Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 9:54 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Abortion: 10 years as an atheist and I still don't get it
RE: Abortion: 10 years as an atheist and I still don't get it
(February 26, 2020 at 9:05 am)Klorophyll Wrote:
(February 25, 2020 at 5:22 pm)The Grand Nudger Wrote: Sure it can.  I don't believe in gods, I know that there are different kinds of life.  Why did you think this would be difficult?

It's difficult because you can't make one kind of life more valuable than another, all life is made up with the same stuff, following essentially the same biological processes etc. and as such all lives are on an equal footing, and deserve equal chances of survival, unless religion kicks in.
That's something that -you- think, not something that atheists think.  Your own inability to understand why the differences in life lead to different moral conclusions about how we treat life is your own problem, and not atheist's problem.  

Any human being with two brain cells to rub together can recognize a moral difference in using a hedge trimmer on a bush, and a human hand.  It doesn't matter whether or not gods exists, and obviously we don't need to talk about gods to show why that would be a problem.  We need only refer to the differences between a bush and a human being.  

Hoping to offer some criticism of atheism, instead...you've indicated that you..personally, would not know why that was wrong in the absence of some djinn.  Is that really true?  

Quote:
(February 25, 2020 at 5:22 pm)The Grand Nudger Wrote: Now we're on to materialism.  It's important to point out that atheists don't have to be materialists, but it's no more difficult for a materialist to offer a set of value judgements than it is for you to do the same.  None of these things you're asking about are problems.  Who told you they were?  Why would they be?

The value judgments you're about to offer can't be justified. Supposing god automatically makes the human life more privileged. Other than that we're just a pack of matter.
Sure they can.  More to the point, supposing god has no bearing on objective moral values anyway.  Either things are morally true with respect to facts about the object or act....moral realism - or they are true with respect to facts about some subject - their attitudes, feelings, and wishes.  Moral subjectivism.

You're only telling me than nothing is objectively right or wrong in your moral system..and that you, incapable of an objective moral calculus, must presuppose that morality is subjective.  All well and good, but as a subjectivist..you don't really have the ability to make claims regarding others lack of justification. At the worst, the very worst, they're equally as subjective as your own moral system, and we're all bickering over whether chocolate or vanilla is the best flavor of ice cream. Obviously, I think there's a difference between the best flavor of ice cream, and whether or not it's morally acceptable to trim a bush or trim a human hand....and that the difference isn't some silly fucking gods preference for people.

You're free to expound upon that opinion though, and show why I'd have to refer to your god, or any god, in order to have a justified opinion on the moral status of those two acts. Can you do that, or is this just another thing that you believe in the absence of any justification and in spite of facts directly in front of you? Let;s be clear here. Do you really believe that the only possible moral systems are those that involve ghosts, or would it be more accurate to say that you understand that those moralities are possible..and do, in fact, exist...and that they are wrong...?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Abortion: 10 years as an atheist and I still don't get it - by The Grand Nudger - February 26, 2020 at 9:18 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Abortion-Killing: The Silent Genocide: 2 Billion Deaths Victims Worldwide. Nishant Xavier 343 15763 September 2, 2023 at 9:47 pm
Last Post: MarcusA
  Abortion poll Agnostico 75 7524 June 20, 2022 at 3:56 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  why do people still have faith in god even after seeing their land turned into dust? zempo 8 1465 June 20, 2021 at 8:16 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Why am I still worrying about coming out as atheist? Der/die AtheistIn 48 5537 February 11, 2018 at 10:37 am
Last Post: Little Rik
  Would I still be an atheist if I believed this? SuperSentient 21 3554 March 23, 2017 at 3:15 am
Last Post: SuperSentient
  You can be an atheist and still follow the ten commandments as guidelines ErGingerbreadMandude 48 9712 January 30, 2017 at 3:00 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Controlled by fables from thousands of years ago! thool 19 2476 January 18, 2017 at 10:22 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  300 years, yet atheism has not grown into a viable movement | Bart Campolo mralstoner 31 4488 October 20, 2016 at 6:27 am
Last Post: comet
  Closet Atheist Coming Out and Telling Family and Friends You're An Atheist Cholley71 10 7051 September 27, 2016 at 1:01 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Poll for atheists - Do you still celebrate Christmas and why? jeebusmubummed 101 14699 September 17, 2016 at 9:13 pm
Last Post: DanTheOutlaw