Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 5, 2024, 2:44 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Funny Thing Happened on the way to the forum....
RE: A Funny Thing Happened on the way to the forum....
(June 19, 2019 at 3:22 am)Fake Messiah Wrote: Way to go Blequa completely ignoring my post. Why didn't you answer the questions I posed in that post? Is it because you are dishonest?

I didn't deny that in medieval and Renaissance Europe, nearly everyone was a Christian, or at least professed to be, simply because it was a universal belief that prominent people defied at peril of execution. But, as I explained in that post, Christianity is against freethinking.

I truly wish that Christianity was science oriented, that priests and other clergy are calling for more medical research, that they're not saying how condoms can't prevent AIDS, that they are for stem cell research, for launching more robot probes into space to explore solar system, but they're not.

Let me quote from Leo Furcht, MD, and William Hoffman from their book on stem cell research:
While during last two centuries most of the major advances in medicine have taken place in western world, the barriers that religions in the west are imposing now has caused Singapore, China, India, South Korea, Taiwan, and other Asian countries to invest heavily in stem cell research, and without heated public debate over the moral status of the human embryo (blastomere).
The most famous one is Biopolis in Singapore that has generous research grants, tax breaks, and numerous other governmental incentives worth many millions of US dollars.

It appears that some religious people oppose stem cell research. Do you have any data on what percentage of religious people feel this way? 

I don't see it as a catastrophe that Asian people lead the way in such research. Asians are people too, and often do good science these days. In the US and Europe, good science is far more likely to be opposed by capitalists. (cf. Monsanto)

Anti-vaxxers are conspiracy people, not religious usually. 

Which religious people are opposed to space exploration? 

For every religious leader you can name who opposed good science, I can name others who supported it. Did you know that the Cappadocian Fathers vigorously advocated medical research, including human dissection, in the 4th century? Have you ever read about the Oxford Calculators, theologians who made Newton's work possible? Or Newton himself, for that matter, who was enthusiastically and sincerely Christian? 

Your contention that science and religion are intrinsically opposed is not borne out by the historical facts. It is a myth, based on exaggerations and ideology. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conflict_thesis

Messages In This Thread
RE: A Funny Thing Happened on the way to the forum.... - by Belacqua - June 19, 2019 at 4:14 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A thing I saw on a site that I want to comment on ShinyCrystals 5 366 March 21, 2024 at 1:33 pm
Last Post: ShinyCrystals
Information The worst thing according to Iranians Eclectic 2 856 September 19, 2022 at 4:32 pm
Last Post: Eclectic
  Theocracy on the way Spongebob 94 5809 January 19, 2022 at 4:56 pm
Last Post: Spongebob
  Atheists, do you think Florence Nightingale was a way better person than that fraud Kimbu42 6 997 October 11, 2021 at 9:43 am
Last Post: Fireball
  Local woman says only way she has survived during COVID is faith Tomatoshadow2 41 2873 December 21, 2020 at 4:56 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  Atheists. Does life uh... find a way? Richimorto 6 1002 July 29, 2020 at 12:44 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  A possibly new perspective on this thing that we know as God. unityconversation 157 14496 March 18, 2020 at 1:08 am
Last Post: Rahn127
  The Nice Thing About Being An Atheist JackRussell 83 27810 July 21, 2017 at 1:33 pm
Last Post: KevinM1
  The only way I could believe ....... Brian37 16 3435 April 28, 2017 at 7:25 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Losing my religion was the best thing that ever happened to me. Mechaghostman2 30 5934 November 6, 2016 at 6:08 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus