Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 4:05 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Abortion: 10 years as an atheist and I still don't get it
RE: Abortion: 10 years as an atheist and I still don't get it
(June 16, 2019 at 11:59 pm)EgoDeath Wrote: I'm very conflicted on the issue of abortion and always have been. That being said, I always have been and more than likely always will be pro-choice... however, there are things that no person on the left has ever been able to adequately answer...

Have you tried the right?
Why is this subject divided politically into right and left?
Is it because the right is "conservative" and thus just wants to retain the status quo of old times, when women had no rights whatsoever? Perhaps... Still, the right is also equated with liberal capitalist with no government oversight on how businesses are run... free market, they call it. Screw the people and make profit, I call it.

(June 16, 2019 at 11:59 pm)EgoDeath Wrote: 1. If a woman chooses to have sex with someone, knowing that getting pregnant is a possible result of having sex, why should that women have the "right" to end that potential life? There seems to be this idea in today's age that we should all be able to do what we want without any repercussions or consequences. I think most women probably dread having to get an abortion, but if it is such a dreadful thing to go through, why even have sex in the first place? Abstinence is a pretty sure-fire way to never end up with an unwanted kid.

Let's begin with your very first few words... What happens when a man chooses to have sex? The pregnancy result is just as likely, no? It just happens that it's the woman that becomes pregnant, not the man.
The reality is that sex is an enjoyable activity virtually accessible to anyone. That's the main reason people have sex in the first place. Proposing that everyone refrains from sex unless they are fully willing to become parents is, frankly, unrealistic. This means that there will be unplanned, unwanted and undesired pregnancies. These will be unwanted for a myriad of reasons so let's not go into any particular set of them - each case is a case. While some people will go ahead with such unplanned pregnancies, some will do anything in their power to avoid going through with it, even to the point of risking their own lives in the process.

From the cold point of view of "society", a child-bearing age woman represents a greater investment than an unborn fetus. It is thus more desirable to keep that woman around, as healthy as possible, than it is to keep the fetus around and let it grow and become a child. The woman can always (with a few exceptions) have another child, at a time that is more convenient to her and to the future child.

(June 16, 2019 at 11:59 pm)EgoDeath Wrote: 2. Why are we treating fetuses as being on the same level as an infection or something to get rid of? At the end of the day, a fetus is going to become a human. It's not the same as removing a wart or using medicine to get rid of a cold. You are ending a potential life.

That is the way that propagandists have found to try to remove the emotional attachment that binds women to their unborn babies.
I have an issue with that as well.... I find it to be an idiot point to make, but oh well...

(June 16, 2019 at 11:59 pm)EgoDeath Wrote: I'm sure several members here will attempt to answer these, or even attempt to make me look silly for even asking these questions, but I've still never heard these questions answered to my satisfaction.

My suggestion is to keep asking. Wink

(June 16, 2019 at 11:59 pm)EgoDeath Wrote: I think the undeniable fact is: abortion is a terrible thing. In a perfect world, it would never have to happen. Then again, in a perfect world, a child would never be brought up unwanted in a home not suitable for animals, let alone humans. In a perfect world, a woman would never have to carry her rapist's child. In a perfect world, a lot of things wouldn't happen, but we don't live in a perfect world.

In my opinion, abortions should be as limited as possible. But that's just the opinion of a cis-gendered straight white male, so to the left, my voice doesn't matter a whole lot.

In my opinion, we should try to make the world such that people wouldn't feel the need to abort.
But, as long as they do feel such a need, we shouldn't penalize them for doing it and we should also provide the necessary framework for it to be done as safely as possible. If we do this, the loss of life (and quality of life) should be minimal.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Abortion: 10 years as an atheist and I still don't get it - by pocaracas - June 18, 2019 at 7:43 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Abortion-Killing: The Silent Genocide: 2 Billion Deaths Victims Worldwide. Nishant Xavier 343 15763 September 2, 2023 at 9:47 pm
Last Post: MarcusA
  Abortion poll Agnostico 75 7524 June 20, 2022 at 3:56 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  why do people still have faith in god even after seeing their land turned into dust? zempo 8 1465 June 20, 2021 at 8:16 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Why am I still worrying about coming out as atheist? Der/die AtheistIn 48 5537 February 11, 2018 at 10:37 am
Last Post: Little Rik
  Would I still be an atheist if I believed this? SuperSentient 21 3554 March 23, 2017 at 3:15 am
Last Post: SuperSentient
  You can be an atheist and still follow the ten commandments as guidelines ErGingerbreadMandude 48 9711 January 30, 2017 at 3:00 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Controlled by fables from thousands of years ago! thool 19 2476 January 18, 2017 at 10:22 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  300 years, yet atheism has not grown into a viable movement | Bart Campolo mralstoner 31 4477 October 20, 2016 at 6:27 am
Last Post: comet
  Closet Atheist Coming Out and Telling Family and Friends You're An Atheist Cholley71 10 7051 September 27, 2016 at 1:01 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Poll for atheists - Do you still celebrate Christmas and why? jeebusmubummed 101 14699 September 17, 2016 at 9:13 pm
Last Post: DanTheOutlaw