possibletarian' pid='1649357' dateline='1509671435']
Question 1
If he had simply stopped reproduction then only those responsible will have suffered, instead of the insanity of being born to abusers, religious nut jobs, along with death disease and suffering then he could simply have started again.  We do it it with cattle, animals, even humans if they have a disease that threatens the rest of us  or the rest of a heard of cattle, they isolate and often kill the diseased cattle to stop it infecting others.

I'm not asking why god allows suffering, but rather why he allowed people to be born who had not even existed before procreation to enter a world of suffering?

My guess would be because He saw that ultimately whatever goodness came from allowing humans to exist would far outweigh the suffering. If this weren't the case, I assume He wouldn't have done it.

What amount of good would there have to be to outweigh the suffering ? I mean to a god who could presumably make the world the way he wanted it.
It's not a question i expect you to know a clear answer too, after all I don't know what the answer to that would like either.

Quote:Question 2
If there is some kind  of argument that there has to be a number god has to reach, then where are these spirits/souls before they are born into human bodies ?  Do you perhaps believe in some kind of re-incarnation, or souls waiting for an incarnation ?

I'm not sure what you are talking about with this "numbers" thing. In my religion, we believe that souls don't exist prior to a person being conceived. They begin existing at that moment. No, I do not believe in reincarnation or souls waiting to be incarnated.

Well does not bible talk about in Romans 11:25 '
Some of the people of Israel have hard hearts, but this will last only until the full number of Gentiles comes to Christ.' And then I assume it will go back to Israel again, but this time they will see the truth.

And souls not even existing till conception (which is pretty much what i thought most Christians believed) makes me wonder why god didn't stop procreation then.
'Those who ask a lot of questions may seem stupid, but those who don't ask questions stay stupid'

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why did god allow people to be born after the fall ? - by possibletarian - November 6, 2017 at 7:51 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The People of Light vs The People of Darkness Leonardo17 2 569 October 27, 2023 at 7:55 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Kenya cult deaths: Four die after suspected starvation plot zebo-the-fat 0 544 April 14, 2023 at 11:15 am
Last Post: zebo-the-fat
  Did God play peek-a-boo? LinuxGal 36 3148 March 16, 2023 at 10:09 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  [Serious] For former Christians only, why did you leave your faith? Jehanne 159 13209 January 16, 2023 at 7:36 am
Last Post: h4ym4n
  7th grader commits suicide after being told that he is going to Hell. Jehanne 12 1503 December 9, 2021 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  Why did Jesus suffer for sinners and not victims zwanzig 177 19249 June 9, 2021 at 11:14 am
Last Post: John 6IX Breezy
  Video #2 Why bad things happen to Good people. Drich 13 1667 January 6, 2020 at 11:05 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Christian family fined after arguing taxes 'against God's will' zebo-the-fat 19 2116 July 23, 2019 at 1:26 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Why did the Jews lie about Jesus? Fake Messiah 65 5879 March 28, 2019 at 5:32 pm
Last Post: Aliza
  Did Jesus call the Old Testament God the Devil, a Murderer and the Father of Lies? dude1 51 8507 November 6, 2018 at 12:46 pm
Last Post: Angrboda